follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 12-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #29
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyubi View Post
What are the specs on the Rims in the video? Just trying to get a good Idea of rim/tires to also fit with this
Wheels were Work XD9's in a 18x10 +18 all around with a 225/40 tire.

Let us know if you need any more info!

Thanks,
Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #30
mx5 2nr

Drives: FRS/NA1/'12 Mustang/'97 4Runner
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have always been intriguied by air suspension setups, for their obvious benefits. But I have some (probably really stupid) questions...

(1) Can you program a set "driving height" with these kits? Sorry if I overlooked it in the writeup.

(2) (assuming you can program a "driving height" on the kit) When you get your car aligned with the air setup, does the alignment specs go out of wack when you lower your car and bring it back to "driving height". I suspect the alignment will fall out of spec quicker, no?

Sorry I don't have much experience in air-ride setups, and thanks for the great write up!
'12 Mustang - wife's
mx5 2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #31
RallySport Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx5 2nr View Post
I have always been intriguied by air suspension setups, for their obvious benefits. But I have some (probably really stupid) questions...

(1) Can you program a set "driving height" with these kits? Sorry if I overlooked it in the writeup.

(2) (assuming you can program a "driving height" on the kit) When you get your car aligned with the air setup, does the alignment specs go out of wack when you lower your car and bring it back to "driving height". I suspect the alignment will fall out of spec quicker, no?

Sorry I don't have much experience in air-ride setups, and thanks for the great write up!

Sorry for the late response. This kit will have 8 programmable preset settings. So you could find your ideal "driving height" or where the car will be the majority of the time, program it in, and get the alignment at that setting.

Now once you go lower or higher than that, it will adjust the alignment to a degree depending on how much lower or higher you go. So it would be ideal to get the car aligned with the setting you will use the car the most in, and if you get to a show you can drop it down as the car will most likely not be moving much.

Hope this makes sense and let us know if you have any questions.
Thanks!
Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to RallySport Direct For This Useful Post:
mx5 2nr (12-16-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 01:54 AM   #32
boucher
Leaux Down Krewe

Drives: 2014 SSM Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
I understand that y'all mounted the tank/compressor in the spare tire well so that you would still have use of the trunk, but does driving around without a spare tire concern the owner at all? I'd almost rather mount the tank in the trunk and still have a spare tire. What are pros/cons of doing it either way?
boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #33
mx5 2nr

Drives: FRS/NA1/'12 Mustang/'97 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySport Direct View Post
Hope this makes sense and let us know if you have any questions.
Thanks!
Rick

Thanks Rick!
'12 Mustang - wife's
mx5 2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #34
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher View Post
I understand that y'all mounted the tank/compressor in the spare tire well so that you would still have use of the trunk, but does driving around without a spare tire concern the owner at all? I'd almost rather mount the tank in the trunk and still have a spare tire. What are pros/cons of doing it either way?
mounting in spare tire area

Pros - have space in trunk

cons - lose spare tire

mounting tank IN trunk

Pros - keep spare tire

cons - lose trunk space

lol. I wanted the ability to fold my seats down and put items in my trunk still if I needed to. If things were mounted up top you lose cargo area.

You could always go with mounting the tank outside of the car under the spare tire area like RiskyDevil did, but you need to have an aftermarket exhaust that doesn't take up that area to do so.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
boucher (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #35
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
any notes on handling limitations with this kit?

vs. stock?
vs. street/light track coilovers?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #36
TakeNoL

Drives: Scion FR-S
Is it possible to achieve the opposite results? Instead of a 4" drop, can it be raised 4 inches above stock ride height? I only ask this because i live in snowy NY.
TakeNoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #37
xxscaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeNoL View Post
Is it possible to achieve the opposite results? Instead of a 4" drop, can it be raised 4 inches above stock ride height? I only ask this because i live in snowy NY.
Yes it has a collar and lock rings that you can adjust the height on it up and down like you would with coilovers. The front can get pretty high as it is, higher than stock, and still be able to slam low. the rear is a different story, as the struts are shorter, but its still possible.

I drive in NY with no issues, but you could also just adjust the sleeves up in the winter time and then change them back when its warm out, like coils.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #38
RallySport Direct

Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
any notes on handling limitations with this kit?

vs. stock?
vs. street/light track coilovers?

This is a great question, and while I don't have personal track experience with Air Bags, it really comes down to the spring rates. As you raise the height the "spring rates" will increase as the bags are increasing in pressure. So if you were really anal about that kind of stuff, they would not be the most ideal, but for most people that want a versatile suspension system, the compromises may be worth it. Other than that it would come down to getting a proper alignment for the ride height you are tracking the car with.

Hope this helps!
Thanks,
Rick

Quote:
xxscaxx is correct, you technically can go higher than stock if needed. Now I don't know if you could go a full 4 inches, but higher than stock for sure

Thanks,
Rick
Old 12-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #39
TakeNoL

Drives: Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
Yes it has a collar and lock rings that you can adjust the height on it up and down like you would with coilovers. The front can get pretty high as it is, higher than stock, and still be able to slam low. the rear is a different story, as the struts are shorter, but its still possible.

I drive in NY with no issues, but you could also just adjust the sleeves up in the winter time and then change them back when its warm out, like coils.
Normally i don't have an issue with driving in the winter but the past 2 weeks i got stuck twice. What parts of NY are you in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySport Direct View Post
xxscaxx is correct, you technically can go higher than stock if needed. Now I don't know if you could go a full 4 inches, but higher than stock for sure

Thanks,
Rick
That is good to hear, i definitely want to do this sometime in the future.
TakeNoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #40
xxscaxx

Quote:
Normally i don't have an issue with driving in the winter but the past 2 weeks i got stuck twice. What parts of NY are you in?

That is good to hear, i definitely want to do this sometime in the future.
I'm in Orange County, near the woodbury commons area. But I drive to Poughkeepsie to work everyday.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:02 AM   #41
yuicebox
Banned

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Put me on the list of people who want some feedback on using these things at the track.

If you adjusted the height on the coil to be VERY low, I would imagine you could crank the bag pressure all the way up and obtain good ride height and firm spring rates for the track. I hope people explore this and post up about it.
yuicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:57 PM   #42
xxscaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuicebox View Post
Put me on the list of people who want some feedback on using these things at the track.

If you adjusted the height on the coil to be VERY low, I would imagine you could crank the bag pressure all the way up and obtain good ride height and firm spring rates for the track. I hope people explore this and post up about it.
[ame="http://vimeo.com/78528697"]http://vimeo.com/78528697[/ame]