follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-14-2023, 02:51 AM   #29
gen3v8
Barred

Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Thanked 1,187 Times in 610 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I`d like to know how your foot can just slip off the brake pedal.
Old 04-14-2023, 06:22 AM   #30
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I've lived with three and a half degrees for the last 10 years. And have driven 5°. I'm not saying one and a half is ideal. Just that it is a significant difference from zero.
It's been a while. 1.5 would just seem insignificant now. Good for a street car.

1.5 would be an improvement not a detriment and would not lead to spinning IMO.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
ZDan (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 07:30 AM   #31
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3v8 View Post
I`d like to know how your foot can just slip off the brake pedal.
Newish ON “Cloud” shoes I haven’t worn since last time it was warm (Oct?). Foot positioned for heel/toe. Slipped right off brake pedal at turn-in for U-turn! These are not great driving shoes…
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 07:37 AM   #32
ZDan

-1.5 is a lot better than 0 degrees front camber for sure. But you don’t spin due to having more front grip. You spin from lack of rear grip, likely due to driver error (big lift, slow hands , etc). The idea that adding 1.5 front camber *caused* 360 is laughable. Do the same thing with 0 front camber and you’ll still spin.
Old 04-14-2023, 08:37 AM   #33
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
1.5 is a decent move on the right direction. But a lot more is needed to extract max grip. In any case if someone went from 0 front camber to -1.5, it’s absurd to ascribe any spins to this (not so) radical change in front camber. Also, this car suffers massively from being nose-heavy, so negative front camber is fricking crucial to get any kind of decent balance. -1.5 front camber is a step in the right direction but not nearly enough to balance the car.

For anyone who finds this understeery car to be too spinny with a mere 1.5deg front camber, I recommend a LOT more track time.
From other conversations here, -1.5 is about the max you can get with the crash bolts, correct?

I wouldn't mind doing a few minor things to improve the turn in and handling of the car but I'm not too keen from straying very far from stock, i.e. camber plates etc. Going with -1 ~ -1.5 sounds like it would be a nice improvement.

Quote:
I've lived with three and a half degrees for the last 10 years. And have driven 5°. I'm not saying one and a half is ideal. Just that it is a significant difference from zero.
What does that much negative camber do to your tire wear? Or do you care?

I guy I know in our autocross region runs -3 on his ATS and he chews through tires pretty quickly, even with fairly frequent rotations.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 09:34 AM   #34
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
From other conversations here, -1.5 is about the max you can get with the crash bolts, correct?

I wouldn't mind doing a few minor things to improve the turn in and handling of the car but I'm not too keen from straying very far from stock, i.e. camber plates etc. Going with -1 ~ -1.5 sounds like it would be a nice improvement.
With Peddars offset top mounts and bolts, might get-2? For sure even 1.5 will be an improvement…

Quote:
With reasonable toe (I run 0 all around) tire wear isn’t a prob. I’m running -2.5 to -3.5 front, -2.8 rear camber and here’s what my winter tires look like after 3 winters, maybe 15k miles:
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 09:38 AM   #35
ZDan

Quote:
I guy I know in our autocross region runs -3 on his ATS and he chews through tires pretty quickly, even with fairly frequent rotations.
On our cars, running -3 front for track or autoX will not hurt, will prolong useful life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (04-14-2023), gen3v8 (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 09:58 AM   #36
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Newish ON “Cloud” shoes I haven’t worn since last time it was warm (Oct?). Foot positioned for heel/toe. Slipped right off brake pedal at turn-in for U-turn! These are not great driving shoes…
I had my foot slip off the brake pedal once, basically same scenario as you except it was with dress shoes. Might consider something like the Cusco throttle pedal extension. Allows you to keep your foot more squarely over the brake pedal when heel-toe downshifting. Pretty much eliminates the possibility of slippage.

Quote:
By putting the SPC 81305 camber bolt in the lower hole and moving the lower bolt to the top hole, you should be able to get around -2 to -2.6 degrees camber up front. Cheap and effective. Just be aware it reduces clearance between the tire and strut.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (04-14-2023), ZDan (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 10:38 AM   #37
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Your toe settings will have more impact on wear than camber. I run 0 toe up front on my street car. For an autoX car I'd likely run some toe out to help turn in, and I suspect that's what he is doing as well.
Desertnate (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 02:06 PM   #38
foshjowler

Drives: 2022 BRZ; 2014 BRZ
Quote:

Yeah, and you'd be lucky to get -1.5*. Think I had -1.3* with just crash bolts. If you aren't constrained by class rules, I'd go with one of the cammed camber bolts. You'll be able to get a little more out of those.

As far as tire wear, it's negligible, especially if you do any type of performance driving. On my Camaro I had before the BRZ I was running about -3* and was still wearing the outside edges the fastest. On my daily tires, I never really noticed any significant camber wear. On the BRZ I'm running -4* up front, and finally not chewing up the outside shoulder of my autocross tires. I imagine it'll shorten the life of my daily tires by some amount, but doubt it will be enough to outweigh the additional life I get out of my autox sets.

Autox Videos
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foshjowler For This Useful Post:
Desertnate (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 02:47 PM   #39
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
No, there isn't a need for it. It just handles better, even within legal limits.
Agree, but Subaru needs to make these for everyone, not just enthusiasts, even if they market to us. So they cheap out and count on us to make the changes. Besides my car came with Prius tires so it’s not like grip was on their mind.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 03:38 PM   #40
mr.whiskers

Drives: '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Nope. You just need more practice behind the wheel.

If you haven't reached the point you can steer the car with the throttle.....
oh 100%
Last summer was my first time ever doing any performance driving in a rwd car.

But even a noob like me could feel a difference. With 0 camber car would understeer more at the limit, which felt safer to me. After getting camber first few runs I was very surprised that handling changed that much, I had to change my driving style completely.

All I am saying is for the street 0 camber would be safer because understeering is better than oversteering (although I'd imagine in worst case scenario the traction control would save you anyway)
mr.whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 03:48 PM   #41
mr.whiskers

Drives: '22 BRZ
Quote:
1.5 is a decent move on the right direction. But a lot more is needed to extract max grip. In any case if someone went from 0 front camber to -1.5, it’s absurd to ascribe any spins to this (not so) radical change in front camber. Also, this car suffers massively from being nose-heavy, so negative front camber is fricking crucial to get any kind of decent balance. -1.5 front camber is a step in the right direction but not nearly enough to balance the car. For anyone who finds this understeery car to be too spinny with a mere 1.5deg front camber, I recommend a LOT more track time.
Oh for sure can't wait for the autox season to start. Last season after couple of events I didn't find the car too spinny at all. But my first event with some negative camber I 100% could feel the difference.

My point is for an experienced driver 2.5 degree negative camber might be of benefit. But that story where you are describing saving yourself going into the turn because of the negative camber I am pretty sure if 99% of regular people who just drive the car on the street would try that - they would end in a guardrail. And since this car is built for the street and the average Joe in mind it kind of makes sense to have 0 camber.
mr.whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 12:49 PM   #42
CedN

Drives: 2013 GT86 fully standard
My Goodyears Eagle f1s after 1 track day on std alignment, worn half way down to the rim edge . Camber helped it a bit, i only have 1.6deg nowdays since it does almost only road driving, but the std granny alignment is a bit crap. (Gen1 though)
Attached Images