follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2019, 09:45 AM   #43
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
IMO it's not whether or not anything was damaged.. it's that the owner of a detailing shop did this at all. It's just inappropriate to do that to someone's car regardless of whether or not anything was damaged in the process. It was a completely unnecessary act.
I have not once said it was OK to do, to ignore it, or not to deal with it. It is the extremes that people are saying are appropriate that I have objected to. The reactions are like it is the worst offence committed by mankind. It isn't and if this is the worst thing people have ever had happen to them I want to live their lives!
soundman98 (12-13-2019), why? (12-20-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 10:25 AM   #44
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I have not once said it was OK to do, to ignore it, or not to deal with it. It is the extremes that people are saying are appropriate that I have objected to. The reactions are like it is the worst offence committed by mankind. It isn't and if this is the worst thing people have ever had happen to them I want to live their lives!
What extremes? The most that I can remember seeing was "Leave a negative review."

That's not extreme. That's standard. Would I talk to the shop first, yes, but that conversation wouldn't have any effect on the fact that a negative review should be left regardless. What happened did happen and nothing the owner says will change history. That conversation would only change some of the content of the negative review (ie documenting the owner's response).

I didn't see anyone posting with a suggestion that everyone in this thread should write bad reviews, or call the shop and yell, or any other extreme and just as inappropriate behavior.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-22-2019), extrashaky (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #45
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have not once said it was OK to do, to ignore it, or not to deal with it.
Okay, so how would you "deal with it"?

Quote:
It is the extremes that people are saying are appropriate that I have objected to.
What extremes?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #46
Tcoat

Quote:
What extremes? The most that I can remember seeing was "Leave a negative review."

That's not extreme. That's standard. Would I talk to the shop first, yes, but that conversation wouldn't have any effect on the fact that a negative review should be left regardless. What happened did happen and nothing the owner says will change history. That conversation would only change some of the content of the negative review (ie documenting the owner's response).

I didn't see anyone posting with a suggestion that everyone in this thread should write bad reviews, or call the shop and yell, or any other extreme and just as inappropriate behavior.
Demanding full refunds for the work and jumping onto bad reviews without at least speaking to the owner are extreme in my eye. At very least give the guy a heads up that you are writing the review. No it will not change what happened and yo will still be pissed but his reaction could very well change what you say about him. Everybody keeps ranting about "respect" so even a guy that screwed up should be shown the same by speaking to them and not making demands for free work based upon an incident that was not part of that work.
Quentin (12-13-2019), soundman98 (12-13-2019), why? (12-20-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #47
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Okay, so how would you "deal with it"?

What extremes?
I would go by and speak to the owner in person and show the video. What I did from there would be based upon their reaction. It could range from nothing to a scathing review. I would not start out with the scathing review and work backwards as so many want to do and I sure as hell would not be looking for free work or compensation for a job not related to the incident.
My reactions are based on the fact that there is virtually zero chance of any damage being done by two revs on a car that had been running for 10+ minutes.
My statements of extreme were based upon the over reaction to the mechanical nature of the complaint not the whole philosophical "respect" debate.
why? (12-20-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #48
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
I would go by and speak to the owner in person and show the video. What I did from there would be based upon their reaction.
Huh. Weirdly familiar.

Quote:
I would probably contact the owner of the shop, show him the video and inquire 1) why they left your car idling in the first place and 2) why they felt the need to rev your motor. I would then gauge his response to decide whether to write this entire thing up in reviews on Google, Facebook and any place else I could find to review his shop.
But then, this changes the equation slightly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayer_86 View Post
Unfortunately it was the actual owner of the shop.
So Tcoat, if you already knew it was the owner who disrespected you, what would you say to him when you confronted him about it? What would you hope to accomplish? What could he say at that point that would change your intention with regard to a review?

Quote:
My statements of extreme were based upon the over reaction to the mechanical nature of the complaint not the whole philosophical "respect" debate.
Where do you see anybody overreacting to mechanical damage? You're actually the one who first brought that up:

Quote:
I doubt it did any damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
While far from ideal, I really doubt bouncing off the rev limiter a couple of times would harm the engine, especially without load.
Quote:
"Turbo all cars"
"MORE POWER"
"Tune, header E85 rocks"
"Wider wheels are bestest"
"Redline every shift"
Drive it like it is meant to be driven"
"OH MY GOD they idled and revved it? CRUCIFY THEM!!!!"

For crying out loud people it is just a car. A few minutes idling and a couple of revs isn't going to hurt it. Some of these responses are just plain stupid.
Were those responses in your imagination?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-22-2019), Jordanwolf (12-20-2019), Will BRZ (12-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 12:15 PM   #49
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Demanding full refunds for the work and jumping onto bad reviews without at least speaking to the owner are extreme in my eye. At very least give the guy a heads up that you are writing the review. No it will not change what happened and yo will still be pissed but his reaction could very well change what you say about him. Everybody keeps ranting about "respect" so even a guy that screwed up should be shown the same by speaking to them and not making demands for free work based upon an incident that was not part of that work.
Not everyone likes confrontation. And you don't actually owe someone respect when they disrespected you. High road and all that but it's not required and shouldn't be expected. It's certainly not extreme to not have respect for the shop owner in this case.

Personally I'd want to talk to the shop owner to let them know my feelings on it. I wouldn't ask for (nor accept) anything from them.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (12-22-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 04:56 PM   #50
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Any update OP? Curious to know what route you went. I think Wes hit the nail right on the head. Show them the video and just go from there. Asking for a refund is stupid as hell. You paid for a job to be done, it was done and that's that. The revving is a separate issue. No it didn't do any damage. 10 minutes is plenty for some revs. People start their cars and drive off without letting it warmup at all every single day. That will do damage over time, but not immediately. Shoot people who post exhaust clips on YouTube redline it a minute after the initial cold start. If you were an athlete and did a couple sprints without a proper warmup, would your legs fall off? No. Anyways, sounds like it's a constant issue if you heard them revving other cars in the background. Are there any review or comments about that? What makes it worse is that it's the owner. He won't fire himself lol but if you feel like it really bothers you, speak up and let him know. Don't go in all hostile. Gather yourself and handle it calmly. It shouldn't be a pride thing or whatever, but it is a matter of respecting others people's property.
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:15 AM   #51
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayer_86 View Post
Hello,

After that the shop guys smacked the rev limiter while parked a couple times.

Thanks
OK, I'll weigh in.

What would I do about that?

Nothing.

Life is too damn short to worry about shit like that.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (12-20-2019), Quentin (12-13-2019), soundman98 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 06:18 PM   #52
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Car is fine.

Shop owner probably illustrated a lack of respect for other people’s property. If it were me I would have called him directly and asked him to explain his need to do this. If he didn't have a good reason I ask for an apology and let him know he lost any future business from me and then get on my life. Your time is more valuable than anything there is to be gained here.

But...

Car is fine.
why? (12-20-2019)
Old 12-19-2019, 08:38 PM   #53
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,049 Times in 8,324 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
If you were an athlete and did a couple sprints without a proper warmup, would your legs fall off? No.
One correction, your leg might not fall off, but you can tear some muscles. I've pulled my hamstrings without doing warmup and played soccer. I was on cane for 6 weeks.

Back on topic. OP, like humfrz, rice_classic & other have stated. Life is too damn short to worry about shit like that. Get an apology from the shop and never go back there. Give em shitty review and move on.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:21 AM   #54
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
I'd be more intersted in getting the clowns who did that fired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i'd contact them for a full refund. don't bother threatening about the reviews. pending the situation of the refund, i'd leave a review for them. if full refund, they get 5 stars note your ceramic coating was free because they love to cold-rev motors. if no/little refund, same note just different star rating.
Did some of you not read the first page? Both of these reactions are asinine. And are exactly what is being made fun of. Owner hit redline 2 times. God imagine if this was the reaction every time this happened, the 50's and 60's wouldn't have ever had a car culture.

Quote:
IMO it's not whether or not anything was damaged.. it's that the owner of a detailing shop did this at all. It's just inappropriate to do that to someone's car regardless of whether or not anything was damaged in the process. It was a completely unnecessary act.
And it has been probably done by thousands if not millions of people in the auto aftermarket industry on any car they think is cool.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #55
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,437 Times in 961 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Are we still kicking this around? I know my views are not those of the "popular kids" but geezus H CHRISTopher, come on now. It's about respecting the customer's vehicle.
Yes, modern engines are very well designed and all come with rev limiters set well below the theoretical max r.p.m.s BUT... excrement doth occur! Just ask anyone who's FA20 had to be rebuilt due to the "valve issue."
As to whether the OP's car suffered any damage may I quote Philip Seymour Hoffman's character from the movie "Charlie Wilson's War" and just say "We'll see!"
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #56
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
BURN THE SHOP

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Hoahao (12-20-2019), soundman98 (12-20-2019), why? (12-22-2019)