follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2015, 11:16 AM   #43
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas83 View Post
The oil port threads are not 3/4-16 sae....
I just recived some expensive hose ends in 3/4-16, they are to small...
Borrowed a set of thread gauges, 14tpi was the result.
A bsp fitting wont thread in, but a 1/2" npt fitting does...

Kind of pissed right now, after verifying with skunk2 what threads the ports have.
Ordering expensive fittings and they wont fit...
How do they not know what they are selling?..
Old 04-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #44
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k View Post
How do they not know what they are selling?..
They probably didn't make the radiator, just re-branded it. No excuse, they should know. In any case, if we can figure the details out, or if @fteightysix can put together a kit, this radiator could be the best way to upgrade a rad and add a cooler to the car.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #45
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
They probably didn't make the radiator, just re-branded it. No excuse, they should know. In any case, if we can figure the details out, or if @fteightysix can put together a kit, this radiator could be the best way to upgrade a rad and add a cooler to the car.
Just because they didn't make it doesn't mean they shouldn't know what they're selling. I didn't expect SKunk2 to make the rad in-house. It seems rare to find anyone in this industry still making anything in the USA.
DAEMANO (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #46
Andreas83

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I will take some pictures of my install later.
There are also som other issues.
Stock fans wont fit, i have a couple of spal fans for another project that i will use.
I will have to fabricate a shroud to mount them with.
The radiator is very thick, and some of the added thickness relocates the fans further in to the engine bay.

At the moment I am tempted to use a holesaw on the headlight bracket.
Use a straight 1/2"npt to an10 fitting and use a 90deg an10 hose end to hook it up.
I just have to check that it wont come in conflict with the intercooler piping.
Andreas83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #47
86SPEED

Drives: The silvertrooper 10 series
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
I will take some pictures of my install later.
There are also som other issues.
Stock fans wont fit, i have a couple of spal fans for another project that i will use.
I will have to fabricate a shroud to mount them with.
The radiator is very thick, and some of the added thickness relocates the fans further in to the engine bay.

At the moment I am tempted to use a holesaw on the headlight bracket.
Use a straight 1/2"npt to an10 fitting and use a 90deg an10 hose end to hook it up.
I just have to check that it wont come in conflict with the intercooler piping.
Not sure why your stock fans dont fit, but we had no problem using the stock fans with the C38 KW kit. I had to trim off the top piece above the fan motor on the shroud, but that is it. otherwise the fan shroud fit fine. you will need some short bolts and i used some over sized washers to bolt the fan to the radiator, but i had no issues other then those. If i was running the C30 i dont think the shroud wouldve had to been trimmed, but cant promise that.

-Thomas

Also we are just waiting for the customer to run down to get the fittings and lines installed. When he does im going to see if they can make up 5 kits. Ill probably have 3 regular fittings and high pressure oil lines, then 2 made with the fancy nice fittings and ss braided oil lines for those willing to pay the little extra.
86SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86SPEED For This Useful Post:
Calum (04-07-2015), DAEMANO (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 06:26 PM   #48
Andreas83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fteightysix View Post
Not sure why your stock fans dont fit, but we had no problem using the stock fans with the C38 KW kit. I had to trim off the top piece above the fan motor on the shroud, but that is it. otherwise the fan shroud fit fine. you will need some short bolts and i used some over sized washers to bolt the fan to the radiator, but i had no issues other then those. If i was running the C30 i dont think the shroud wouldve had to been trimmed, but cant promise that.

-Thomas

Also we are just waiting for the customer to run down to get the fittings and lines installed. When he does im going to see if they can make up 5 kits. Ill probably have 3 regular fittings and high pressure oil lines, then 2 made with the fancy nice fittings and ss braided oil lines for those willing to pay the little extra.
I have to admit that I did not spend more then a minute test fitting the stock fans.
I will give it another try tomorrow. I was sort of pissed due to the fittings that did not fit at all.
The issue I had was that the brace bar with the support that bolts on top of the radiator did not fit.
The support that goes down in the center behind the fans was in conflict with the stock fan shroud.
What top radiator mounts did you use? The stock ones? Custom?
It might work if i can move the radiator forward a little bit.
Did you take any pictures of the install?
Tomorrow I will bring with me the kraftwerks intercooler, intake tube and supercharger oil cooler and give it another try with all the parts that need to be installed.
I will also try and remember to bring my camera.

I am sure that I will get the radiator installed, but its not a straight forward bolt on part.
The fact that the company making them dont know thread dimensions on their own product does not make it any easier...
I really want this to work, I have had good experiences using liquid/liquid oil coolers before.

I live in Norway, the winters can be really cold over here.
My past experiences with air cooled oil coolers is overcooling oil when it is cold.
Even with a thermostatic sandwich plate, they normally let some oil flow trough the oil cooler to avoid freezing cold oil in the oil cooler suddenly flowing to the motor.
The liquid/liquid oil coolers heats up the oil and keeps it stable or just above coolant temp.
I used a mocal laminova oilcooler on my brz until I spun a rod bearing.
It worked ok, but I dont think it would work as well with the extra hp I am getting with the supercharger kit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andreas83 For This Useful Post:
Calum (04-07-2015), DAN_BRZ (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #49
DAN_BRZ

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
I have to admit that I did not spend more then a minute test fitting the stock fans.
I will give it another try tomorrow. I was sort of pissed due to the fittings that did not fit at all.
The issue I had was that the brace bar with the support that bolts on top of the radiator did not fit.
The support that goes down in the center behind the fans was in conflict with the stock fan shroud.
It might work if i can move the radiator forward a little bit.
Did you take any pictures of the install?
Tomorrow I will bring with me the kraftwerks intercooler, intake tube and supercharger oil cooler and give it another try with all the parts that need to be installed.
I will also try and remember to bring my camera.

I am sure that I will get the radiator installed, but its not a straight forward bolt on part.
The fact that the company making them dont know thread dimensions on their own product does not make it any easier...
I really want this to work, I have had good experiences using liquid/liquid oil coolers before.

I live in Norway, the winters can be really cold over here.
My past experiences with air cooled oil coolers is overcooling oil when it is cold.
Even with a thermostatic sandwich plate, they normally let some oil flow trough the oil cooler to avoid freezing cold oil in the oil cooler suddenly flowing to the motor.
The liquid/liquid oil coolers heats up the oil and keeps it stable or just above coolant temp.
I used a mocal laminova oilcooler on my brz until I spun a rod bearing.
It worked ok, but I dont think it would work as well with the extra hp I am getting with the supercharger kit.
Im installing this rad on Friday and already bought the fitting that skunk2 told me I needed. I'm a bit cheesed. Will have to exchange them. Would of been a hell of a lot more pissed off if I was in the middle of the install! I'll post any issues I run into on Friday here. Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a huge pain in the ass.
DAN_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #50
DAN_BRZ

Can u post picture please? Of Ur fitment issues and the upper port fitting u used so I can have a lookie! Thanks!!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #51
Andreas83

The challenge is the upper oil port.

The gap between the oil port and chassie is 1-1/2" to 2" Will measure it tomorrow.
And one of the hardlines to ac condensator is really close.
I am not even sure the hose end I ordered would have fitted without modifying the chassie.
I have a plan, drill a hole trough the chassie headlight bracket with a hole saw.
Use a straight 1/2" npt to an10 fitting on the upper port.
Then use a 90 deg hose end to direct it back against the engine bay.
It wont touch the headlight, but it will weaken the area where the headlight is bolted on to the car.
I am bringing with me the intercooler, intake pipe and supercharger oil cooler tomorrow.
I also need to make sure that the IC piping clears.
There is no way I am drilling that hole before I have double checked everything.
If I am really lucky I can borrow some steel fittings and hose ends from a local shop for testing.

Check if the fittings you have are correct.
They might have welded the wrong ones on mine and not yours. Who knows...

I will also try to remember my camera tomorrow.
After all the help this forum given me, its the least I can do.

2013 BRZ, kraftwerks supercharged.
Skunk2 Ultra radiator with oilcooler
KW v3 - enkei 17x9 with PSS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andreas83 For This Useful Post:
Calum (04-07-2015), Rosticles (09-09-2016)
Old 04-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #52
86SPEED

Drives: The silvertrooper 10 series
Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quote:
For my install i had to slightly bend the brace, then notch the bolt holes. I also had to trim the top of the brace for the intake so that the hood would close flush. This radiator is HUGE.. way oversized for our car, Im unsure if it was marketed as a direct bolt in, I personally didnt have any issues doing the slight modifications needed.. BUT if someone bought this expecting a complete unbolt the old and bolt in the new, i can see why they could be upset. I did use the OEM upper mounts though.
86SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86SPEED For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-10-2015), Strife26 (09-08-2018)
Old 04-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #53
Andreas83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fteightysix View Post
For my install i had to slightly bend the brace, then notch the bolt holes. I also had to trim the top of the brace for the intake so that the hood would close flush. This radiator is HUGE.. way oversized for our car, Im unsure if it was marketed as a direct bolt in, I personally didnt have any issues doing the slight modifications needed.. BUT if someone bought this expecting a complete unbolt the old and bolt in the new, i can see why they could be upset. I did use the OEM upper mounts though.
Thanks for the info.
I did not expect it would just drop in by itself.
Bolt on parts usually dont bolt straight on when there are many other mods...
I had a koyo radiator installed before with a mocal laminova oil cooler.
What sandwich adapter are u using?
I have a mocal non thermostatic that I hope will fit.

I am in no rush, I haven't fully rebuilt my motor yet, waiting on some gaskets that was not included in the complete motor gasket kit...
Clutch is on backorder from ACT
Motor mounts and reimax oil pump gears on the way from japan.
+ I am pretty sure that I have forgotten something...
I know that the supporting mods are not needed, but the motor is in the stand now.
Easier to install parts now..

The Following User Says Thank You to Andreas83 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-10-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #54
DAN_BRZ

i plan on using this style fitting for the upper port. @Andreas83 any thoughts on this? i have yet to test fit my rad. will be doing so friday
JDL UEL PERRIN EXHAUST 2.5" OP 3" CATTED F 3" CATBACK - PERRIN MOUNTS PERRIN PULLEY KIT WHITELINE BUSHINGS WILDWOOD BBK ACT CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL KW V3 MTEC KARTBOY SS SEIBON ROOF SPOILER & FRONT LIP 57XTREME 18x9.5 +40 W/ 255/55/R18 MICHELIN PSS
The Following User Says Thank You to DAN_BRZ For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-10-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 11:59 PM   #55
DAN_BRZ

Starting install tomorrow night of my c38 kit and ultra rad. I'll take as many pics as possible. I also email kraftwerks for additional guidance. This rad is a very nice quality piece. Very solid.
JDL UEL PERRIN EXHAUST 2.5" OP 3" CATTED F 3" CATBACK - PERRIN MOUNTS PERRIN PULLEY KIT WHITELINE BUSHINGS WILDWOOD BBK ACT CLUTCH & FLYWHEEL KW V3 MTEC KARTBOY SS SEIBON ROOF SPOILER & FRONT LIP 57XTREME 18x9.5 +40 W/ 255/55/R18 MICHELIN PSS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAN_BRZ For This Useful Post:
Andreas83 (04-10-2015), DAEMANO (04-10-2015)
Old 04-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #56
Andreas83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN_BRZ View Post
Starting install tomorrow night of my c38 kit and ultra rad. I'll take as many pics as possible. I also email kraftwerks for additional guidance. This rad is a very nice quality piece. Very solid.
Good luck, I am still struggling on my install.
There is 1-1/16" clearance between the upper oil port and the chassis.

Modified stock fan shroud to sit as close as possible to the radiator.
The brace that runs down behind the radiator still wont bolt on without forcing it.
I am building a shroud for 2 spal fans that I already have.
The stock shroud would fit if the brace had been lightly notched.

AC condensator hits intercooler.
I solved this by moving the AC condenser a couple of cm to the left.
(Right if you are looking at it from the front of the car.)

The supercharger oil cooler also hits the intercooler.
I flipped the oil cooler around the other way on the mounts, moving it much closer to the AC condenser.
The issue now is that it hits the AC condenser instead of the intercooler.
I am making a mount on top of the oil cooler to avoid it touching the AC condenser.
I did not take any pictures of this...

The Following User Says Thank You to Andreas83 For This Useful Post:
DAN_BRZ (04-10-2015)