follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
GTB/ZR-1

Drives: '13 BRZ in WRB--let's mod!!!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Essex AP Sprint kit owners--need your help & feedback--have an issue.

I've been a bit hesitant to post this, but not getting any satisfaction on an issue--so I need to find out if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

My system makes an unusual sound--similar to being near a powerline, or to a lesser extent, putting a playing card in your bike's spokes.

I'm 99.9% certain the kit was installed properly, as I thrashed it @ Roebling Road & had no issues whatsoever w/ performance, and it works normally otherwise.

I've run the pads that came w/ the kit & Hawk HPS & HP+. They all make the same sound in vid below. The pads are the HPS in vid.

I've gone back & forth w/ Dave ROR on PM & he's not having a similar experience. He has many more miles & track days on his setup--so, if anything, his have more abuse than mine.

If this is being experienced by others--well then I'm okay w/ that--as these are a works part & I understand that. If I'm the only one... Well, I think this should be rectified one way or another.

It's a bit hard to make out the sound (sorry for the poor vid), but if you listen closely, the sound can be made out. It's fairly clear abt 2/3 way in, right after I lift off the throttle.

TIA...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57782397@N04/8631670197/
* '09 Nissan GT-R--gone, but not forgotten... 10.63 @ 131+ on streeties.
* '90 ZR-1 11.0 @ 130.2 & 11.2 @ 132.4 sprayed 120 shot.
GTB/ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #2
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
1st time owning slotted rotors?
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
circuithero

Drives: 2006 Infiniti M45S
Perfectly normal.
circuithero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
My Hawk HPS pads make that "card in bike wheel" noise. I believe CSG Mike said the same as well. It's not nearly as noticeable with my track C300 pads.

It's very high pitch and if you're driving against a wall it's much more noticeable.

I asked about it in this thread and Jeff answered on it, plus my brake fluid coming from piston question.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23683

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRitt View Post
Your caliper seals are not leaking. When AP assembles the calipers, they use brake fluid as a lubricant. The seals are coated in brake fluid and slid into the bores, then the pistons are coated in brake fluid and slid into the bores. In fact, they are actually soaked in brake fluid for a while. As a result, there's a little residual fluid on them when they're first installed. It will burn off, show up a little on the pads, etc. as you've seen. This is completely normal.
If a piston seal was leaking:
  1. You'd likely not see it on 8 pistons unless every piston bore, seal, or piston was defective. The odds of that happening on any caliper is highly unlikely, and on an AP Racing caliper, infinitesimal. All calipers are pressure checked by AP at both high and low pressure before leaving the factor, and we inspect them at Essex as well.
  2. If a seal was toast, you'd see more fluid than the tiny little ring on the back of the pad. It would leak steadily.
  3. Your pedal would not be hard if the calipers were leaking. A hydraulic brake system is a closed system, and brake fluid does not compress. If the pedal goes down, it means one of two things A) there is a leak somewhere in the system, or B) there is gas/air in the system that is compressing. If the pedal is rock hard, you don't have a leak or air in the system.
  4. Your fluid reservoir would clearly drop. If you actually did see any lowering of the volume of fluid in your reservoir, it was likely that the pads wore down a little, and you're pushing more fluid out into the lines as the pistons extend further.
No need to worry, you're fine.:happy0180:
Another common occurrence is for people to think their bleed screws are leaking. When you bleed your brakes, there is always a little brake fluid remaining in the tip of the bleed screw. If you don't blow that fluid out with compressed air, brake clean, etc., it will dribble out many times when you get the brakes hot...down onto the side of the caliper. Then it looks like the bleed screws were leaking...happens all the time.

As for the clicking noise...likely either: Pad clicking against J Hooks, pad moving back and forth in caliper a little bit. Just keep tabs on it and let us know how it is after the pads have settled in a bit.
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
My hearing must suck. I really don't hear that noise. I did mention the hawk pads being a little smaller, but so are the CLs and I don't have a constant noise while driving like that.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Hanakuso

Drives: FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
My hearing must suck. I really don't hear that noise. I did mention the hawk pads being a little smaller, but so are the CLs and I don't have a constant noise while driving like that.
Well if that's the case, you could jack your car up and spin the wheel by hand and you can still hear it. Although it was barely noticeable with my C300 pads.

I was thinking maybe the J-hooks are hitting the pads, but I would think it would break off little pieces of the actual rotor or pads. I've driven about 2500 miles on my Sprint kit and have inspected them routinely, haven't noticed any abnormal wear.

IMO I have a feeling the J-hooks might be acting like suction cups if that makes sense.
Hanakuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
D1cker

Drives: B9 S4/ND2
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I'm not getting that noise, but I'm using Ferodo DS2500's
D1cker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #8
GTB/ZR-1

Okay, so this may be normal then... It's not a clacking sound of the pads moving within the caliper, I know what that noise is.

Also, is anyone experiencing what looks like fine metallic brake material on the rear fascia? I've changed exhaust components, so I'm not sure if it's the brake materials, or exhaust residue. It's definitely metallic...

Thanks, guys...
Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
FT-86 SpeedFactory

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,253 Posts
Mentioned: 341 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB/ZR-1 View Post
Okay, so this may be normal then... It's not a clacking sound of the pads moving within the caliper, I know what that noise is.

Also, is anyone experiencing what looks like fine metallic brake material on the rear fascia? I've changed exhaust components, so I'm not sure if it's the brake materials, or exhaust residue. It's definitely metallic...

Thanks, guys...
Normal as well. Our car gets covered in dust. Part of owning brakes like this. They are all business! Love ours.
FT-86 SpeedFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've been a bit hesitant to post this, but not getting any satisfaction on an issue--so I need to find out if anyone else is experiencing the same thing.

My system makes an unusual sound--similar to being near a powerline, or to a lesser extent, putting a playing card in your bike's spokes.

I'm 99.9% certain the kit was installed properly, as I thrashed it @ Roebling Road & had no issues whatsoever w/ performance, and it works normally otherwise.

I've run the pads that came w/ the kit & Hawk HPS & HP+. They all make the same sound in vid below. The pads are the HPS in vid.

I've gone back & forth w/ Dave ROR on PM & he's not having a similar experience. He has many more miles & track days on his setup--so, if anything, his have more abuse than mine.

If this is being experienced by others--well then I'm okay w/ that--as these are a works part & I understand that. If I'm the only one... Well, I think this should be rectified one way or another.

It's a bit hard to make out the sound (sorry for the poor vid), but if you listen closely, the sound can be made out. It's fairly clear abt 2/3 way in, right after I lift off the throttle.

TIA...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57782397@N04/8631670197/
Totally normal. You shouldn't really be hearing it with the windows up and/or the stereo on. I only really notice it windows down and driving next to a brick wall or curb. Eventually, you'll just tune it out.

You will, however, hear it less as the rotors wear, and it'll come back again when you swap on fresh rotors. I'm pretty sure @Dave-ROR is the first to finish off a set of rotors on the AP Sprint kit, so he may be able to elaborate more.

(somewhat) Shameless self-promotion: We are authorized dealers for the Essex AP Racing kits!
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #11
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Totally normal. You shouldn't really be hearing it with the windows up and/or the stereo on. I only really notice it windows down and driving next to a brick wall or curb. Eventually, you'll just tune it out.

You will, however, hear it less as the rotors wear, and it'll come back again when you swap on fresh rotors. I'm pretty sure @Dave-ROR is the first to finish off a set of rotors on the AP Sprint kit, so he may be able to elaborate more.

(somewhat) Shameless self-promotion: We are authorized dealers for the Essex AP Racing kits!

Hmm I did basically throw them on the car and track it immediately so perhaps I never heard this noise because I was beating on mine from day one...

I'll listen when the new rotors come in wednesday, but they will be burnished already
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Hmm I did basically throw them on the car and track it immediately so perhaps I never heard this noise because I was beating on mine from day one...
That's proper break in; I'm starting to think OP may not have completely bedded in the pads.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
GTB/ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
That's proper break in; I'm starting to think OP may not have completely bedded in the pads.
I bedded the pi$$ outta them, thx
* '09 Nissan GT-R--gone, but not forgotten... 10.63 @ 131+ on streeties.
* '90 ZR-1 11.0 @ 130.2 & 11.2 @ 132.4 sprayed 120 shot.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #14
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I bedded the pi$$ outta them, thx
YW BREH!