follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2014, 02:26 AM   #1
FRStrent

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Here Need Ideas

Hello everyone I recently bought a brand new 2014 FRS. I have owned it for about 5 days now and so far put about 600 miles on it (still breaking it in).

I am a Honda fanatic and always will be but the FRS just appeals to me. It just looks so good; however, I am not a big fan of the boxer engine... not yet at least.

I have an 8 year warranty on the car and really don't plan on breaking it. What modifications can I do to this car without voiding the warranty?

I was thinking coilovers, tires, wheels and window tint. Will either of these options void the warranty? What about exhaust?

I am not looking at forced induction right now even though I have thought about it. My Integra makes 615whp so if I want to go fast I just take that car out.

When I bought the FRS I wanted a nice looking, reliable and fun to drive DD. So far I think I have made the right decision.

Below is a picture of the car and a video of my teg :p just for the heck of it lol.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfh68dJoLKc"]615whp Integra - YouTube[/ame]
Attached Images

FRStrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:34 AM   #2
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Warranties are almost never voided.

Warranty coverage can be denied due to circumstances: mods, abuse, neglect etc.

Google is your friend:
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act"]Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Marchy (07-08-2014), mattbenich (07-10-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 02:40 AM   #3
FRStrent

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Warranties are almost never voided.

Warranty coverage can be denied due to circumstances: mods, abuse, neglect etc.

Google is your friend:
Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Okay thank you.

I suppose the easiest way would be for me just to talk to the dealership and see what they say.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:40 AM   #4
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
You can do anything to your car as long as it doesn't cause something else to break.

I wonder why people add coilovers to a car that was tuned so well from the factory.

There's a post here by MotoP that explains what to do IF you lower your car. You can search it.

Tint and exhaust won't cause issues at the dealer.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (07-08-2014), strat61caster (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 02:44 AM   #5
Fastbrew

Drives: 2014 Pearl White BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I am on the road to FI. I started from the bottom up doing wheels, tires, coilovers, swaybars, brace, etc.

Want my true advice? Unless you really like to tinker - the car is damn near perfect as is. I would drive it around for awhile and really enjoy the way you can hammer it around. It is a delicate balance.

You can noodle with an intake hose and a different air filter, etc.

I guess I am saying - if you got the car to enjoy the way it drives - do so. If you got it to fiddle with - well then you know how it goes. It is just a beautiful auto right out of the chute.

Have fun!
Fastbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fastbrew For This Useful Post:
Karigan (07-08-2014), MAPerformance (07-08-2014), raven1231 (07-07-2014), strat61caster (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 02:51 AM   #6
FRStrent

You are right about the coilovers. I have a friend who tracks his BRZ and says the stock suspension is really good and advises against coilovers. I might wait on those for a while but I would like less wheel gap.

As far as tint, exhaust and wheels go... I will do those first. I don't want to reduce the reliability of the engine by going FI just yet. I just want to do some aesthetics and exhaust for now. Keep is clean and simple.

I will enjoy the car how it is for the rest of the summer and maybe over the winter, while the car is in storage, buy a few mods for it.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:11 AM   #7
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastbrew View Post
I am on the road to FI. I started from the bottom up doing wheels, tires, coilovers, swaybars, brace, etc.

Want my true advice? Unless you really like to tinker - the car is damn near perfect as is. I would drive it around for awhile and really enjoy the way you can hammer it around. It is a delicate balance.

You can noodle with an intake hose and a different air filter, etc.

I guess I am saying - if you got the car to enjoy the way it drives - do so. If you got it to fiddle with - well then you know how it goes. It is just a beautiful auto right out of the chute.

Have fun!
I believe the consensus here is to change the air filter but not the tubing. Best bang for buck is to change the filter and leave the tubing.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
mattbenich (07-10-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 03:14 AM   #8
Fastbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRStrent View Post
You are right about the coilovers. I have a friend who tracks his BRZ and says the stock suspension is really good and advises against coilovers. I might wait on those for a while but I would like less wheel gap.

As far as tint, exhaust and wheels go... I will do those first. I don't want to reduce the reliability of the engine by going FI just yet. I just want to do some aesthetics and exhaust for now. Keep is clean and simple.

I will enjoy the car how it is for the rest of the summer and maybe over the winter, while the car is in storage, buy a few mods for it.
It's a good plan. You can always try some springs on the existing suspension.
And - just to throw this out - here is a very reasonable setup if you want to do a little more. Lots of advice on the forums.

http://www.hotchkis.net/scion-frs-st...le-system.html

FYI - even lowering it probably needs a trip to the dealer to reset your yaw/pitch/steering angle. At least you can probably find TechStream at your Scion dealer. Most Subaru dealers don't have a clue what it is. Messing with your suspension may cause your TCS to start going ballistic and kicking on.

So much fun ahead
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbrew For This Useful Post:
mattbenich (07-10-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 03:19 AM   #9
Fastbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
I believe the consensus here is to change the air filter but not the tubing. Best bang for buck is to change the filter and leave the tubing.
That sounds about right. I did my tubing because I was dying to start messing around and it was an easy target.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fastbrew For This Useful Post:
mattbenich (07-10-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 03:41 AM   #10
FRStrent

Thanks a lot guys for the info. I'm just used to modding older Hondas where it's basically a walk in the park and no fancy things to deal with lol. Putting a turbo on a b-series is no big deal anymore but boosting an FRS seems like a lot of work lol.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:14 AM   #11
kevman_101

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hi FRStrent. Congrats on the FRS. Best thing you can spend on your FRS is finding an Autocross race. You can not imagine how much fun you will have. Leave it stock. Kill the stock tires, then plan what you want for the car.
kevman_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:31 AM   #12
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Well if you drop it consider you will probably have to fight to get most of the suspension and axles warrantied in the future.

I am not sure I understand people buying a new car and the extended warranty then asking what mods they can get away with. Cash in that warranty and spend the money on whatever mods you want. If your engine and trans last the 5 year / 60 000 Subaru warranty why shouldn't it last the 8 / 100 000?

My advice would be stay stock, get new wheels if you don't like stock. Rock stock and save especially if you already have a car you like spending money on.

Good luck
Old 07-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
FRStrent

Thanks guys. Maybe I am just jumping the gun a little on mods right now. I mean I can do a few things and still be fine but you are right about the suspension. Just leave it alone for now and enjoy the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to FRStrent For This Useful Post:
mattbenich (07-10-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 05:08 PM   #14
B$

Drives: Monogram Whiteout
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Wheel gap is just too big if you stay stock.
B$ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B$ For This Useful Post:
mattbenich (07-10-2014)