follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #1
mleko

Drives: gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Reverse Cam Install

Hey
I have been watching allllll of the DIY and tutorials about Reverse Cam installation but i have still problem to understand what to do i connected all wires from the camera i got, but it still does not work

I have an Sinosmart +6v Camera and 16-pin to RCA harness for LCD conection

my main question is what should i do with the red wires that come with an RCA cable ? and what cable and where should i connect it to get power when in reverse mode

I hope you guys can help me i will add some photos over the stuff i got below

mleko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
CraigVM

Drives: Car Collector
I think this is correct though someone who has hooked a 6V cam to their stock radio may need to confirm. Forgive my poor windows paint skills..... also make that "connect red wire on RCA extension cable to SUPPLY +6V from the head unit" shown in your top photo. I would use a multimeter and confirm that Supply wire produces 6V DC when vehicle is place into reverse.

Last edited by CraigVM; 11-05-2017 at 10:15 PM.
CraigVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:44 AM   #3
DaveB.inVa

Drives: 2016 BRZ Premium
Remember you're using the red wire to provide power to the camera.

You need to get a wire from the harness that turns on to +12V when in reverse. I don't know what year your vehicle is but the +12V input will do two things.

1. It will trigger the head unit and make it turn to the reverse mode so the video input is displayed.

2. You will provide +6V from a 12V to 6V converter to power the camera.

I didn't go this route with my BRZ but I did on my Tacoma.

Attached is a link to a good 12V to 6V converter.

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN-Convert...o+6v+converter

Once you have a reverse input at the head unit location, connect it with the input to the converter and to the reverse signal turn-on on the head unit.

Take the output from the 6V converter and connect it to the red wire going to the camera.

FYI, factory radios do all of this internally. They have an input that is 12V that goes to the head unit, there is an internal 12V to 6V converter and the head unit itself outputs 6V to the camera.

I don't know why aftermarket head units don't do this as well, but I've not seen one yet that does. It would sure make things more simple.
DaveB.inVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:58 AM   #4
sharpsicle
Certs You Dont Care About

Drives: 2013 Galaxy Blue BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB.inVa View Post
I don't know why aftermarket head units don't do this as well, but I've not seen one yet that does. It would sure make things more simple.
Aftermarket headunits are designed to work with 12v cameras, with the camera trigger wire being tapped into at the rear of the car rather than at the headunit. That's why.
sharpsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #5
mleko

Drives: gt86

Thanks for all help boys camera looks perfect
mleko is offline   Reply With Quote