follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 06-18-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
Evil86

Drives: Monkey-butt red FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
El Toro Super Regional

The car is insanely fun to drive. It has a little too much oversteer right now. I imagine it might be spinable, but so far it is really easy to catch when it starts to go, even when sideways. The turn in is really good, it is precise as hell. The initial acceleration is also pretty darned good, the mid range power dip isn't apparent until it hit 5000 and then it goes. It weighed 2675 lbs. with the muffler delete and the Kosei wheels. I ran 215 wide tires as a started point, but I will go to 225 the next time.

When it hits the rev limit, the loss of power is awful. It drops down too much, so shifting to third will be necessary on fast courses.
It likes being pushed, but it does not seem to care if the driver is out of control or smooth.

My co-driver,Matt, did very well at the event, he placed third, out of 24. I didn't do as well. I was 15. RTR was the biggest class at the event, and it was competive The other FR-S driver also did better than me.
I think I will enjoy autoxing this car.

Also, I think, and so did others, that the car sounds really good with the muffler off. Especially when it is all out, and running at the upper end of the power band..

Now that the Mita MRS and the Soltice ZOK will out of CS, I think I will be
seeing more FT-86 style cars showing up. A lot of people were drooling on the car this week-end. I think between 25 and 35 people asked me about the car, so it was under scruntiny, and Matt brought it home under flying colors, and I didn't shame it.

I really like the events at El Toro, the first day, the course was 1.4 miles long. The first day the runs were in the 90 to 110 second range, and the second day they were upper 70s to 90s.

Last edited by Evil86; 10-04-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Evil86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Evil86 For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (06-18-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
des

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Kevin, nice to meet you and Matt.

The exhaust sounds awesome. And I think we all learned a lot about what works and will need some work (mainly the driving, I suspect). Good luck this season!
des is offline   Reply With Quote