follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2016, 03:13 AM   #1
deuncos

Drives: AT Hot lava FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
jdl catted header OTS tune ok?

Would it be safe to run the stg 2 uel 93/e85 OTS tune on a catted header, or am I better off just sticking with the stg 1 maps? Should I consider getting a custom etune from shiv?
deuncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 03:45 AM   #2
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuncos View Post
Would it be safe to run the stg 2 uel 93/e85 OTS tune on a catted header, or am I better off just sticking with the stg 1 maps? Should I consider getting a custom etune from shiv?
@steve99 @Shiv@Openflash

They would be best suited to answer this. I personally think it's safer to just run the stage 1 maps. But you could run stage 2 uel, datalog it and upload the datalog to datazap.me then someone could check to make sure it's safe. The release notes don't really specify anything for catted uel or els in fact it only really talks about catless setups. If you have more mods it might be worth the e-tune as well.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
deuncos (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 06:25 AM   #3
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
as @FRSBRZGT86FAN said the oft guys don't cater for catted headers.
running the stage2 tune should not cause any major issues but you might want to log for knock

look at FLKC FBKC and make sure IAM stays at 1 and have a look at AFR and make sure it looks ok as well

If you do go back to stage 1 tune safest option you might still throw cel code P0420 for cat efficiency so it might be best to disable it in stage 1 tune using romraider. The stage1 cam timing is not going to be optimal as its for a fairly EL header
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
deuncos (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
deuncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
@steve99 @Shiv@Openflash

They would be best suited to answer this. I personally think it's safer to just run the stage 1 maps. But you could run stage 2 uel, datalog it and upload the datalog to datazap.me then someone could check to make sure it's safe. The release notes don't really specify anything for catted uel or els in fact it only really talks about catless setups. If you have more mods it might be worth the e-tune as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
as @FRSBRZGT86FAN said the oft guys don't cater for catted headers.
running the stage2 tune should not cause any major issues but you might want to log for knock

look at FLKC FBKC and make sure IAM stays at 1 and have a look at AFR and make sure it looks ok as well

If you do go back to stage 1 tune safest option you might still throw cel code P0420 for cat efficiency so it might be best to disable it in stage 1 tune using romraider. The stage1 cam timing is not going to be optimal as its for a fairly EL header
Thanks for the responses, so when you say they do not cater to catted headers, does that mean the oft team will not custom etune for a catted header or are you referring to the OTS tunes? Is there a major difference in terms of hp gains between the stg 1 93 and stg 2 93 uel maps, or is stg 2 just more aggressive? I had a read over your post on how to run e85 with a stock car, would that still apply/work for me if I wanted to run e85 by running the stg 2 uel e85 map?
Old 03-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Thanks for the responses, so when you say they do not cater to catted headers, does that mean the oft team will not custom etune for a catted header or are you referring to the OTS tunes? Is there a major difference in terms of hp gains between the stg 1 93 and stg 2 93 uel maps, or is stg 2 just more aggressive? I had a read over your post on how to run e85 with a stock car, would that still apply/work for me if I wanted to run e85 by running the stg 2 uel e85 map?

I mean the OTS tunes dont seem to cater to a catted header as they were designed for a catless openflash header. They could easily e tune it for you btw. And the difference between stage 1 and stage 2 is around 20-30 whp.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
deuncos (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 09:57 PM   #6
pinetree

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have the exact header (JDL UEL catted) and had the same question.

Was running stage 1-91 (old tune), before headers was no problems at all. After headers got CEL and updated OFT with newest tunes, and went for stage 2. No problems with anything and CEL went away.

I don't know how to post on the forum my engine diagnostics so people can check to see if everything is alright. If someone shows me directions I'll post.
pinetree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinetree For This Useful Post:
deuncos (03-27-2016)
Old 03-27-2016, 11:51 PM   #7
deuncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetree View Post

Was running stage 1-91 (old tune), before headers was no problems at all. After headers got CEL and updated OFT with newest tunes, and went for stage 2. No problems with anything and CEL went away.

I don't know how to post on the forum my engine diagnostics so people can check to see if everything is alright. If someone shows me directions I'll post.

Did you run the stg 1 map with the JDL headers installed before switching over to stg 2, if so how much of a difference was there in terms of hp gains and did you have to disable anything in romraider? Also do you have any other exhaust mods? My biggest concern is long term effects of running the stg 2 uel map with a catted header, think I might just bite the bullet and order a custom etune from shiv

Would definitely appreciate it if you could upload your datalog, i believe your supposed to use datazap.me, but I'm still unfamiliar with the whole OFT/romraider (still trying to learn).
Old 03-28-2016, 04:35 AM   #8
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:

Stage 1 will obviously create a CEL with a catted or uncatted header it will not prevent P0420, to use it without having that CEL show up you'd have to disable it in romraider. Perchance whats your Cal ID? Also read below on how to datalog.

Quote:
Did you run the stg 1 map with the JDL headers installed before switching over to stg 2, if so how much of a difference was there in terms of hp gains and did you have to disable anything in romraider? Also do you have any other exhaust mods? My biggest concern is long term effects of running the stg 2 uel map with a catted header, think I might just bite the bullet and order a custom etune from shiv

Would definitely appreciate it if you could upload your datalog, i believe your supposed to use datazap.me, but I'm still unfamiliar with the whole OFT/romraider (still trying to learn).

OK so for both of you datalog on the OFT while using the stage 2 tune and make sure these channels are being recorded FLKC, FBKC, IAM and AFR
you can record data (up to an hour) and then connect to your laptop (through OpenFlash Manager) and download the data file in .CSV format
Upload the csv here:
www.datazap.me

This is how to datalog:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlEfyKIlWdg"]Vishnu OpenFlash Tutorial 3 - YouTube[/ame]

deuncos (03-28-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #9
pinetree

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, was running stage 1 with the headers. After a few days got the CEL and decided to update OFT (software was never updated) and new stage 2, everything works great so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Stage 1 will obviously create a CEL with a catted or uncatted header it will not prevent P0420, to use it without having that CEL show up you'd have to disable it in romraider. Perchance whats your Cal ID? Also read below on how to datalog.

OK so for both of you datalog on the OFT while using the stage 2 tune and make sure these channels are being recorded FLKC, FBKC, IAM and AFR
you can record data (up to an hour) and then connect to your laptop (through OpenFlash Manager) and download the data file in .CSV format
Don't know if you're asking for my Cal ID? Not sure where to find that, but I'll try to record some data today and upload. Thanks for all the help!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1459270116
Attached Images

pinetree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinetree For This Useful Post:
deuncos (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #10
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Quote:
Yes, was running stage 1 with the headers. After a few days got the CEL and decided to update OFT (software was never updated) and new stage 2, everything works great so far.

Don't know if you're asking for my Cal ID? Not sure where to find that, but I'll try to record some data today and upload. Thanks for all the help!

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1459270116

Looks like your running the stage 2 tune anyway so never mind lol, I was gonna edit the stage 1 tune so you wouldn't get the CEL. Anyway datalog away and see how it is.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #11
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have the JDL catted headers and I'm running the OFT stage 2 tune for about 3 weeks now. Before I had the stage 1 for a couple of days after I installed the header. No glaring issues to report for both tunes but I'll datalog my results and see if the forum experts notice any hiccups with the actual data since I probably won't know what I'm looking at.
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G-awesome For This Useful Post:
deuncos (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #12
steve99
Banned

You guys with JDL headers might want to try shiv's cam tables for JDL they were for catless version but if its similar design to catted should work.

Intake and Exhaust VVT CAM tables for JDL UEL catless headers.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=10
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
deuncos (03-29-2016), G-awesome (03-30-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 09:18 PM   #13
G-awesome

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
So I managed to get 3 days of datalogs for peeps to take a look at. Two per day, one is my morning commute to work and the other is leaving work.

Some background conditions during the 3 day datalogging event. The drive is about 15mins in steady traffic in the city. Weather conditions during the 3 days in Vancouver is mild but gorgeous spring weather on the west coast from 10-20 degrees celsius (10ish in the morning and 15-20 in the late afternoon/evening) I'm running a perrin drop-in air filter, TRD catback, stock frontpipe and JDL catted UEL header. Gas is Chevron 94 Oct.

Results are here:
Mar 30 - morning: http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/tes...0?log=0&data=1
Mar 30 - evening: http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/tes...0?log=1&data=1
Mar 31 - morning: http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/tes...1?log=0&data=1
Mar 31 - evening: http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/tes...1?log=1&data=1
Apr 01 - morning: http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/20160401?log=1&data=1
Apr 01 - evening: http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/20160401?log=0&data=1

I looked at the numbers and graphs but since I'm no expert, I don't know how to make sense of the kc values nor know the unit of measurement for those numbers. I assume afr is air-fuel ratio? So if anyone can chime in on the data and see if it's a good idea running a stage 2 tune on catted headers, it'll be much appreciated!
G-awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to G-awesome For This Useful Post:
deuncos (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 07:41 AM   #14
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-awesome View Post
So I managed to get 3 days of datalogs for peeps to take a look at. Two per day, one is my morning commute to work and the other is leaving work.

Some background conditions during the 3 day datalogging event. The drive is about 15mins in steady traffic in the city. Weather conditions during the 3 days in Vancouver is mild but gorgeous spring weather on the west coast from 10-20 degrees celsius (10ish in the morning and 15-20 in the late afternoon/evening) I'm running a perrin drop-in air filter, TRD catback, stock frontpipe and JDL catted UEL header. Gas is Chevron 94 Oct.

Results are here:
Mar 30 - morning: http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/tes...0?log=0&data=1
Mar 30 - evening: http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/tes...0?log=1&data=1
Mar 31 - morning: http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/tes...1?log=0&data=1
Mar 31 - evening: http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/tes...1?log=1&data=1
Apr 01 - morning: http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/20160401?log=1&data=1
Apr 01 - evening: http://www.datazap.me/u/gawesome/20160401?log=0&data=1

I looked at the numbers and graphs but since I'm no expert, I don't know how to make sense of the kc values nor know the unit of measurement for those numbers. I assume afr is air-fuel ratio? So if anyone can chime in on the data and see if it's a good idea running a stage 2 tune on catted headers, it'll be much appreciated!
From what i can see it looks reasnoble
bit of knock in places and looks like IAM is less than 1 as you have some positive flkc

it looks like its running a bit rich as well

you need to log
IAM
commanded afr
LTFT
STFT
maf v
drop out kc learned and ambient and oil coolant temps

and do some full throttle runs from 2000- 7000

you would probably benifit from the jdl specific cam timing as well

have a read of the ecu logging link below and maf scaling

looks like its going to need a bit of tiking pulled in places and the maf scaling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-09-2016), G-awesome (04-04-2016)