follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #71
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
You're interpreting the reactions the wrong way.

The looks you get are not saying, "Oh no! I'm so freaked out by that guy sliding around!"

Those looks are saying, "Jeez. What a douche."
I've had people full on panic stop on an on ramp when I transition into a 4 wheel drift. It makes me laugh out loud.

It is much nicer to be able to do this stuff at low speed so I can always save myself rather than at normal speeds where it is much more sketchy if something goes wrong.

Here's the fun bit, why others do what they do isn't important to me. My entertainment is all that matters, and if the entire human race died tomorrow and I was all alone, I could still entertain myself. I don't need someone elses validation.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:24 PM   #72
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I've had people full on panic stop on an on ramp when I transition into a 4 wheel drift.
Again, not panic. Prudence. It's generally a good idea to leave plenty of room around people driving like douches.

Quote:
I don't need someone elses validation.
Obviously you do, or else you wouldn't be driving like a douche in traffic while looking around to clock other people's reactions. I suspect you wouldn't even bother if there weren't someone around to watch you make a fool of yourself.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
AJ32162 (04-16-2019), DaBoBo21 (05-02-2019), Dadhawk (04-17-2019), dowroa (04-27-2019), Interlocker (04-17-2019), Jordanwolf (04-16-2019), weederr33 (04-27-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:17 PM   #73
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
I suspect you wouldn't even bother if there weren't someone around to watch you make a fool of yourself.

Oh come on dude you’re telling me that not once have you flown around a turn or gotten your car sideways? Why buy a sports car if you are going to drive it like a mini van? Do people that track and autox their cars do it just to be seen too?

Personally they guy buying a sports car to drive like a mini van is the one looking for validation. Hey look at me guys I have a sports car.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
HKz (04-17-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 11:49 PM   #74
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Oh come on dude you’re telling me that not once have you flown around a turn or gotten your car sideways?
Sure I have. But:

a) I didn't look around afterward in the sophomoric hope that I had "panicked" anybody, and

2) Then I put stickier tires on it so that it cornered better rather than sliding around like a jetski.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:06 AM   #75
Sgaldi

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It rained in Vegas today, on my way home from work I was having some fun and when I pulled onto my street I did a complete 180 and had to leave my neighborhood then u turn at the light and come back in , haha I love this car
Sgaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:14 AM   #76
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Again, not panic. Prudence. It's generally a good idea to leave plenty of room around people driving like douches.

Obviously you do, or else you wouldn't be driving like a douche in traffic while looking around to clock other people's reactions. I suspect you wouldn't even bother if there weren't someone around to watch you make a fool of yourself.
AWW poor little baby can't have a conversation without sounding like a 5 year old in a child's playground hurling cowardly little names. Why am I not surprised at your behaviour?

I guarantee I drive safer than you could ever fantasize about. So nice try mr macho coward.

The only one you hurt by hurling your cowardly little names is yourself, for you prove how moronic and infantile a human being you really are. Unlike you, I don't care. Child like infants that will never grow up like yourself mean less than zero to me, unless I get a chance to make fun of you for sport. There is nothing you could do to make the world around you a better place, you make everything worse just by existing.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:53 AM   #77
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
AWW poor little baby can't have a conversation without sounding like a 5 year old in a child's playground hurling cowardly little names. Why am I not surprised at your behaviour?

I guarantee I drive safer than you could ever fantasize about. So nice try mr macho coward.

The only one you hurt by hurling your cowardly little names is yourself, for you prove how moronic and infantile a human being you really are. Unlike you, I don't care. Child like infants that will never grow up like yourself mean less than zero to me, unless I get a chance to make fun of you for sport. There is nothing you could do to make the world around you a better place, you make everything worse just by existing.
How old are you?
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-17-2019), olsonpg (04-27-2019), weederr33 (04-27-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 08:13 AM   #78
extrashaky

Quote:
Unlike you, I don't care.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #79
atomicalex

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited Perf Pack
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think the Corolla may have been your mistake.

I have never been without a fun car, even when I had two little kids. That makes the BRZ so much sweeter.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #80
Larphraulen

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ 6m; 2012 VW GLI 6m
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm 32 and traded in my 2012 GLI for a 2018 BRZ. My GF drives a Mazda 3 which basically greenlit me for a fun, less practical car. Long story short: do it if you can!

After test-driving one and Turo'ing one for a weekend (to test practicality), I sat on this decision for over a year. Watched Autotrader on a weekly basis. Decided that the next major $$ repair/maintenance that came up on the GLI would pull the trigger if I found a good deal.

I think I did pretty well for trying to be as adult-like about the decision as I could. My use case for the car is DD, a little bit of autocross, and driving to Toronto (~470km / 300 miles, one way) to see family and friends about 6-8 times a year. It's not a garage queen, and I drive it in Ottawa winters.

The 2017+ have nice, comfy suspension set ups. While you do feel every bump/pothole in the road, it is not horribly jarring. You should still avoid the big ones -- as you would in any normal car.

I usually cruise around 120km/h (75mph) on the highway. It feels like the same level of noise as my GF's 2018 Mazda 3 on those horrible Ecopia tires -- maybe even quieter. No drone. Gas mileage is pretty good. I average just under 30 mpg. The base seats are comfy for slimmer folks. I'm 5'11, 150 lbs and it's pretty comfy, even on those 5-6 hour drives to Toronto.

The biggest thing I find I had to adjust to is how sensitive the throttle is in the early pedal travel, and it has a bit of delay at the 600 RPM idle (1-2s). The three BRZ/86s I've driven seems to be mapped this way too. It feels like 80% of the power is in the first 20% of travel. Also, the clutch is pretty vague and light.

In the snow, it steps out if you're not smooth with throttle or brakes. As someone who'd never driven anything other than FWD, as long as you look to where you want to go, your hands and the car will sort the rest out. For winter tires, I would say oversize the diameter and decrease the width. Gives you more ride height, pothole absorption, and more cutting action in the snow.

The GLI did everything I asked of it. Great car but too comfortable and numb. That's what makes it refined though. The BRZ on the other hand just makes us excited to go anywhere. Even my GF gets excited to go for a ride as a passenger. She even got me a vanity plate for the car.
Larphraulen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Larphraulen For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (04-23-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #81
imprezive

Drives: 2017 BRZ - WRB - PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quick update: I've decided to go with a BRZ Premium in WRB. I'm in no rush, so I'm gonna see if I can find anything on the used market before pulling the trigger on a new one.
imprezive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imprezive For This Useful Post:
extrashaky (04-27-2019), slizoth (05-03-2019), Ultramaroon (04-27-2019), weederr33 (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #82
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

^
Never go full retard boys and girls.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #83
HaXx

Drives: jrsc_brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
* Emperor Palpatine voice*

Yes, yes let the hate flow through this thread!
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HaXx For This Useful Post:
imprezive (04-27-2019), Ultramaroon (04-27-2019), weederr33 (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #84
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

I am an apex predator! I am stronger than all of you!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote