follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #15
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAmalto View Post
It seems like you guys are only looking at one style of drifting. There is always just entering a corner at a more extreme angle than the car can turn and then correcting, don't remember what this method is called. Anyways I'm pretty sure this isn't that hard on the car (excluding the tires).
That is more or less the same as the "flick method and is just as hard on the suspension as any other method.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:08 PM   #16
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStanley View Post
Haha "outside the design limits" Ill tell the dealership "THIS SHIT WAS DESIGNED TO GO SIDEWAYS BITCH." and never get my warranty
Oh they can find very creative ways to void warranty if they want to. Not just that company either. I was looking at Porsches and their warranty is void if you "participate in form of competitive racing event including time trials, endurance, autox, etc" (or something along that line). I just looked at the salesman and said "but Dude it's a Porsche". He just smiled and shrugged his shoulder.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:13 PM   #17
iStanley
They call me Stan

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Oh they can find very creative ways to void warranty if they want to. Not just that company either. I was looking at Porsches and their warranty is void if you "participate in form of competitive racing event including time trials, endurance, autox, etc" (or something along that line). I just looked at the salesman and said "but Dude it's a Porsche". He just smiled and shrugged his shoulder.
Hahaha. It seems like having fun will void warranties.
iStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #18
MrAmalto

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Well alot of this depends on whether you're driving a BRZ or FR-S. Subaru warranty becomes void if you compete but Scion's warranty doesn't. There are a few threads about this but the general consensus is that so long as you keep the critical areas of your car stock you can race all day in a FR-S and it won't void your warranty.
MrAmalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:31 PM   #19
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAmalto View Post
Well alot of this depends on whether you're driving a BRZ or FR-S. Subaru warranty becomes void if you compete but Scion's warranty doesn't. There are a few threads about this but the general consensus is that so long as you keep the critical areas of your car stock you can race all day in a FR-S and it won't void your warranty.
Not anymore or more accurately not anymore in Canada. My 14 warranty makes it very clear that any form of "organized" racing including time trials will void all aspects of the warranty. So if I track my car at any form of sanctioned event and my sound system breaks then it is not covered! So I can hammer the hell outta it on the back roads or parking lots and all is good but as soon as I pay somebody to use a track or anything that can be determined as a race no more warranty.
I guess the trick is to only participate in "disorganized" events and if taking your car in for warranty work never start the conversation with "well I was racing at the track and...."! Pretty hard for them to prove you were racing/tracking if you don't tell them.
The ironic part is my dealership called me a few weeks and offered me tickets to the Canadian Sport Compact Series and had a special section and rates for racing your FRS!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:29 PM   #20
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
So basically Subaru and scion are encouraging street racing and other illegal street events because if you compete in legal ones you will be punished
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:57 PM   #21
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,092 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Feint.
E-brake/side brake.
Clutch kick.
Power oversteer.
Trail braking.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #22
HeadBanger

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The best drifting technique is not crashing.
Tcoat (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #23
MrAmalto

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Not anymore or more accurately not anymore in Canada. My 14 warranty makes it very clear that any form of "organized" racing including time trials will void all aspects of the warranty. So if I track my car at any form of sanctioned event and my sound system breaks then it is not covered! So I can hammer the hell outta it on the back roads or parking lots and all is good but as soon as I pay somebody to use a track or anything that can be determined as a race no more warranty.
I guess the trick is to only participate in "disorganized" events and if taking your car in for warranty work never start the conversation with "well I was racing at the track and...."! Pretty hard for them to prove you were racing/tracking if you don't tell them.
The ironic part is my dealership called me a few weeks and offered me tickets to the Canadian Sport Compact Series and had a special section and rates for racing your FRS!
Oh, I didn't know about Scion's change in warranty, at least in Canada. I wouldn't be surprised if Scion will or has already made the same warranty changes in the States (wouldn't know since I drive a 13').

I'm guessing the only reason the Scion warranty originally didn't mention anything is because Scion hasn't had any cars which were competed in as much before the FR-S. I know there are a decent number of people who compete in TV's but I don't think nearly as many as in FR-Ss.

Anyways in many nearby Autocross events I see BRZs which tape over their license plates while competing so dealerships can't legally prove their car was used in a competition. Most of them are in the local branch of the FT-86 club and I haven't heard about any of then getting their warranty voided, at least not because they competed. XD
MrAmalto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrAmalto For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-01-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #24
Bakemono858

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
You will spend plenty of money no matter what if you intend to drift often. If it's worth it, then don't worry about the cost and bite the bullet!
Bakemono858 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bakemono858 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-01-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #25
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's really a matter if "pick your poison" its gonna be costly later on anyway
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #26
iStanley
They call me Stan

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
It's really a matter if "pick your poison" its gonna be costly later on anyway
Yeah, that sucks. How soon do you think I will need parts to be changed? Considering I drift probably for a minute in total every other day?
iStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #27
Tcoat

Quote:
Yeah, that sucks. How soon do you think I will need parts to be changed? Considering I drift probably for a minute in total every other day?
Tomorrow, next week, next year, never?
Not being a smart ass that is about as accurate an answer that can be given to that question.
Seen parts give out the very first time they are stressed and seen parts get beat to crap and just keep going until the rest of the car falls apart!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (10-03-2014), iStanley (10-02-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #28
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

No correct absolute answer can be given parts can wear out or they can just completely fail under stress, just enjoy your car
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote