follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
BoostJunkie
RaggedEdge Autosports

Drives: 97 APU Supra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Turbo/Supercharging Your FRS

Tell us how you plan to or would like to do to the FRS when you decide to take the plunge and go boosted, whether it be turbocharger or supercharger, small single or moderately big single, custom tubular manifold or cast manifold, for track use or just a fun street car. Tell us, just for some fun.

If you are not here to post thoughts on a setup or comment about an idea, and are just trying to argue that this is dumb and there are other things that YOU think are more important, then GTFO, there are other threads for what your probably thinking and if there isn't, then start one, but please stay on topic

This thread is basically to hear the other side of the community, I think we've heard plenty from the ones that are satisfied with 200bhp in a 2600/2700 lb car

Last edited by BoostJunkie; 02-02-2012 at 01:13 PM.
BoostJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
DommerEOD
I'm a Carcissist

Drives: JERRV , 11 STI, 07 FJ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
If TRD does end up releasing the supercharger, i will get it. That along with some nice exhaust and intake. I won't get to into the tuning of it, just simple power increase/bolt ons will be good enough for me. But first, some suspension goodies to help put the power to the ground

Basically, i'll be keeping it simple.. faster than stock, & turns even faster, but hopefully retains it's daily driver comfort.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Syldrin
Troll Feeder

Drives: boosted scion tc.
my plans are to take my GTX3076R and some other parts like my tial MV-R, Q BoV, and my intercooler off scion tc and see if i can't build around those. assuming that it is a viable option and the the car doesnt blow like crazy when boosted. thats also one of the reasons i am going to wait a year or 2 before it comes out to get it. i would like to have a 500ish RWHP car but i could very well be dreaming and this car might not be able to make that kind of power without swapping the engine. and at that point i honestly don't know if i would be interested in it.

Greddy is still working on a FA20 turbo kit too so i would like to see what kind of power that puts down so i can see the ballpark we are working with for boost.
Syldrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #4
KaliKev
FT86 News Addict

Drives: Toyota FJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DommerEOD View Post
If TRD does end up releasing the supercharger, i will get it. That along with some nice exhaust and intake. I won't get to into the tuning of it, just simple power increase/bolt ons will be good enough for me. But first, some suspension goodies to help put the power to the ground

Basically, i'll be keeping it simple.. faster than stock, & turns even faster, but hopefully retains it's daily driver comfort.
Ditto.
KaliKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
merlin2111

Drives: Widebody '94 Miata R-Package
Garage
I like the idea of a supercharger or maybe a dual/twin setup to minimize lag. I have contemplated it many times for my miata. I don't want to have to worry about this car as it will be my DD so reliability is key. A low boost supercharger giving a similar power band to stock with just more push would be nice. Maybe getting it up to 250hp and 230ft/lbs. I will drive it stock for a long time though so this might be put on at around 60k when I would do an engine refresh and maybe swap out some internals.

I fully plan on learning by example and will let the big boys blow some engines up and take the path they have blazed.

I <3 my Miata.
But I <3 my new BRZ even more!
merlin2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
NA Subaru engines have never liked boost. I'm not sure this one will be any different, but I know it will be way more complex. If I do get one of these this model year, it's not having any appreciable engine modifications until the warranty is up. Hopefully, by that time the aftermarket will have figured out what's going on or a factory turbo version will come out. Personally, I see those offset/asymmetrical con-rods being an issue unless this engine really sees some development from the aftermarket. I'm not sure how much of a tuner car this actually will be; I'm rather certain most of the tuner-friendly marketing is simply that: marketing.

In any case, for the average user, extensive engine modifications on a brand new ~$25K car are out of the question.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
BoostJunkie
RaggedEdge Autosports

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin2111 View Post
I like the idea of a supercharger or maybe a dual/twin setup to minimize lag. I have contemplated it many times for my miata. I don't want to have to worry about this car as it will be my DD so reliability is key. A low boost supercharger giving a similar power band to stock with just more push would be nice. Maybe getting it up to 250hp and 230ft/lbs. I will drive it stock for a long time though so this might be put on at around 60k when I would do an engine refresh and maybe swap out some internals.

I fully plan on learning by example and will let the big boys blow some engines up and take the path they have blazed.
Unless you were going with a mid sized turbo towards the bigger end, a single turbo on it wouldn't have very much if any lag. I would think you'd have more lag on a twin setup being that only 2 cyclinders drive each turbo, unless they were pretty small like the 300zx turbos, those things look like they should be in a fish tank eating algae.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
BoostJunkie
RaggedEdge Autosports

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
NA Subaru engines have never liked boost. I'm not sure this one will be any different, but I know it will be way more complex. If I do get one of these this model year, it's not having any appreciable engine modifications until the warranty is up. Hopefully, by that time the aftermarket will have figured out what's going on or a factory turbo version will come out. Personally, I see those offset/asymmetrical con-rods being an issue unless this engine really sees some development from the aftermarket. I'm not sure how much of a tuner car this actually will be; I'm rather certain most of the tuner-friendly marketing is simply that: marketing.

In any case, for the average user, extensive engine modifications on a brand new ~$25K car are out of the question.
Judging by the amount of publicity this car has already gotten from diff informative sites/magazines and the fact that greddy has done one for formula D(yes I know it's not the same engine) I think that will help promote it in the aftermarket world and get some good parts/companies back it. Then again maybe not, who knows

Old 02-02-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
Cessblood
Boost equals pleasure

Drives: MT Raven FRS Lexus ES300 &Turbo tc
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Hopefully, by that time the aftermarket will have figured out what's going on or a factory turbo version will come out. Personally.
I think If they are going to make a factory turbo version, it won't come out until 5 years later after the N/A release date.
Cessblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Cessblood
Boost equals pleasure

Drives: MT Raven FRS Lexus ES300 &Turbo tc
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syldrin View Post
my plans are to take my GTX3076R and some other parts like my tial MV-R, Q BoV, and my intercooler off scion tc and see if i can't build around those. assuming that it is a viable option and the the car doesnt blow like crazy when boosted. thats also one of the reasons i am going to wait a year or 2 before it comes out to get it. i would like to have a 500ish RWHP car but i could very well be dreaming and this car might not be able to make that kind of power without swapping the engine. and at that point i honestly don't know if i would be interested in it.

Greddy is still working on a FA20 turbo kit too so i would like to see what kind of power that puts down so i can see the ballpark we are working with for boost.
I was thinking the same thing. Taking parts from my turbo scion tc and work around that or start from scratch. I wouldn't mind a supercharger also.
Cessblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
Syldrin
Troll Feeder

i'd only rock a S/C if it sounded like a kenne bell or whipple s/c i love that sound
Old 02-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
wcbjr

Drives: 2006 Subaru LGT
Supercharger for simplicity. No exhaust work needed. No need for oil. Linear power band.
wcbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #13
BoostJunkie
RaggedEdge Autosports

But going crazy is have the fun.... Lol

Old 02-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
Syldrin
Troll Feeder

why do ppl think you can't get linear power out of a turbo? if it's properly sized you can get linear power. this is on a garrett t3/t4 .60 trim .82A/R.

for example here is my car on 8psi.