follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Saved ~ My Child, Myself, and My FR-S

Don't like venting or sharing my personal incidents... And don't like wasting each member's time with a thread that may or may not touch anothers life... But I still wanted to ventilate since I'm only human, much like yourselves.

Over 2-3 hours ago, I encountered something that could've changed my life in the worst of ways. I was in the midst of intense 5 P.M. traffic, and pulled at the signal in the middle of several vehicles. My 10 month old daughter was sound asleep behind me and buckled in her car seat. I was at peace sitting in the driver's seat. No music, no distractions, no phone calls, no texting. I was just quiet and to myself... As I usually am... Lost in my own thoughts... Until I heard an intense and massive shockwave of negative sounds. I realized what it was. It was a three-car collision which slammed into each other some how / some way directly behind me, and as a result, touched / bumped me from behind as I was accelerating to pull away from the collision as it approached me closer and closer... I knew I had to get away fast, and so I did.

I pulled away to the very right, and away from traffic and all other vehicles (with my hazard lights flashing)... My daughter was still sound asleep. I got out of my car, and rushed to the other three cars, and tried to help the others out of their cars and to see if every single individual was okay... And at the same time, on the phone with 911 emergency providing information of location, incident, and additional details required. Each person seemed okay, yet two of them were very shaken up, but still seemed to not be injured in any major way from what I could see.

The three cars were a VW Passat or Jetta (I think), a Mazda 3, and a Ford / Mercury brand sedan of some sort.

My FR-S was barely bumped / touched, and thankfully it left no permanent mark or damage of any sort, and I just rubbed off the black paint mark which the VW left behind on me, I believe... Very minor and came off right away with my finger.

Although I should consider myself extremely fortunate, and I truly do... Though there are always some negatives that I encountered. The police report that I was included in would list the incident on my driving record / license (which possibly will affect my insurance), and likely on the history report for my FR-S / VIN number... Even though I don't need any repair whatsoever. It's painful to swallow since my record was bad enough from when I was very immature a few years back and my driving record / insurance was not my brightest side... Therefore I was trying my best to keep it as clean as possible for a long while now... And this happened.

As all of you will advise, I should be thankful... That my kid is completely fine, I'm okay, and the FR-S will live another day... Unharmed.

I did not manage to take a better image, and did not take more than one... The Mazda 3 is not in the picture, although it completely hopped over the curb and into the grass... Suffering the most damage. The officer notified me that the fault went to the VW. The image is directly behind my FR-S as I was pulled ahead and to the side away from all traffic. Sorry, I honestly don't know exactly how the accident happened although I have some ideas that may or may not be accurate... I'm thinking the VW suddenly pulled into the right only lane and slammed into the Mazda 3 as it was going at normal speed... And then the massive collision happened.

All comments welcomed, as always. I'll check back on this thread as I may need to call it a night soon.
Attached Images

Texas BRZ

Last edited by Texas BRZ; 08-29-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Grammar correction.
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (08-28-2012), Books (08-29-2012), Dadhawk (08-29-2012), Fly Guy (08-29-2012), Guff (08-31-2012), MiguelAE86 (08-28-2012), S2kphile (08-29-2012), Snozzberries (08-28-2012), wheelhaus (08-29-2012), wrxgoose (08-29-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
JimmyMac

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2016 Miata Club
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Good to hear you and your child are safe and sound. And kudos to your quick reflexes. I try to drive as defensively as I can. I trust no one on the road! So what makes you think that your insurance will go up? You were not at fault. I don't ever recall my insurance going up when I was a teen and a victim of a hit and run. Blame was not on you. Main thing you need to worry about is any wording that you do if an accident report comes down through your or anyone's insurance company. I think you'll be just fine. Anyways, glad y'all made it out safely!
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyMac For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I'm glad that you, your daughter, and your car are all fine. I think insurance is different from state to state, but in my state, insurance premium does not go up if the accident was not your fault. To me, there is nothing you should be worrying about.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sigh-on-Rice For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-29-2012), Texas BRZ (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #4
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMac View Post
Good to hear you and your child are safe and sound. And kudos to your quick reflexes. I try to drive as defensively as I can. I trust no one on the road! So what makes you think that your insurance will go up? You were not at fault. I don't ever recall my insurance going up when I was a teen and a victim of a hit and run. Blame was not on you. Main thing you need to worry about is any wording that you do if an accident report comes down through your or anyone's insurance company. I think you'll be just fine. Anyways, glad y'all made it out safely!
Thanks for the helpful response.

I don't know how it all plays out, but I've been told that the insurance views any collisions tied in with the driver's record / license... I didn't know that they would primarily look at who's fault it would be...

On the reflexes: Credit goes to the HPDE events which I attend monthly. I appreciate the instructors training safety, awareness, and reaction speed within me. I'm still working on it, as always.

Texas BRZ
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
Guff (08-31-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Sall
Sallbaru

Drives: raven FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
first good to hear your daughter,you and the frs are okay.excuse my ignorance but why does this affects your insurance rates and driving record if it wasnt your fault ?
Sall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sall For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Jedi1
STX build in progress!

Drives: Whiteout FRS. Just Gorgeous!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
From what I can tell, you were at the front of this and got tapped on the rear of your car. IN this situation YOU ARE NOT AT FAULT. This should not impact your insurance in ANY way. If you see negative things resulting from this report, question them immediately. If your current insurance refuses to take into account that YOU were in NO WAY responsible for this accident, GET ANOTHER ONE!
Jedi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jedi1 For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
I'm glad that you, your daughter, and your car are all fine. I think insurance is different from state to state, but in my state, insurance premium does not go up if the accident was not your fault. To me, there is nothing you should be worrying about.
Okay... That's good to know.

What do you think about a CARFAX / vehicle history report on my car?

Would it be recorded with the VIN since no damage or repair is there?

Texas BRZ
Old 08-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
good to hear your kid, you and the car are all okay man. good job getting away in time. i have built up habit of checking on other pp driving behind and beside me just like you and it has saved my life quite a few times.

i think since you got roped into the accident and it may affect your insurance, i think you should claim their insurance (not sure of car directly behind you or the car at fault because each state is different) to offset the cost of higher insurance. i'm not about taking advantage of pp if your call and you are okay but if you're affected, you shouldn't have to walk away emptyhanded.
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to luxmn For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #9
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi1 View Post
From what I can tell, you were at the front of this and got tapped on the rear of your car. IN this situation YOU ARE NOT AT FAULT. This should not impact your insurance in ANY way. If you see negative things resulting from this report, question them immediately. If your current insurance refuses to take into account that YOU were in NO WAY responsible for this accident, GET ANOTHER ONE!
Makes complete sense.

Yes, I was barely tapped on the bottom-right rear of the bumper. Nothing there for me to worry about... Very fortunate about that, as well.

I may contact my local insurance agency to discuss further tomorrow.

Texas BRZ
Old 08-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
raul
Lap time enthusiast

Drives: Asphalt '13 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sall View Post
first good to hear your daughter,you and the frs are okay.excuse my ignorance but why does this affects your insurance rates and driving record if it wasnt your fault ?
For some asinine reason, car insurance companies think that even though you are not at fault, you don't drive defensively enough and you were involved in an accident, therefore you're more prone to accidents. They expect you to avoid accidents with unreasonable expectations.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raul For This Useful Post:
Texas BRZ (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sall View Post
That question keeps going through my mind also, and the officer said that my driving record will display this incident (when I asked him). And from my understanding thus far, the insurance company may take that into consideration... Perhaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
good to hear your kid, you and the car are all okay man. good job getting away in time. i have built up habit of checking on other pp driving behind and beside me just like you and it has saved my life quite a few times.

i think since you got roped into the accident and it may affect your insurance, i think you should claim their insurance (not sure of car directly behind you or the car at fault because each state is different) to offset the cost of higher insurance. i'm not about taking advantage of pp if your call and you are okay but if you're affected, you shouldn't have to walk away emptyhanded.
Thanks...

I'm not into taking advantage either, but I don't see anything to be gained from this either... Correct me if I've mistaken.

Texas BRZ
Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
Synack
Boosted

Drives: Sideways
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I do have to ask, what city are you in? Texas drivers ARE THE WORST!!

My insurance went up $100/month just because I moved here from Atlanta. I thought Atlanta drivers were bad. Houston drivers are the worst!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
For some asinine reason, car insurance companies think that even though you are not at fault, you don't drive defensively enough and you were involved in an accident, therefore you're more prone to accidents. They expect you to avoid accidents with unreasonable expectations.
That was exactly my thought, as well.

I've experienced a Hit & Run when I had my Evo in the past, and each insurance that I shopped --- mentioned it up to me... Don't know if they even cared if it was my fault or not, but they still brought the incident up, regardless... Even though the Hit & Run suspect was located & found by the authorities after the incident.

Texas BRZ
Old 08-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #14
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synack View Post
I do have to ask, what city are you in? Texas drivers ARE THE WORST!!

My insurance went up $100/month just because I moved here from Atlanta. I thought Atlanta drivers were bad. Houston drivers are the worst!
Plano.

Texas BRZ
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas BRZ For This Useful Post:
Guff (08-31-2012)