follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2016, 12:53 AM   #29
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,257 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Miata. Buy a FR-S in 2yrs for 8k
Old 02-09-2016, 03:00 PM   #30
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It isn't hard to buy a car from the mainland and ship it over, it just adds to the total cost. I would never buy a rusted out island car even if it was resprayed unless it was exceedingly rare. You are just asking for rust bubbles in a year or two. Obviously if it started rusting the owner probably didn't take good care of other areas of the car.
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtslow For This Useful Post:
SurfAndSand (02-09-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #31
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Errrrr............................No

If you are buying the new alfa 124 spyder abarth that's coming out in a year. Yes. That would be ND + power bump!
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #32
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
Errrrr............................No

If you are buying the new alfa 124 spyder abarth that's coming out in a year. Yes. That would be ND + power bump!
that must be why you bought the frs...for the power
Old 02-10-2016, 01:17 AM   #33
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
Well 124 is 100lb more than Miata with better material everywhere inside. Abarth 124 and regular 124 with 190-200hp@2450lb and 160hp@2400lb, respectively, will be faster than Twins. FR-S/BRZ will not because NO BOOST
Old 02-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #34
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Cool

Quote:
Hey he was asking? I don't know why people need to ask when their heart is already set. I just simply rephrase what his heart is saying.

Man, u are no fun AT ALL.

*To me, what he asked is no different from someone asking if they should wear condom or not....
Old 02-10-2016, 08:28 PM   #35
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
Hey he was asking? I don't know why people need to ask when their heart is already set. I just simply rephrase what his heart is saying.

Man, u are no fun AT ALL.

*To me, what he asked is no different from someone asking if they should wear condom or not....
he he wasnt asking about an alfa or even an nd. he was asking about a decade old nb. the car youre suggesting is like five times more expensive so it just doesnt make a whole lot of sense is all
Old 02-11-2016, 03:16 AM   #36
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Quote:
he he wasnt asking about an alfa or even an nd. he was asking about a decade old nb. the car youre suggesting is like five times more expensive so it just doesnt make a whole lot of sense is all

That's not the point, point is he need someone to help him to decide what he is gonna do? No~ ok? Think about it for a second, it doesn't matter what YOU tell him. He has his heart set on something already & it's not about what you or me said.

If it's just all about saving some $$ then it's pretty fuked up you have to ask something like that on "internet" instead of family & close friends... don't you agree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #37
TRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ GBS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfAndSand View Post
I want to keep my board IN my car, not on top. Various reasons for me - security, protect board from UV, convenience, etc. Besides, I wouldn't want to put racks on my FRS.
I'm sorry, I just don't get it - if you want to have your board inside your car for security reasons that would mean having the top up in a convertible. That seems impossible to fit a board in a miata with the top up. I would just get the roof rails for the FRS and be done and get back to enjoying the car. Besides its safer to have it outside the car if you were ever to get in a road accident.

I think we all have the "grass is greener" thoughts at different stages of owning these cars. If you want to trade for a much older car because you have a thing for the Mazdaspeed Miata then just do it, its your choice you don't have to rationalize it to us. However the people here are just pointing out that your rational (save money, more practical, bump in torque you will notice) isn't exactly true, so if your expectations are really for improvements in those areas you'll likely be disappointed. And possibly end up thinking the grass was greener with the FRS...
TRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #38
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Well, there ya have it, SurfAndSand, now ..... just go ahead and do what you were gonna do anyway .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #39
SurfAndSand
8SiX

Drives: FRS 10series
Garage
No - I just don't think some people understand what I'm trying to say. I don't care about a huge budget or whatever. I didn't say anything about wanting torque or whatever. I simply asked what you guys thought about my situation about having a chance at a seemingly nice MSM available, and how it would compare against the FRS. I got a bunch of people trying to be helpful, and then without fail, there's always *those* people on the forums who have other intents than sharing information. To help clear things up, here's a little more to the story:

My plan is to eventually have 2 cars. One of them will be my fun-mobile (FRS Miata whatever) and the other will be my surf runabout (keep board in car). Currently, my FRS is my do-it-all car. I had a custom 8'6" shaped just to fit inside my car. But I don't like the compromise since my favorite board is a 9'3". I actually bought a used truck to go surfing and I put some racks on it and everything, but I didn't like the workflow of the board on the outside, moving it to someplace secure when I wanted to go eat after surfing, blah blah blah. Wasn't for me; ditched the truck. Been looking at surf-mobiles ever since.

So I'm strictly asking about the NB Mazdaspeed and the FRS because I had a chance at a used MSM I saw on Craigslist. I test drove it, and it was awesome, but just not in that great of a shape. Moot point - I'm not interested in rebuilding an old car - I'm waiting on a nice turn-key car that I can pick up when it shows up. In an ideal situation, I'll likely have 3 cars - my fun car, my surf car, and my Miata (or S2000 - I want a convertible again at some point).

It's really interesting to see how many people project their thoughts onto a somewhat ambiguous situation.

For anyone that cares - I ended up keeping my FRS. The MSM just wan't in that great shape, and I didn't want to juggle the Miata and the FRS at the same time since I don't have my second car in place now. I can always use my wife's car for surfing for now, but until I have my own personal 2nd vehicle, my FRS will continue to play do-it-all.
SurfAndSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:00 PM   #40
SurfAndSand
8SiX

Drives: FRS 10series
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Well, there ya have it, SurfAndSand, now ..... just go ahead and do what you were gonna do anyway .....

humfrz
Thanks humfrz It really was nice to read what some people had to say when they have actual experience in both cars. It helped me to look at my choice more objectively.

I'm not sure if it was here or another forum where I posed this exact same question, and that was the answer that helped me the most:

they told me to not buy an imperfect car if it was sprayed over. MSMs are not so rare that I couldn't get a nice example elsewhere and then ship it in to Hawaii.

So yeah, the price and mileage were right, but I could tell that it wasn't taken care of as nicely as I would have wanted for me to pick it up with.

So the folks who took the time to put in a thought-out response actually did help!
SurfAndSand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SurfAndSand For This Useful Post:
humfrz (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 10:32 PM   #41
scottbrz

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I replaced my NB (non-MSM) with a BRZ.

My impressions are: the miata is better at providing a focused, visceral experience. The BRZ gives you 80% of that while doing everything else much better.
scottbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scottbrz For This Useful Post:
SurfAndSand (02-13-2016), waltco (02-13-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #42
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
I don't believe Mazdaspeed Miatias are all that liked by the Miata community. The turbos weren't anything to write home about, nor is the engine itself...
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote