follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #169
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
This is the first time I've heard of this. So regardless of whatever option, FF kit will cause the OBD-II/O2 system to never achieve readiness state? I'd fail inspection in Texas for that (and have with previous car)
Firstly, all this stuff is for "off road" use only, and apparently the EPA isn't happy with that either these days

Now, both evap and rear o2 will fail a monitor. Evap should only fail one monitor. Rear o2 may fail two or more, but I don't recall exactly which the BRZ has since we don't do inspections here. Most vehicles have a catalyst efficiency, o2 heater, and heated catalyst monitors. That's 3. In PA we can have 1 for newer vehicles--which is all the evap sets. So this is one advantage of the evap as the input and can easily justify the $80 price difference.

Now conversely you could just disconnect the flex fuel input on the evap side and flash a stock tune on pump gas, and it should reset pretty quick. Same thing with the rear o2 input. You can plug the factory sensor back in, flash the stock tune and run pump gas and that will set eventually. Both are easy enough for the most part. Until you are in a hot climate and the ECU wants to see sub 90f intake temps to set certain monitors...then you end up driving at 2am, appearing to be intoxicated with random coasting and sub speed limit driving.

So best advice is to look up your state law (most states allow one or two not ready) and pick if its worth the convenience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
Jyn (02-12-2016), LS1M (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #170
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kch View Post
we get a freebie. it's the second "not ready" that fails you.
Thanks. All I knew was "no CEL, OBD-II must be in ready state." I currently have a catless header with JDL's high flow cat in the FP and no CEL. Wanted to make sure when I get the ME-FF kit that I'll still be able to pass in Texas
Old 02-12-2016, 11:29 AM   #171
Xero-Limit

Quote:
Thanks. All I knew was "no CEL, OBD-II must be in ready state." I currently have a catless header with JDL's high flow cat in the FP and no CEL. Wanted to make sure when I get the ME-FF kit that I'll still be able to pass in Texas
This is what your state appears to say:

Quote:
Effective October 15, 2008:

For vehicles year model 2001 and newer, we allow one (1) non-continuous monitor to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but two (2) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.

For vehicles year model 1996 – 2000, we allow two (2) non-continuous monitors to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but three (3) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xero-Limit For This Useful Post:
Jyn (02-12-2016), LS1M (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #172
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
You the real MVP, Mike!
Old 02-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #173
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Texas guy checking in, you're fine with a flex fuel kit. If you repurpose your CPC solenoid output to use with a boost controller, that'll throw your second not ready and cause a fail. Good to go otherwise.
Jyn (02-12-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #174
LS1M

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZoomTX View Post
Texas guy checking in, you're fine with a flex fuel kit. If you repurpose your CPC solenoid output to use with a boost controller, that'll throw your second not ready and cause a fail. Good to go otherwise.
So if you use the rear o2 sensor connector for the flex fuel kit, which test shows not ready?
Old 02-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #175
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1M View Post
So if you use the rear o2 sensor connector for the flex fuel kit, which test shows not ready?
You will have one not ready from the rear oxygen sensor due to the rear O2 codes being disabled (required for flex fuel, also prevents CEL which is an immediate fail). You can pass with one not ready and no CEL.
LS1M (02-19-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #176
Toyota GT 86

Drives: Toyota GT 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
We'll let the pictures do the talking, but here's what is included for $650

Zeitronix ECA with gauge and sensor
Ethanol compatible hose
Name brand AN anodized fittings throughout--no clamps, no plastic
Push on fittings and 100% reversible with no cutting
Minimalist routing. Look at the picture of the kit mounted. You won't find unsightly looping lengths of hose here
Simple sensor mounting. Ties right to the lines and is as solid as can be
Wire harness for ECU
There are four wires to hook up: Ground, IGN-ON power, sensor IN and ECU output. All crimps/connectors included and terminated where possible.

You can also choose to use the rear o2 instead of the ECU harness. For this you can save 100 and that makes this the most affordable complete flex fuel kit out there!

Mapping is as follows:

Moto-East customer: FREE
If you have hardware/license from another EcuTek tuner: 200 for NA, 250 for SC or stock boost AVO/Greddy, 350 for high boost anything or custom turbo.
If you need a kit then it is 799/849/949 including license & hardware.

It is now live and available here for pre-order:
http://www.moto-east.com/store/moto-...fuel-ft86.html

Initially we did not want to go the pre-order route, but getting enough fittings has taken a bit longer than expected so we are setting a ship date by 3/1, so end of next week the first batch will be out the door (hopefully earlier)

EDIT 3/1: Instructions are live here:

https://www.moto-east.com/support/kb/faq.php?cid=1

Hello, I bought the kit but it doesn't came with the % of E85 gauge
Old 05-18-2016, 05:35 PM   #177
morswestford

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
hi im considering buying a flex fuel kit and have some basic questions,

Will this kit pass PA emissions?
Is this for daily driving, or is it more for track use?
What if i cant get to a ethanol station and just put gas in, if i purchase your tune, will your tune automatically adjust the tune in the vehicle based on the amount of ethanol content?
Old 05-18-2016, 09:54 PM   #178
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morswestford View Post
hi im considering buying a flex fuel kit and have some basic questions,

Will this kit pass PA emissions?
Is this for daily driving, or is it more for track use?
What if i cant get to a ethanol station and just put gas in, if i purchase your tune, will your tune automatically adjust the tune in the vehicle based on the amount of ethanol content?
Im not accross all the different emmissions tests in your country but check back a few post for moto mikes info.

Yes a flex fuel kit (sensor fuel lines wiring and display) coupled with a flex fuel tune to interpret the ethanol content of the fuel it is a fully automated system so you can put in any combination of petrol or e85 and the system will sort out the fueling and timing boost etc.

You will get the best performance when the ethanol percentrage is above about 60% or maybe 70 on boosted cars.

can be used on street or track but tuner may somtimes offer different grades of tune for predomanantly track use as they are generally a bit less aggressive than "street" tunes to cope with long periods of high speed loads and temperatures.

somtimes you can get the tuner to put street and track tune setting on some of the 4 modes available in an ecutek tune
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
driftking96 (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 10:21 PM   #179
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Looks like PSR have gone a different direction?
Do they use any of your adapters Mike?
Their whole page is copy+paste from zeitronix page.

http://www.prospeedracing.com.au/pro...-and-play.html

I'd get the ME evap kit over any other ones if I could ever figure out the entry point to A01I in IDA.

Side note: Does anyone else miss jamesm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-mike View Post
More updates! Continuing to sell as fast as we can make them, this weeks orders will go out today and Friday. We're having supply problems with both ECAs and fittings, but we're committed to using only the best US made components, so for that reason we'd rather wait for the big batches than substitute leaking fuel fittings.

ProSpeed Racing in AU will be the distributor for these down under, make sure to give them a ring and pick up a kit. This will save you guys some money and travel time to get down there.

For other folks with the JDM style harnesses, will keep some available as well.

Also we revamped the kits to use the ECA2 primarily now. Functionally completely identical, but they will be a simpler hookup with just power (fuse box), ground (screw by fusebox), and signal (one connector). This is easier than the last install method, but you'll need to make a bigger opening in the wire harness rubber to get the connector through. Or use the soundhole on the passenger side and then you have nothing to worry about!

We're also going to have a "budget" version where you can plug in using the rear o2 sensor. This will be just an ECA2, rear o2 plug, and sensor/harness. There is no cockpit routing, and you can see the ethanol content through EcuTek or by getting the gauge for a bit extra.

Get you orders in now so that when the next batch of ECAs come in we can get them for you, also fteightysix will be stocking them on the west side of the country, so give them a shout for quicker shipping out there, or when we're out of stock.

And the lower gas prices are having an effect on corn fuel prices as well; we're starting to see e85 get to below $3/gal around here!
Old 05-19-2016, 12:32 PM   #180
Xero-Limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
Looks like PSR have gone a different direction?
Do they use any of your adapters Mike?
Their whole page is copy+paste from zeitronix page.
:
Not sure, they used to have our kits but currently you'd have to find out from them.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:55 PM   #181
morswestford

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Does the moto-east flex fuel kit have a flex fuel tune? The website was devoid of information about that.

I reviewed the delicious tuning flex fuel kit, and their kit includes a flex fuel tune. So I was wondering about the differences between the delicious kit and the moto-east kit.

Certainly having a tune that changes automatically based on the ethanol content in the system seems to be pretty important to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Im not accross all the different emmissions tests in your country but check back a few post for moto mikes info.

Yes a flex fuel kit (sensor fuel lines wiring and display) coupled with a flex fuel tune to interpret the ethanol content of the fuel it is a fully automated system so you can put in any combination of petrol or e85 and the system will sort out the fueling and timing boost etc.

You will get the best performance when the ethanol percentrage is above about 60% or maybe 70 on boosted cars.

can be used on street or track but tuner may somtimes offer different grades of tune for predomanantly track use as they are generally a bit less aggressive than "street" tunes to cope with long periods of high speed loads and temperatures.

somtimes you can get the tuner to put street and track tune setting on some of the 4 modes available in an ecutek tune
Old 05-19-2016, 07:26 PM   #182
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morswestford View Post
Does the moto-east flex fuel kit have a flex fuel tune? The website was devoid of information about that.

I reviewed the delicious tuning flex fuel kit, and their kit includes a flex fuel tune. So I was wondering about the differences between the delicious kit and the moto-east kit.

Certainly having a tune that changes automatically based on the ethanol content in the system seems to be pretty important to have.
Moto east flex kit come with tune included as well i believe.

with both kits you will still need ecutek ecu flash licience and if you cannot get to ecutek tuner you will also need a ecutek cable kit to flash the tune.

The main difference between the mot east kit and the delicious kit is ethanol display. mot east has separate display, but the delicious kit just has a Bluetooth module and you need to use a phone tablet or an android head unit and their app to display the E% in car. The dispaly is not essential just for info and peace of mind that sensor is working, their is a separate connection to ecu via the rear 02 sensor or the evap sensor so the ecu knows the e% .
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Xero-Limit (05-19-2016)

Closed Thread

Tags
e85, ethanol, flex fuel