follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 07-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #15
Ephyzul

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
tirerack.com, they'll sell you wheels that fit, easy to filter and 'view on car'
You can even order them with tires installed on your doorstep so you don't have to mess with ordering a set and going to a shop and all that

make sure you disassemble your brakes to paint them, plenty of generic DIY's

go to an autocross or track day, best money you'll ever spend on the car
Thank you, the view on car feature will be nice so I can see them together. I’ll check it out and maybe opt out of the tire and wheel combo and see how much labor/swapping rims will cost.

Nice, I figured looking up DIY in youtube will work, but I just want to be safe in case you guys had some important warnings.

Yea that’s what everyone tells me, that the 86’s true beauty can be found at a racetrack. Besides slightly speeding, when traffic allows, on the freeway, I’m not really the racing type, but I just might have to experience driving on a racetrack!
Ephyzul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:56 PM   #16
Thunder86

Drives: 2018 Toyota 86 GT trim (Thunder)
Best rims for Halo 86? Simple.

Enkei RS05RR in “matte dark gunmetallic” in 18” (with at least a 1” drop).

Example: https://www.fitmentindustries.com/wh...wering-springs

Or... whatever you like most. The TRD wheels look similar and are forged (if I recall correctly) and are cheaper, which are some nice benefits if you go that route.
Nevermore (07-24-2019), StraightOuttaCanadaEh (07-25-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 06:15 PM   #17
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
I agree with Thunder buddy there..

I do think the RS05RR looks a bit sleeker, but they are a plus size which I think hurts the daily drive ability if you live on earth where we all have crap roads and kind of an aggressive fit on stock shocks (though supposedly people don't have problems with them). Sure people will agree till they pop a tire that running on tiny sliver sidewalls has never caused anyone any problems, but I find any car I've ever run a sidewall smaller than on these 17s end up in trouble.

I got the 17" matte grey forged TRDs on sales for 40% off.. on that one day 40 year anniversary sale they had. Too hard to pass up. Don't regret it for a second, they look very appropriate on the car almost as if they were designed just for it... hmmm... You'll save a lot of money in addition to the wheel price as you don't have to get new tires and they are actual forged wheels (not 'flow' forged like the enkeis).
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #18
Ephyzul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder86 View Post
Best rims for Halo 86? Simple.

Enkei RS05RR in “matte dark gunmetallic” in 18” (with at least a 1” drop).

Example: https://www.fitmentindustries.com/wh...wering-springs

Or... whatever you like most. The TRD wheels look similar and are forged (if I recall correctly) and are cheaper, which are some nice benefits if you go that route.
I gotta agree, those wheels look beautiful with the Halo. There is quite the price difference, especially once you multiply it by 4 to purchase a set, but I can see why you went with those wheels. I gotta keep this one in mind, it definitely fits my ideal set of wheels for my 86.

Thank you for the recommendation.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:58 PM   #19
Ephyzul

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
I agree with Thunder buddy there..

I do think the RS05RR looks a bit sleeker, but they are a plus size which I think hurts the daily drive ability if you live on earth where we all have crap roads and kind of an aggressive fit on stock shocks (though supposedly people don't have problems with them). Sure people will agree till they pop a tire that running on tiny sliver sidewalls has never caused anyone any problems, but I find any car I've ever run a sidewall smaller than on these 17s end up in trouble.
I'm not too familiar with what impacts getting an 18" vs 17" can have, would you mind going into some more detail? Also, does a 1" difference make the car that much bumpier/rocky (I'm assuming that's what you meant by saying it hurts the daily driving)?

Quote:
I got the 17" matte grey forged TRDs on sales for 40% off.. on that one day 40 year anniversary sale they had. Too hard to pass up. Don't regret it for a second, they look very appropriate on the car almost as if they were designed just for it... hmmm... You'll save a lot of money in addition to the wheel price as you don't have to get new tires and they are actual forged wheels (not 'flow' forged like the enkeis).
Yea, every time I drive by a dealership or see the 17" TRDs on an 86, I always end up staring at it because it just compliments the car so beautifully. I would probably also purchase them in a heartbeat if they were 40% off at this very moment, lucky you.

Do you know if they ever go on sale besides that one-day 40-year anniversary event? I know cars go on sale or they offer discounts, but I've never shopped around for accessories from the dealership. Do they ever offer some kind of deal if you purchase an accessory by itself, not adding it onto a car during the car purchase?

Thank you.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #20
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Here, have a look. I did this purposely so anyone that had any questions about fitment on a stock car could see it. 720 form GTF1 17x8 +35.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...5&postcount=60
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (07-24-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 07:33 PM   #21
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Well, my quote isn't working right now, but I agree with Thunder. I can say those Enkei's are probably my favorite multi-spoke wheels.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:35 PM   #22
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephyzul View Post
I'm not too familiar with what impacts getting an 18" vs 17" can have, would you mind going into some more detail? Also, does a 1" difference make the car that much bumpier/rocky (I'm assuming that's what you meant by saying it hurts the daily driving)?

Yea, every time I drive by a dealership or see the 17" TRDs on an 86, I always end up staring at it because it just compliments the car so beautifully. I would probably also purchase them in a heartbeat if they were 40% off at this very moment, lucky you.

Do you know if they ever go on sale besides that one-day 40-year anniversary event? I know cars go on sale or they offer discounts, but I've never shopped around for accessories from the dealership. Do they ever offer some kind of deal if you purchase an accessory by itself, not adding it onto a car during the car purchase?

Thank you.

The TRD stuff doesn't normally get heavily discounted, that 40% off sale was the most amazing thing ever. I have got a number of discounts though otherwise. I've seen some dealers offer as high as 10% advertised discount and had a sales person at a dealership that I did not buy my car from give me their employee discount on the TRD springs and sway bars and installation that ended up saving me a ton. The other plus of TRD is that it's covered by warranty and won't cause any issues with your existing one. Not that wheels or springs or sway bars usually cause issue, but peace off mind.

By daily drive ability on 18s, I am referring both to the ride quality and to the likelihood of having tire/rim damage or running into fitment or scraping issues. The tires are a part of your suspension, so you are making it stiffer with less sidewall, but you also then have a lot less cushion between your wheel and the road/pothole/curb/whatever else you might bump into. The odds of you rushing off to work and not going 5mph over the pothole that suddenly got worse and popping a tire and cracking a rim are higher. I think with the stock wheel/tire setup this really isn't a concern at all, but when you jump up to 18s or 19s and the require razor thin sidewalls it starts to become a real risk. This is also where a forged wheel gives advantage as it less susceptible to damage and will bend rather than crack as a cast or 'flow' forge will. Basically, if you get the 18s, you will always have to be watching out and careful where you are going and there's that good chance one day you won't be paying attention and wam. It's not the end of the world and I've had cars like that plenty in the past, just with the 17 forged you can be pretty carefree. Also, those particular 18s are fairly wide and have minimal clearance on the shocks. They do clear from what I've heard, but you may find that certain tires won't fit or you may scrape something under some extreme condition. If my car was a garage or show queen, I'd have no issue with the 18s, but personally I drive 20k miles a year and just don't want to worry about it.

disclaimer: none of this is major and if you really like the look of 18s I'm not in any way saying they are a bad choice, these are just the potential negatives
Old 07-24-2019, 08:02 PM   #23
Thunder86

Drives: 2018 Toyota 86 GT trim (Thunder)
I put on TRD lowering springs and mounted my 18" Work wheels a month after purchasing my vehicle (owned the car about a year and a half now).

My wheels are 18x8.5 with 245/35/18 tires (absolutely ZERO rubbing). I have driven the car basically everyday since ownership and have been from San Diego county to Sonoma county multiple times.

I have bumped into curbs a few times parallel parking, and because my fat tires, have 0 damage to the wheels. I've also hit a handful of pot holes.

My setup is very comfortable for a "sports car" and as a daily driver through some shitty streets.

HOWEVER, if you run wide ass wheels with tires that don't fit properly (i.e. "stretched") and slam your car to the ground, the ride quality will obviously be garbage.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:20 PM   #24
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder86 View Post
I put on TRD lowering springs and mounted my 18" Work wheels a month after purchasing my vehicle (owned the car about a year and a half now).

My wheels are 18x8.5 with 245/35/18 tires (absolutely ZERO rubbing). I have driven the car basically everyday since ownership and have been from San Diego county to Sonoma county multiple times.

I have bumped into curbs a few times parallel parking, and because my fat tires, have 0 damage to the wheels. I've also hit a handful of pot holes.

My setup is very comfortable for a "sports car" and as a daily driver through some shitty streets.

HOWEVER, if you run wide ass wheels with tires that don't fit properly (i.e. "stretched") and slam your car to the ground, the ride quality will obviously be garbage.

Give it time My first wheel I cracked was a 40 sidewall on a 17 on a civic in the late 90s. I had those wheels on there 3 or 4 years in atlanta without a problem, then one day I hit one of those little reflector lights in the road at the wrong speed/angle or something and it blew out my tire and cracked the wheel. In 2005, I had a bmw z4 that came new with 18s and 40 sidewalls in new york city.... I replaced a tire or wheel about once a month. I'm in socal now as you and the op are and I'd say the roads are worse than atlanta, but definitely better than nyc. At the macy's parking lot down the street from me, I see someone pop a low profile tire on the curb by the entrance about once a month or so. They always come in fast and cut too close where the curb starts to slope up and bang - i'll see the curb push up right through the tire into the wheel. Totally get if that's a risk worth taking for many people, but I've had my fill. This risk aversion coming from a guy who has crashed a motorcycle off a cliff and still tracks a liter bike Nothing pisses me off more than mild inconveniences.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:00 PM   #25
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephyzul View Post
Hello everybody,

Any ideas, recommendations, word of advice, suggestions, or opinions are welcome!

Thank you!
Welcome to our forum -

Yep, wheels, like ol @Tcoat said in post #2, just pick something you like.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the wheels that came with the car.

As far as painting brake calipers, why draw the eye to a brake part -

But, hey, I ain't no fun! -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:19 PM   #26
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Welcome to our forum -

Yep, wheels, like ol @Tcoat said in post #2, just pick something you like.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the wheels that came with the car.

As far as painting brake calipers, why draw the eye to a brake part -

But, hey, I ain't no fun! -

humfrz
Stock wheels are ugly, and better he paint his calipers than buy a BBK just for the looks.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:25 AM   #27
Ephyzul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Here, have a look. I did this purposely so anyone that had any questions about fitment on a stock car could see it. 720 form GTF1 17x8 +35.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...5&postcount=60
Wow that looks awesome, thank you. I'll keep this one on file too.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:32 AM   #28
Ephyzul

Quote:
The TRD stuff doesn't normally get heavily discounted, that 40% off sale was the most amazing thing ever. I have got a number of discounts though otherwise. I've seen some dealers offer as high as 10% advertised discount and had a sales person at a dealership that I did not buy my car from give me their employee discount on the TRD springs and sway bars and installation that ended up saving me a ton. The other plus of TRD is that it's covered by warranty and won't cause any issues with your existing one. Not that wheels or springs or sway bars usually cause issue, but peace off mind.
I am jealous you got 40% off, that's a ridiculous discount. I wonder if they'll ever do something that crazy again. Either way, congrats on the purchase, I would not regret that either.

Quote:
By daily drive ability on 18s, I am referring both to the ride quality and to the likelihood of having tire/rim damage or running into fitment or scraping issues. The tires are a part of your suspension, so you are making it stiffer with less sidewall, but you also then have a lot less cushion between your wheel and the road/pothole/curb/whatever else you might bump into. The odds of you rushing off to work and not going 5mph over the pothole that suddenly got worse and popping a tire and cracking a rim are higher. I think with the stock wheel/tire setup this really isn't a concern at all, but when you jump up to 18s or 19s and the require razor thin sidewalls it starts to become a real risk. This is also where a forged wheel gives advantage as it less susceptible to damage and will bend rather than crack as a cast or 'flow' forge will. Basically, if you get the 18s, you will always have to be watching out and careful where you are going and there's that good chance one day you won't be paying attention and wam. It's not the end of the world and I've had cars like that plenty in the past, just with the 17 forged you can be pretty carefree. Also, those particular 18s are fairly wide and have minimal clearance on the shocks. They do clear from what I've heard, but you may find that certain tires won't fit or you may scrape something under some extreme condition. If my car was a garage or show queen, I'd have no issue with the 18s, but personally I drive 20k miles a year and just don't want to worry about it.

disclaimer: none of this is major and if you really like the look of 18s I'm not in any way saying they are a bad choice, these are just the potential negatives
Thank you for going into detail for me. This definitely gives me an idea of what I should consider when it comes to getting a size or two up. I don't have much car experience when it comes to mods so this will be a great lesson to be told instead of learning it the hard way. To be honest I prefer the 17", I've seen a number of 18" and some 19" and they just look a little too big for me. 18" might pass but depending on the design, sometimes they don't fit very well with the 86's design and shape.

I drive 10 - 12K a year so I'll lean towards the cautious side when it comes to my car. I also just don't want to deal with any damages, repairs, or causing unnecessary/avoidable issues.

Thanks again, I'll definitely refer back to this when I finally decide on the size of my wheels.