follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
icemang17

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1st trackday in FR-S

I drove my FR-S on track yesterday at Thunderhill....it just crossed the 1000 mile barrier

http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web120720/11/index.html

I only took it out for 1 session, drove my racer the rest....my experience is mostly race cars, nearly exclusive for the past 5 years....

My impressions:

1: Power......good with excellent response...not over whelming at all...chassis could take more, but the response is excellent..torque is surprisingly good....it makes redline shifts optional vs mandatory for good lap times...

2: Transmission: Also excellent....no complaints at all....the triple cone synchros really work....same for the clutch...heel-toe downshifting helps, but with synchros this good its not a big deal....

3: Suspension: Balance is excellent....being a street car it is a bit on the soft side, with too much "bounce"...but that is normal...

4: Brakes: Good intially, but suffer from fade....I think this is due to my driving in "sport" mode, which uses the brakes for stability....but this is an easy fix with proper pads-fluid

5: Tires: in short HORRIBLE....no grip at all and they squeal like crazy....while I managed a decent overall lap time my peak G forces were sad (I used Harry's lap timer for data logging).....the peak G forces were just over 1.25g......which I guess isn't bad for a street car on crap tires...my racer is well over 1.5g on slicks...

6: traction control: EXCELLENT....beyond words really.....Toyota-Subaru hit it out of the park with this....sure it cooks the brakes a bit for an advanced driver, but for a novice its superb....worlds better than the system I drove in my E92 M3 or C6 Z06.....it works, but its intervention is very subtle where you can barely feel it, literally if it wasn't blinking at you on the dash you wouldn't know....for a $25k car this is a substantial feature....

Overall.....its nearly the perfect drive to the track and have fun car....simple brake upgrades (pads-fluid) with proper tires would make this car seriously formidable.....in an ideal world adjustable coil overs that you could "turn up" when you change the tires is ideal..... While I have quite a bit of experience at Thunderhill (its my home track where my shop is) I still consider myself a conservative driver....my best lap time at Thunderhill over the top was 2:18....for my 100% stock FR-S....with about 1/4 tank...with proper brake pads and real tires it will challenge spec Miata times...I also set the fuel consumption gauge when I was on track..... 7.7mpg...which isn't bad really.....but oddly the same as my 4.7L V8 928 racer? For giggles my E92 M3 got 6 mpg...which I found out is the lowest it would read....so it was less...The ZO6 was worse at about 5.... a friends 993 twin turbo....1.5mpg
icemang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to icemang17 For This Useful Post:
bedabi (06-21-2013), RRnold (07-26-2012), Texas BRZ (08-03-2012), TouchMyHonda (07-26-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Do you plan on tracking again with the FRS?
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
icemang17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Do you plan on tracking again with the FRS?
if you ask my "wife" then the answer is NO......but I probably will at some point when my racer breaks down and I have lots of seat time left
Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemang17 View Post
993 twin turbo....1.5mpg
OMG!!!! Thanks for sharing this. I love to see reviews from people who own and track stout cars like the E92, and Zo6's. These are the reviews I have been dying to hear. Thanks again!
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
T-Hill is an awesome track! So jelly! :happy0180:
Old 07-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemang17 View Post
I drove my FR-S on track yesterday at Thunderhill....it just crossed the 1000 mile barrier

http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web120720/11/index.html

I only took it out for 1 session, drove my racer the rest....my experience is mostly race cars, nearly exclusive for the past 5 years....

My impressions:

4: Brakes: Good intially, but suffer from fade....I think this is due to my driving in "sport" mode, which uses the brakes for stability....but this is an easy fix with proper pads-fluid
Sounds like you could use a brake upgrade, but PLEASE just shut off the traction control and stability control (everything) on the track. You will have
better brake life and a lot more fun. Once you learn to do without it, you will be annoyed if you forget to shut it off.

Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
icemang17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tire View Post
Sounds like you could use a brake upgrade, but PLEASE just shut off the traction control and stability control (everything) on the track. You will have
better brake life and a lot more fun. Once you learn to do without it, you will be annoyed if you forget to shut it off.

I agree....since it was my 1st time out in this car I thought I would give it a try......while it did work very well....I will not use it again....I have enough seat time in front engine-rear drive cars with ZERO traction control-abs-stability-nada..... My current racer is a 1979....the car does what you tell it....just like I think the FR-S will with a decent driver...
Old 08-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #8
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMyHonda View Post
OMG!!!! Thanks for sharing this. I love to see reviews from people who own and track stout cars like the E92, and Zo6's. These are the reviews I have been dying to hear. Thanks again!
Agreed... Very helpful post!

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
littledeadpool
Amateur Photo/Video/Art

Drives: Scion FR-S/Asphalt/Manual
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yeah love the post, Trying to get the money to go to Thunderhill. But since it seems like the brakes are such a weak point, i'm think about waiting till after i change those to go to a track event.

Along with brake pads and fluid, would stainless steel brake lines be something just to do since i'll be changing the fluid.

I'm not very automotive knowledgeable and i'll do a search later but is the stock brake fluid not good and what should be put in if replaced.
littledeadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
icemang17

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledeadpool View Post
Yeah love the post, Trying to get the money to go to Thunderhill. But since it seems like the brakes are such a weak point, i'm think about waiting till after i change those to go to a track event.

Along with brake pads and fluid, would stainless steel brake lines be something just to do since i'll be changing the fluid.

I'm not very automotive knowledgeable and i'll do a search later but is the stock brake fluid not good and what should be put in if replaced.
While I did experience siginificant brake fade it was NOT from boiling fluid...trust me I KNOW what that feels like....

It was classic pad fade.....pedal is still firm and high, you just gotta PUSH much harder to make it work & even then it sucks....slow down for a couple laps & its back to normal

I'd buy new pads.....any Hawk should work & fresh fluid (say ATE super blue or gold) isn't a bad idea.........don't get the stainless lines either....save the $$$ for another trackday....

Even then......if you are new to the track and have ZERO on track experience.....just come out and drive....generally speaking for your first several trackdays you aren't really pushing the car that hard....it takes a bit of experience to get your confidence up where you are pushing the car hard....
Old 09-01-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
_F-R-S_
Banned

Drives: 13 whiteout scion frs
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Brakes are so stiff >
_F-R-S_ is offline   Reply With Quote