follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 01-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #1
Brzlimited661

Drives: 2014 brz limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anybody here know about airbag systems?

Ok so heres my problem i have a 14 subaru brz that got hit on the side my seat airbag deployed (got a new seat) my curtain airbag deployed and seatbelts broke. My questions are if i buy a used airbag module will it work or will i need to have it programmed to my car? Also is there any crash sensors that i need to replace or are those still good if they arent broken. Also are the seatbelts and side airbag interchangeable between brz and frs thanks all
Brzlimited661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brzlimited661 View Post
Ok so heres my problem i have a 14 subaru brz that got hit on the side my seat airbag deployed (got a new seat) my curtain airbag deployed and seatbelts broke. My questions are if i buy a used airbag module will it work or will i need to have it programmed to my car? Also is there any crash sensors that i need to replace or are those still good if they arent broken. Also are the seatbelts and side airbag interchangeable between brz and frs thanks all
They are totally interchangeable between the cars.
All impacted sensors will need to be replaced. They are one shot only.
I do not believe that the modules on these cars are programmed to the vehicle but no doubt somebody will correct me if I am wrong. The service manual does not state it requires programing.

Follow the installation requirements to the letter (i.e. do not reuse bolts, disconnect battery before doing anything, etc)

https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal..._rm_index.html

Interior/supplemental restraint systems
Old 01-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
Brzlimited661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They are totally interchangeable between the cars.
All impacted sensors will need to be replaced. They are one shot only.
I do not believe that the modules on these cars are programmed to the vehicle but no doubt somebody will correct me if I am wrong. The service manual does not state it requires programing.

Follow the installation requirements to the letter (i.e. do not reuse bolts, disconnect battery before doing anything, etc)

https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal..._rm_index.html

Interior/supplemental restraint systems
So if i got a new seat is the impact sensor on the seat for the airbage on the seat? How about the curtain airbag where is the crash sensor to that? I hope a used module doesnt need to be programmed to my car or i can just send mine for repair
Old 01-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
Tcoat

Quote:
So if i got a new seat is the impact sensor on the seat for the airbage on the seat? How about the curtain airbag where is the crash sensor to that? I hope a used module doesnt need to be programmed to my car or i can just send mine for repair
The sensors are in the body of the car. The info you need will be in the service manual I attached. To be perfectly straight with you this is not a project you should tackle if you are not 100% confident you know what you are doing. You are dealing with explosive charges that can kill or seriously injure you if you screw up even a little. You should probably talk to a pro and get a cost on this project.
Ultramaroon (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
Brzlimited661

Quote:
The sensors are in the body of the car. The info you need will be in the service manual I attached. To be perfectly straight with you this is not a project you should tackle if you are not 100% confident you know what you are doing. You are dealing with explosive charges that can kill or seriously injure you if you screw up even a little. You should probably talk to a pro and get a cost on this project.
Thanks for that link im familiar with what needs to be done to work on the airbag system. My only question that remains is about the module if they need to be programmed or are they all interchangeable
Old 01-04-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,819 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I totally agree.

Sort of like attempting to disarm a land mine ....... you don't get a second chance ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
Thanks for that link im familiar with what needs to be done to work on the airbag system. My only question that remains is about the module if they need to be programmed or are they all interchangeable
Dude, you didn't know where the sensors are!
The manual will tell you if you need to program the module. It doesn't appear that you do but I only skimmed it.
Wally86 (06-30-2022)
Old 01-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
Brzlimited661

Quote:
Dude, you didn't know where the sensors are!
The manual will tell you if you need to program the module. It doesn't appear that you do but I only skimmed it.
You're right i didn't but i only asked because every car has different locations. One goes in the door but im getting a new door so probably not needed to get that one
Old 01-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #9
Tcoat

Quote:
You're right i didn't but i only asked because every car has different locations. One goes in the door but im getting a new door so probably not needed to get that one
The sensors are always in the body of the car and never in the airbag itself.

Here is an option for the module:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107947
Old 03-18-2024, 06:37 AM   #10
02maher

Drives: Gt86 2013
I got a hit on my wheel and the left side curtain airbag deployed… sensors are all good, body of the car not damaged, it’s just the wheel, suspension and controls arm that were damaged.
I replaced the airbag already but the manual states also to replace the airbag control module if I’m not mistaken… so is there a way to reset this module or is toasted for good?
02maher is offline   Reply With Quote