follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2015, 09:47 AM   #113
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post

Interesting you say that. I haven't driven a 981 S yet, but used to own a 987.2 Boxster S and loved it. I hear the new 981 is more refined and faster, but offers less feedback overall, especially through the steering rack. Some folks I talked to prefer the way the older cars drive for that raw/visceral feel. Would you say that's accurate?
Ya my manager prefers the older ones for feedback, all the way back to 996. i feel like the 981 has good feedback thru the steering. It feels similar to the 991. The accel has minimal lag, and brakes are ridiculously strong. i prefer a 981 gts pdk if i was getting one for myself. I dont get many 987 right now because its winter but i do feel ita a big difference driving confidance with the new one.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:42 AM   #114
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Ronin View Post
Ya my manager prefers the older ones for feedback, all the way back to 996. i feel like the 981 has good feedback thru the steering. It feels similar to the 991. The accel has minimal lag, and brakes are ridiculously strong. i prefer a 981 gts pdk if i was getting one for myself. I dont get many 987 right now because its winter but i do feel ita a big difference driving confidance with the new one.
Thanks for the comments, it's nice hearing from someone who can compare between generations. I really like the redesigned exterior of the 981, but people's comments about its steering and feedback worried me a bit. Sounds like it might have been overblown.

Also agree on the 981 GTS - awesome car! I've got a friend who just put in his order for a new GT3-RS. He's been sending me constant texts about it, so I've got Porsches on my mind lol.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:16 AM   #115
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the comments, it's nice hearing from someone who can compare between generations. I really like the redesigned exterior of the 981, but people's comments about its steering and feedback worried me a bit. Sounds like it might have been overblown.
Honestly if "jittery" is the best way to describe old Porsche steering, I don't know that I would like that. I think the 981 has pretty good steering wheel weight and it'll sometimes pull at your hands so I think it's perfectly fine. My old MR-S with power steering turned off did not have a jittery steering wheel, so I think all the people claiming their old Porsches had "so much feedback" are maybe delusional. My mom's SUV has jittery steering and I'm pretty sure it's because the rack isn't applying assist properly.

My complaints about the 981 are that the hood is a bit too long and the dash is a little too high (I really like how the forward visibility was in my MR-S with the short and low nose), and the steering wheel is freaking huge and seems to have a slower rack ratio than my MR-S.

On the plus side, the handling inspires a ton of confidence, the engine response is great, 2.7 is a good sized engine to have some fun on the street (maybe a little overpowered if you're used to driving the speed limit like I am), and the car looks great. I haven't driven a manual 9x1 but I did fiddle with a gear shift at a dealer once and it felt absolutely incredible. I was having way too much fun just pressing the clutch and moving the shifter around lol. I think if the baby Boxster rumors are true it could be a pretty wild success.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:58 AM   #116
Grip Ronin
The Mechanic

Drives: Civic Turbo,FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Also agree on the 981 GTS - awesome car! I've got a friend who just put in his order for a new GT3-RS. He's been sending me constant texts about it, so I've got Porsches on my mind lol.
I havent slid the cars sideways so idk if thats were they dont like the feedback, but whipping thru highways and exits i love the feel plus the pop and gargle on downshifts with the pdk and the sport exhaust on is way too much fun. But yaa that rs is a real collectors car but all my faith is in a gt4. we are all excited in the shop to drive one. i think the 991 s 3.8 has great, linear power thru the whole range. so that in a caymans chassis is unstoppable im fairly confident it can take down a gt3.. not a rs tho
Old 03-22-2015, 09:09 AM   #117
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
In my opinion if you can afford a Porsche and it happens to be your preference over a BMW or Mercedes, then a twin is the perfect compliment as a garage mate. Similiar attributes, a good deal of the performance if you go aftermarket wisely, but lacking the refinement. In other words a great car to have fun with while saving the P-car from daily duty. I recently sold my 427 vert in preperation for a future Porsche.
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #118
TheRoadWarrior
Much damage?

Drives: Renaultsport Clio200
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
OP, this isn't a direct answer to your question but thought I'd chime in with some 'relevant' experience.
I've got some seat time in a 991 Turbo S, now I know you're not comparing the twins to a turbo S, rather a standard 911 however- it's a useful comparison all the same as it somewhat bookends the 911 experience (gt3 excluded as that's a rather special case).

The turbo S has over 500bhp, awd and an auto box. You could conclude it's the fastest and therefore most exciting 911 you can buy, certainly for a mere mortal that wouldn't extract 100% from a gt3 (I.e me)

In isolation the thing is epic. It is SO quick off the line, handles great and the gearbox is AMAZING! Coming up to a corner, braking it's putting in downshifts with real ferocity, BAM, BAM, BAM and you're in exactly the right gear to power out of the corner way better than you could ever do manually. It makes a pretty good noise too.

Thing is it's too bloody easy!!! If I owned a 911 turbo S I'd either be in jail within a week or exhausted the entire western hemisphere's supply of unleaded. It just makes the business of driving fast totally easy. Now again base 911 =/ turboS however the DNA is the same, the platform is what matters.

The twins- not so much. Driving fast? Then you'd better have ability to go with your ambition. Personally I like that, it's engaging, they feel fast without being over the top. Now if you're looking for something else, fine- but if you want a car that's more raw I'm not sure the 911 is it.
TheRoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #119
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Yep, the twins are most of the fun for a hell of a lot less money.
I would agree with that statement 100%, until you start modding them seriously. A gentleman who purchased a VW from me (2015 Jetta GLI 6MT) got to talking about his 2009 911 and I mentioned my conundrum. He said that honestly to own a 911 in the Boston area is kind of a waste; I'd have more fun with the BRZ because there's no place to really stretch the 911's legs. I would agree with that as well, as I have yet to find a spot in Massachusetts to actually use all 450hp and 415lb/ft of my RS6. *but* I won't be in Massachusetts forever and furthermore I will be tracking the car occasionally, so it will get proper use.

Has anyone noticed prices of early Aston Martin DB9's and Vantages hovering around $50k lately? Oh lordy, that might be another topic for another time!

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (04-17-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #120
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
If there is anything else you want to know let me know.

THIS.

I drove my FR-S off the lot with 7 miles on the odometer in 2012 and even before that my goal was to get a Porsche by my 28th birthday. I've wavered back and forth on 997 Carrera S vs 987 Cayman S and the fact of the matter is I could enjoy the Cayman a lot more on city streets and have $$ to fend off running costs. I spent 240 miles in a 991 Carrera S this past weekend and is was an effing riot, that being said it might be too much on city streets. It's also about $30K more for a decent example.

At the moment I'm still in the saving stage, but I will likely start looking early fall of 2016. Any pointers or tips on the search, acquisition and driving experience?

I also have zero intention of selling my FR-S, why not have BOTH!
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:45 PM   #121
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re~Mix View Post
THIS.

I drove my FR-S off the lot with 7 miles on the odometer in 2012 and even before that my goal was to get a Porsche by my 28th birthday. I've wavered back and forth on 997 Carrera S vs 987 Cayman S and the fact of the matter is I could enjoy the Cayman a lot more on city streets and have $$ to fend off running costs. I spent 240 miles in a 991 Carrera S this past weekend and is was an effing riot, that being said it might be too much on city streets. It's also about $30K more for a decent example.

At the moment I'm still in the saving stage, but I will likely start looking early fall of 2016. Any pointers or tips on the search, acquisition and driving experience?

Sexy!!
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:27 AM   #122
strmshadow84

Drives: 14 Cayman S, 16 Camaro 2SS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
THIS.

Keep the FR-S and get a 981S, I love mine

strmshadow84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strmshadow84 For This Useful Post:
Re~Mix (03-28-2015)
Old 03-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #123
Tiz

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I am coming from a Nissan GT-R (which was no fun to drive at all). I did not pick a Porsche because these cars are too impracticable. With a Pcar you cannot go skiing (2 persons, 2-3 pairs of skis, luggage for 1-2 weeks). With a Pcar you cannot drive to a track with 4 additional wheels (slicks) in your trunk. Last but not least, you cannot simply park a Pcar somewhere in the city. Some people might envy you and vandalize the car. People might consider you a snob. By contrast, a 400hp BRZ can be quite unobtrusive but is still fun to drive.
Tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #124
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiz View Post
I am coming from a Nissan GT-R (which was no fun to drive at all). I did not pick a Porsche because these cars are too impracticable. With a Pcar you cannot go skiing (2 persons, 2-3 pairs of skis, luggage for 1-2 weeks). With a Pcar you cannot drive to a track with 4 additional wheels (slicks) in your trunk. Last but not least, you cannot simply park a Pcar somewhere in the city. Some people might envy you and vandalize the car. People might consider you a snob. By contrast, a 400hp BRZ can be quite unobtrusive but is still fun to drive.
This is a concern; my girlfriend lives in a fairly unsavory neighborhood in Boston so I might put it off until her lease is up... Or I'll just buy a winter beater and drive that whenever I go visit her, lol.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #125
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
THIS.

I'm used to slow cars so I think even the 981 base Cayman has maybe a little too much power (pretty good from 1k-4k rpm, but there's not many chances to hit the rev limiter), but that car is pretty fun and the engine sounds like angels singing. If you're shopping in 2016 you should be able to find a used one at a slight discount, like low 40s for a lightly optioned one I would guess. If you grab a 2014 model (sold in 2013 essentially) then someone else has basically exhausted all of the required ripoff dealer maintenance for the warranty for you too.

I would personally ditch the 18/19/20" wheels and try to find a lightweight set of 17s as the first mod because I don't like how the wheels seem to "crash" into bumps and holes in the pavement. The ride comfort is fine but it makes it feel a little clumsy and "heavy". My MR2 on uncomfortable Tein springs with a comparatively high proportion of unsprung mass didn't feel like that.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #126
Re~Mix

Drives: 13' Scion FRS MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
I'm used to slow cars so I think even the 981 base Cayman has maybe a little too much power (pretty good from 1k-4k rpm, but there's not many chances to hit the rev limiter), but that car is pretty fun and the engine sounds like angels singing. If you're shopping in 2016 you should be able to find a used one at a slight discount, like low 40s for a lightly optioned one I would guess. If you grab a 2014 model (sold in 2013 essentially) then someone else has basically exhausted all of the required ripoff dealer maintenance for the warranty for you too.
Agreed. I still like the older gen 987 and I happen to think the gearing on the newer Porsches is a bit off. When you can hit 110 in 3rd its no longer fun. I like to shift

Anxiously awaiting next summer when I can start looking for real!
Re~Mix is offline   Reply With Quote