follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #29
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
I'm not denying there were some other issues, but those were mostly in the tech forums where most of the serious owners were found. General was full of (mostly) utterly idiotic complaints that I do believe drove the early slam by Consumer Reports(?) against the car.
I think it was the crickets that really dropped the reliability scores of the car and honestly I can totally understand that. I know it doesn't affect the performance of the car, but who wants to spend 30k on a brand new car only to have it sound like something is wrong with the engine?

I had the dealership install the most recent fuel pump for me and I love that I don't have crickets anymore.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 12:02 PM   #30
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
I think it was the crickets that really dropped the reliability scores of the car and honestly I can totally understand that. I know it doesn't affect the performance of the car, but who wants to spend 30k on a brand new car only to have it sound like something is wrong with the engine?

I had the dealership install the most recent fuel pump for me and I love that I don't have crickets anymore.

This is the issue with CR. They have their ranking system and they break it up by category to a degree but they don't really tell you exactly what caused a deduction in a certain category, or how it gets weighted. Crickets, while annoying, are not a reliability issue. Marking them as such without additional clarification is highly irresponsible when you have a reader base that uses your publication to help make decisions about major purchases.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yardjass For This Useful Post:
Cole (10-25-2017), Dadhawk (10-25-2017), DAEMANO (10-25-2017), funwheeldrive (10-25-2017), ToySub1946 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 01:37 PM   #31
paulca

Drives: Toyota GT86 Coupe Red (UK)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
When people hate on your cars it's usually not because of the reliability but more so because it can get smoked by a Camry.
This....

Is faster than this...

Which would you like to take for a spin?
22R (10-25-2017), Cole (10-25-2017), DAEMANO (10-25-2017), funwheeldrive (10-25-2017), Harjotdhanota (10-25-2017), ToySub1946 (10-26-2017), VoltsFRS2013 (10-25-2017), ZDan (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #32
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulca View Post
This....

Is faster than this...

Which would you like to take for a spin?

Yes because the difference between a 747 and a stunt was plane are totally equal to the difference between a Miata and a Mustang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #33
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes because the difference between a 747 and a stunt was plane are totally equal to the difference between a Miata and a Mustang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no need for the sarcasm, we all know he probably should have used a blimp
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:49 PM   #34
Yardjass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
no need for the sarcasm, we all know he probably should have used a blimp

Everyone knows the aircraft equivalent to a Mustang is obviously a Mitsubishi zero.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yardjass For This Useful Post:
VoltsFRS2013 (10-25-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:13 PM   #35
paulca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
Everyone knows the aircraft equivalent to a Mustang is obviously a Mitsubishi zero.
Well... the Mustang was a failure until they put a British Merlin engine in it.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:25 PM   #36
paulca

Quote:
It's an A380.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:41 PM   #37
VoltsFRS2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulca View Post
It's an A380.
Still, doesn't change the fact that you just tried to compare an Airbus to a stunt plane.

If I had said something along the lines of man, I'd rather drive a school bus than the FRS because that thing has a whole lot more of an engine! then sure, go ahead. I get that a camry is a much different car than the FRS but it doesn't change the fact that there are many many more coupes on the market for the same price that you can get a whole lot more of car from (and that's coming from an FRS owner)

I know it depends on the model and year you get but look at it this way, I have a 2013 FRS that has the touch screen info screen. besides that everything inside the cabin feels and looks cheaply made. for 15-17k that's what you get, you're buying a drivers chassis that looks extremely sporty without the oomf. If you want to buy that extra kick of power that the car is missing you go headers and tune (so let's say $1k extra and that's being generous) or you go forced induction for a few grand of labor and parts.

As an owner of these cars, I understand where you're coming from. I love these cars for what they are, but you cannot be oblivious to the fact that most of the people who drive these cars don't buy them for one reason and that reason is that they are underpowered and don't have a consistent surge of power. How many times have you heard someone go and buy a Miata and then come home and say shit, this thing is underpowered? You don't because those cars are balanced for what they are. the FRS stock is not.

I guess you could argue all day over why someone would buy one of these cars and keep them stock, etc etc etc. Point is most of the hate behind our vehicles in the eyes of other consumers is the power of the vehicle and the price at which you're paying vs what you get for that price. I still never understood why Subaru never went ahead and threw in the boxer from the WRX into these but who knows.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #38
mrspindlelegs

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram Series
Quote:
How many times have you heard someone go and buy a Miata and then come home and say shit, this thing is underpowered? You don't because those cars are balanced for what they are. the FRS stock is not.

Every 1st generation Miata owner I have met has said they are underpowered. I've driven a few myself and thought they were extremely overrated in stock form (no power, very harsh suspension, legs get cooked by the transmission tunnel, never could maintain driving in a straight line and had a spine-breaking ride on rough surfaces). When the 2nd generation hit, definitely fewer but not zero complaints about power (still couldn't maintain driving in a straight line). Heard no complaints from 3rd and 4th generation owners. The ability to stay driving in a straight line was finally cured in the 4th generation.

I find the FR-S to be a very well balanced car in stock form but that doesn't mean it can't be improved (we all know that).

Ah well, we are a pissy bunch, aren't we? LOL
Fuel Economy - Best was 37.2 mpg, Worst was 28.2 mpg
mrspindlelegs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrspindlelegs For This Useful Post:
VoltsFRS2013 (10-25-2017), Yardjass (10-26-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #39
VoltsFRS2013

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspindlelegs View Post
Every 1st generation Miata owner I have met has said they are underpowered. I've driven a few myself and thought they were extremely overrated in stock form (no power, very harsh suspension, legs get cooked by the transmission tunnel, never could maintain driving in a straight line and had a spine-breaking ride on rough surfaces). When the 2nd generation hit, definitely fewer but not zero complaints about power (still couldn't maintain driving in a straight line). Heard no complaints from 3rd and 4th generation owners. The ability to stay driving in a straight line was finally cured in the 4th generation.

I find the FR-S to be a very well balanced car in stock form but that doesn't mean it can't be improved (we all know that).

This is a good point, I guess I should have made is specific to what gen I was talking too. Although still, FRS has been in production since 2012. It's going on quite a few years of barely any reasonable stock improvements which is why it receives hate. Why would you go pay $26k+ for a brand new 86 when you can put that money in another vehicle? you know what I mean? I'm not like trying to stir the pot or cause drama.
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
Yardjass (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:36 AM   #40
Yardjass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspindlelegs View Post

As an NA8 owner, the underpowered comment is spot on. The rest, well, isn't. There is almost no difference between the engine in an NA8 Miata and an NB. If the car isn't tracking straight, it is because the owner is a cuck and isn't properly keeping up with maintenance on an old car. Take a look at the bushings, tie rod ends, suspension, and even the tire wear and compound at all four corners.

Quote:
This is a good point, I guess I should have made is specific to what gen I was talking too. Although still, FRS has been in production since 2012. It's going on quite a few years of barely any reasonable stock improvements which is why it receives hate. Why would you go pay $26k+ for a brand new 86 when you can put that money in another vehicle? you know what I mean? I'm not like trying to stir the pot or cause drama.

This is spot on. These things depreciate quite a bit in the first few years. They do so to the point where you're much better off spending new MSRP on a used one plus a turbo kit, wheels, etc. You can get a much better package without even having to look outside the platform if you're okay with starting off with 20k-30k miles or so. It would still be preferable to get it with a warranty and a known history from day one though.
VoltsFRS2013 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:48 AM   #41
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
This is spot on. These things depreciate quite a bit in the first few years. They do so to the point where you're much better off spending new MSRP on a used one plus a turbo kit, wheels, etc. You can get a much better package without even having to look outside the platform if you're okay with starting off with 20k-30k miles or so. It would still be preferable to get it with a warranty and a known history from day one though.
This isn't unique to the 86, nearly all cars depreciate as you describe.

Also, if you buy one with 20K-30K miles on it, you will have a warranty, the balance of the original 30/60K warranty.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #42
Yardjass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
This isn't unique to the 86, nearly all cars depreciate as you describe.

Also, if you buy one with 20K-30K miles on it, you will have a warranty, the balance of the original 30/60K warranty.

And then if you slap a turbocharger or tune on it, you won't. At least not on the engine/trans parts.
Dadhawk (10-26-2017)