follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 05-22-2016, 01:46 PM   #323
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobin View Post
Can someone please verify the bleeding instructions? The ones listed above are different than the original post.

OP: Pedal down, loosen valve, tighten valve, pedal up

ck-GT86: loosen valve, pedal down, tighten valve, pedal up

The fluid is under pressure only when the pedal is pushed. Either way will work but I prefer slowly opening the valve and feeling/listening for the air bubbles crackling through a controlled flow under pressure.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:40 PM   #324
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just an update on this mod. It doesn't work. I swapped mine back and forth and felt zero difference and the slave cylinder doesn't move any farther. I'm in the process of making longer push rods to see if that helps with the disengagement issue
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:02 AM   #325
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipstik-sportech View Post
Just an update on this mod. It doesn't work. I swapped mine back and forth and felt zero difference and the slave cylinder doesn't move any farther. I'm in the process of making longer push rods to see if that helps with the disengagement issue
What disengagement issue? Are you talking about some issue you already have with your aftermarket clutch?

If you didn't feel any difference, either you got the wrong part, or your left foot is dead and your measurement wasn't accurate enough to catch a 17% change in stroke.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #326
lychee
Iris- Blue breezy

Drives: Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I bought one of the replacement clutch slaves from napa today but a truck I have been looking at showed up at the dealer. PM me if you want this thing. San Jose

Never mind I told myself I would regret it if I didn't at least try it so I installed it today. It was easy. Clutch feels pretty awesome now. Pedal pressure is closer to the brake pedal pressure feel but a tad lighter. The stock slave should have been an upgrade part. It's almost like they assumed you would install a heavier clutch.

I had it at minimum height just prior to installing the slave. It worked but I was getting a little bit of binding on quick shifts. After the installation the binding is gone with no adjustment to pedal height. I think the pedal rose a little higher due to the new slave.

Last edited by lychee; 10-12-2016 at 12:36 AM.
lychee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lychee For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-03-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #327
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
@Ultramaroon So I need two 10mm crush washers for the swap, right? Planning to grab some from Autozone when I pick up the slave cylinder, need to know exactly what I'm looking for with the gaskets so I can grab those too.

Edit: Found the exact ones someone else bought at Autozone, should work I guess.

Last edited by treminaor; 11-30-2016 at 03:19 AM.
treminaor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to treminaor For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 12:16 AM   #328
Jmonty
Realtor/ Principal Broker

Drives: JRSC BRZ GBS LTD 2010 LTD Outback
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
A big a thank you to @Ultramaroon
Love the feeling
Jmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmonty For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:44 AM   #329
pinetree

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
This looks like a great upgrade!

With this mod and reading about clutch upgrades. Just wondering if anyone with stage 1 clutches (Exedy/ACT) do this mod, and if so worth it or not necessary?

I'm about to change out my clutch, and need opinions, thanks!
pinetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:46 AM   #330
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
This looks like a great upgrade!

With this mod and reading about clutch upgrades. Just wondering if anyone with stage 1 clutches (Exedy/ACT) do this mod, and if so worth it or not necessary?

I'm about to change out my clutch, and need opinions, thanks!
Do this only if you want more feel out of your stock clutch which, by the way, is perfectly ok. It deliberately slips at about the maximum service torque of the stock transmission.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:54 AM   #331
pinetree

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Sounds good,

I recently posted on another thread I made for the clutch...do you recommend stage 1 or OEM if my car is lightly modified (headers, exhaust, tune) for DD? I know it's up to driver preference, just wondering if there's any real advantages to upgrading over OEM.

Thanks!
pinetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #332
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
Sounds good,

I recently posted on another thread I made for the clutch...do you recommend stage 1 or OEM if my car is lightly modified (headers, exhaust, tune) for DD? I know it's up to driver preference, just wondering if there's any real advantages to upgrading over OEM.

Thanks!
None except bragging rights.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #333
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Question: if air gets in the clutch hydraulic system, bleeding thorugh the bleeder screw wouldn't actually get rid of the air since the clutch line and master cylinder are mounted above the slave cylinder, and thus bubbles would float up there and never be released by the slave cylinder bleeder screw, right? Perhaps unbolting the slave and hanging it higher than the master cylinder while bleeding would solve this issue?

Edit: Really thinking about doing this mod but I've already taken out the spring and I'm afraid the clutch will be too heavy after. After adjusting pedal height and removing the spring, the clutch feels pretty good and a good weight but I'm always open to further improvement.

Last edited by ApexEight; 04-28-2017 at 12:05 PM.
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:22 PM   #334
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
Question: if air gets in the clutch hydraulic system, bleeding thorugh the bleeder screw wouldn't actually get rid of the air since the clutch line and master cylinder are mounted above the slave cylinder, and thus bubbles would float up there and never be released by the slave cylinder bleeder screw, right? Perhaps unbolting the slave and hanging it higher than the master cylinder while bleeding would solve this issue?

Edit: Really thinking about doing this mod but I've already taken out the spring and I'm afraid the clutch will be too heavy after. After adjusting pedal height and removing the spring, the clutch feels pretty good and a good weight but I'm always open to further improvement.
I almost answered your question in the other thread. Then @Tcoat went for it. With such narrow tubes moving a semi-viscous liquid, the air bubbles migrate upward MUCH more slowly than the overall flow during bleeding.

Reinstall the spring and swap. The change in ratio is what really restores the control in the clutch. Spring removal is a 'meh' change but I am way over trying to explain that to people.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:59 PM   #335
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I almost answered your question in the other thread. Then @Tcoat went for it. With such narrow tubes moving a semi-viscous liquid, the air bubbles migrate upward MUCH more slowly than the overall flow during bleeding.

Reinstall the spring and swap. The change in ratio is what really restores the control in the clutch. Spring removal is a 'meh' change but I am way over trying to explain that to people.
Thanks to you and @Tcoat for the replies.

Do you know what size the C clip for the clutch spring is? Mine flew off when I took my spring out. Looking to swing by Home Depot to grab another.
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:07 PM   #336
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexEight View Post
Thanks to you and @Tcoat for the replies.

Do you know what size the C clip for the clutch spring is? Mine flew off when I took my spring out. Looking to swing by Home Depot to grab another.
Nope. Take the pin with you. I recommend a decent hardware or auto parts store. I don't remember seeing that kind of stuff at Home Depot.

You will need to use a bunch of little zip ties to compress the spring enough to install it. Cut them after you get it in there.

Do either that or remove the assembly. See the readme on my sig for service manuals. Not my stuff but...

Tags
clutch line, slave cylinder