follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #29
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First off saying "buy a fast car in the first place" is silly. This car was built to be upgraded, the chassis is significantly more stiff than any under 2800lb car built even remotely in this price range. The lead engineer himself designed this car to be tuned, the chassis is not the limiting factor, this has not been done since the 60's.

"If you want a fast car buy a fast factory car" means drive a 3500 lb behemoth, many don't want that.

Second this car is fast stock. It needs tires, the stock tires are there for emmsions qualifications, simply changing the threads make it the fastest <$30k car on most tracks. Going further it just needs help with torque dip and a little extra HP. For a DD it doesn't need an extra 100 hp, but it could use 50hp + 50ft-lb torque.

Third the NA mods (CAI, headers, extaust) are all backwards, they are not worth the money without aggressive cams and a valvetrain with a higher redline. Not worth the money until real head parts and work can be done. We can't even upgrade the struts in these cars yet let alone headwork.

A positive displacement NON-interooled simple supercharger with a good tune is all this car needs to help the torque dip. If these cars keep selling someone will realize that not everyone wants 300hp at 7400 rpm, they just want 3rd gear to pull harder from 3k up, that's all it needs.

A positive displacement supercharger will do that, may take a few years till one comes to market, until then buy a good set of tires and enjoy your car as is with the warranty.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
pcporo (05-04-2013), Splat (04-26-2013), tomato86 (05-03-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #30
Jonoraven93

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
First off saying "buy a fast car in the first place" is silly. This car was built to be upgraded, the chassis is significantly more stiff than any under 2800lb car built even remotely in this price range. The lead engineer himself designed this car to be tuned, the chassis is not the limiting factor, this has not been done since the 60's.

"If you want a fast car buy a fast factory car" means drive a 3500 lb behemoth, many don't want that.

Second this car is fast stock. It needs tires, the stock tires are there for emmsions qualifications, simply changing the threads make it the fastest <$30k car on most tracks. Going further it just needs help with torque dip and a little extra HP. For a DD it doesn't need an extra 100 hp, but it could use 50hp + 50ft-lb torque.

Third the NA mods (CAI, headers, extaust) are all backwards, they are not worth the money without aggressive cams and a valvetrain with a higher redline. Not worth the money until real head parts and work can be done. We can't even upgrade the struts in these cars yet let alone headwork.

A positive displacement NON-interooled simple supercharger with a good tune is all this car needs to help the torque dip. If these cars keep selling someone will realize that not everyone wants 300hp at 7400 rpm, they just want 3rd gear to pull harder from 3k up, that's all it needs.

A positive displacement supercharger will do that, may take a few years till one comes to market, until then buy a good set of tires and enjoy your car as is with the warranty.
Thank you for the info, you deffinetly understand where I'm comin from on this post.
Jonoraven93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #31
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Sounds like you want to mawd your car to impress your friends/the internet.

If that's the case then I don't have much advice to offer.

Figure out what you want, you say you want "moar powah" but for what? Are you planning on tracking it or winning stoplight drag races? If it's the former then don't buy anything yet, go do enough track days to burn up the OEM tires and read everything you can get your hands on. If it's the latter than you bought the wrong car plain and simple.

You have to define your needs before you go asking for advice, an ill defined problem is going to get a some good and a lot of bad responses, especially if you show up saying "hand me this information, you guys are all experts it should be easy to know exactly what will best suit my needs!" you are going to get backlash, and it's well deserved.

Edit: my personal advice for daily driving this, the only mawd that may bring actual pleasure without breaking laws would be a fart cannon so you can annoy people. Drive the wheels off it (responsibly), you already have one of the most fun cars out there, don't bother wasting money to impress people, put a smile on your own face first.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #32
Carlitoz3

Drives: 2013 MT Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post

Third the NA mods (CAI, headers, extaust) are all backwards, they are not worth the money without aggressive cams and a valvetrain with a higher redline. Not worth the money until real head parts and work can be done. We can't even upgrade the struts in these cars yet let alone headwork

Say it ain't so??
So new tires will make my car faster then getting a CAI, headers, and exhaust?
Carlitoz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #33
Jonoraven93

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Sounds like you want to mawd your car to impress your friends/the internet.

If that's the case then I don't have much advice to offer.

Figure out what you want, you say you want "moar powah" but for what? Are you planning on tracking it or winning stoplight drag races? If it's the former then don't buy anything yet, go do enough track days to burn up the OEM tires and read everything you can get your hands on. If it's the latter than you bought the wrong car plain and simple.

You have to define your needs before you go asking for advice, an ill defined problem is going to get a some good and a lot of bad responses, especially if you show up saying "hand me this information, you guys are all experts it should be easy to know exactly what will best suit my needs!" you are going to get backlash, and it's well deserved.

Edit: my personal advice for daily driving this, the only mawd that may bring actual pleasure without breaking laws would be a fart cannon so you can annoy people. Drive the wheels off it (responsibly), you already have one of the most fun cars out there, don't bother wasting money to impress people, put a smile on your own face first.
I appreciate your advise, but to impress my friends or the Internet. No. My cars almost at the 16k mark iv had plenty of driving with it, and plenty of twists an turns, and I am about to need new tires, I want to impress myself and simply get over the stock performance with small changes at first I, e, air intakes exhaust changes whichever and less time consuming, I'm tired of the stock and want more excitement in my raven.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #34
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonoraven93 View Post
I appreciate your advise, but to impress my friends or the Internet. No. My cars almost at the 16k mark iv had plenty of driving with it, and plenty of twists an turns, and I am about to need new tires, I want to impress myself and simply get over the stock performance with small changes at first I, e, air intakes exhaust changes whichever and less time consuming, I'm tired of the stock and want more excitement in my raven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post

Scott

Perfect -- you've stated that you learn quick, please use the search button then =) Have a nice day!
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
SloS14

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Please tell me English is not your first language.
SloS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SloS14 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #36
engee

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
I think you are on the right track, but I would say get onto a real track or autocross before you say you need to get over the stock performance of the car. In stock form, it still takes a good amount of skill to drive this car fast.

Driving on normal roads will never bring you close to driving to the edges of performance like you are saying. If you truly want to "impress yourself" and "want more excitement", hold off on mods and get some seat time to appreciate the car more (possibly get humbled in the process with the realization that you aren't even pushing your car at all). Just my 0.02.
engee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to engee For This Useful Post:
Sonolin (04-26-2013), strat61caster (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #37
Jonoraven93

Quote:
Originally Posted by engee View Post
I think you are on the right track, but I would say get onto a real track or autocross before you say you need to get over the stock performance of the car. In stock form, it still takes a good amount of skill to drive this car fast.

Driving on normal roads will never bring you close to driving to the edges of performance like you are saying. If you truly want to "impress yourself" and "want more excitement", hold off on mods and get some seat time to appreciate the car more (possibly get humbled in the process with the realization that you aren't even pushing your car at all). Just my 0.02.
I agree and will say yea there's not really any reasoning to push my car on city roads whatever. But knowing so makes a person feel better. As every frs owner knows once you hit 3rd 4th it's as if your just driving in a wind tunnel, which is the point I want to get over. There's some times you can push your car without being on a track. But just the fact of knowing I could burn almost any car without having to be on a course would make me 100% happy with this car.. Yea I know that's not the kind of car it is and it was designed for a track but I know it's capable of it so why not invest the car to be sick at both.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #38
strat61caster
-

Quote:
See there's a wealth of information there that could have gone into the OP to reduce the amount of frustration that we are feeling towards you.
  • You have had the car for awhile now
  • Therefore you're not a kid who's got 100 miles on the clock looking to go faster, because that's what it seemed like in the post
  • In summary, you're bored, you've had fun with the car and you want more

Only you can figure out what "more excitement" means to you. I can go on about cautionary tales and such but the bottom line is that you're going to do what you want to do.

Best advice: go drive it on a track in a safe environment and realize that "going faster" is a nebulous goal.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #39
strat61caster
-

Quote:
But just the fact of knowing I could burn almost any car without having to be on a course would make me 100% happy with this car.
Welp, I think we're done here, you're not going to listen to my previous advice so here you go.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Enjoy.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #40
Jonoraven93

Quote:
Welp, I think we're done here, you're not going to listen to my previous advice so here you go.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Enjoy.
Trust me I'm listening to the advice, I don't understand how everyone can't understand the fact of just wanting a better frs. Yes there's much you can do to the car but that's where I don't understand, what all I can do to it.theres a lot of misunderstanding of me just wantin to go "faster" but that's not the case I just want to know How to have a quicker car, better acceleration after 2nd gear. Yea I don't race on a track or drag race, but it is my everyday car.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #41
strat61caster
-

Quote:
theres a lot of misunderstanding of me just wantin to go "faster" but that's not the case I just want to know How to have a quicker car, better acceleration after 2nd gear. Yea I don't race on a track or drag race, but it is my everyday car.
Go to the forums I linked you to.

There are two ways to get better acceleration; add lightness or add power, F=m*a. Weight reduction is impractical in this car because it's already relatively bare bones so that leaves engine mods.

The thing is you can go "faster" the way you're defining it for a lot less money, that isn't what this car was built for. It's great you're subscribing to the "blank canvas" that this car was sold as but the bottom line is that there are better ways to go "faster".

The only mawds you're actually going to feel are going to take serious work, you will be abusing your engine and nobody knows what's safe yet, the limits are still being explored. Adding power will reduce the lifespan of the car which is why many people are avoiding it and advising it against it (especially since it's your primary vehicle), but if that's what you want the forums I linked are a better place than this.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #42
Jonoraven93

Quote:
Go to the forums I linked you to.

There are two ways to get better acceleration; add lightness or add power, F=m*a. Weight reduction is impractical in this car because it's already relatively bare bones so that leaves engine mods.

The thing is you can go "faster" the way you're defining it for a lot less money, that isn't what this car was built for. It's great you're subscribing to the "blank canvas" that this car was sold as but the bottom line is that there are better ways to go "faster".

The only mawds you're actually going to feel are going to take serious work, you will be abusing your engine and nobody knows what's safe yet, the limits are still being explored. Adding power will reduce the lifespan of the car which is why many people are avoiding it and advising it against it (especially since it's your primary vehicle), but if that's what you want the forums I linked are a better place than this.
Well see I wasn't very aware of the testing still of most products. But I mean something as simple as a air intake or coil overs would that even do much? In wat kind of price range? Or even a full exhaust change are there actually good ones out or are they still bein explored. Like I said I'm new to the whole car world, but of course the fr-s is makin me want to learn more.