follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
ZoomZoom1

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New Key Fob Pairing

Does anyone know if its possible to DIY pairing a new key fob to your Scion FRS. I would rather not pay a dealership to do this.

I did just perches the Carista OBD2 to turn off the passenger side airbag warning bell for when i place items in the seat and it thinks there is some one sitting there.

I was wondering if it also has any features for pairing new key fobs?

Anyone ever try and DIY this? I have an OEM Scion key fob from the dealership, i purchased the FRS used. But the cheap #### didn't have the fob programmed.

Thanks

Last edited by ZoomZoom1; 04-30-2019 at 01:15 PM.
ZoomZoom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125285

Not so simple
Old 04-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
If you are buying a genuine OEM key from Toyota the process is easy. You buy an $18 cable on Amazon and pair the remote and transponder with Techstream. The OEM key is expensive though. You can also buy non-OEM keys for cheap and programing the remote is easy but the transponders on these non-OEM keys are not compatible with our car even if the product description claims they are. Our car uses a Toyota remote but the immobilizer system is made by Subaru. It isn't the standard Toyota G transponder.

Some other things to know about pairing transponders is you need a master key to program another master or valet. If you have lost all your keys you have to deal with the dealer. If you have a master you can buy a valet for $60 and program that and then put your master in a safe place where it will not get lost.

So here is a cheap option. Buy a non-OEM keyfob simply to get a remote and blade. Then order a $60 OEM valet. Then you pair the non-OEM remote, cut the key, pair the OEM valet and then cut the valet key open and remove the chip and then place the chip in your non-OEM key fob. So now you have working key that will unlock the doors and start the car for around $100.

Another option which I think would work would be to buy just the front cover of the OEM master key. It sells for about $60. The chip is pressed into the front cover and I'm fairly sure if you order a front cover it will include the chip. So then you would buy a cheap non-OEM key to get the blade and remote but use the chip from the OEM front cover.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
ZoomZoom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I just found this on google. Sounds line a snip hunt? Im gona give it a try.

https://itstillruns.com/program-scio...s-7524627.html
Old 04-30-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom1 View Post
I just found this on google. Sounds line a snip hunt? Im gona give it a try.

https://itstillruns.com/program-scio...s-7524627.html
Ahh but that is the trick. It isn't a Scion system.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
ZoomZoom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
If you are buying a genuine OEM key from Toyota the process is easy. You buy an $18 cable on Amazon and pair the remote and transponder with Techstream. The OEM key is expensive though. You can also buy non-OEM keys for cheap and programing the remote is easy but the transponders on these non-OEM keys are not compatible with our car even if the product description claims they are. Our car uses a Toyota remote but the immobilizer system is made by Subaru. It isn't the standard Toyota G transponder.

Some other things to know about pairing transponders is you need a master key to program another master or valet. If you have lost all your keys you have to deal with the dealer. If you have a master you can buy a valet for $60 and program that and then put your master in a safe place where it will not get lost.

So here is a cheap option. Buy a non-OEM keyfob simply to get a remote and blade. Then order a $60 OEM valet. Then you pair the non-OEM remote, cut the key, pair the OEM valet and then cut the valet key open and remove the chip and then place the chip in your non-OEM key fob. So now you have working key that will unlock the doors and start the car for around $100.

Another option which I think would work would be to buy just the front cover of the OEM master key. It sells for about $60. The chip is pressed into the front cover and I'm fairly sure if you order a front cover it will include the chip. So then you would buy a cheap non-OEM key to get the blade and remote but use the chip from the OEM front cover.
I have an oem key i just need to pair it with the car. What cable do i need off of amazon?
The Following User Says Thank You to ZoomZoom1 For This Useful Post:
ermax (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 01:51 PM   #7
ZoomZoom1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Ahh but that is the trick. It isn't a Scion system.
Well it didn't work and i just felt stupid trying it. Ill see if there is a suburb version of this to try.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
Tcoat

Quote:
Well it didn't work and i just felt stupid trying it. Ill see if there is a suburb version of this to try.
There are about 50 threads on this subject here. Nobody has found an "easy" way to do it. As Ermax says in the post above it is the transponder that is the issue.
Think about it. If the transponder was as easy to program as opening a door and turning a key a certain number of times it would suck as a security device. There are no shortcuts to get around proper programing.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
ermax

As long as it’s an OEM transponder you run Techstream and select the option to pair a transponder. It asks you to insert your original master key. Then click next and then insert your new key. It sits for a bit and then says it’s done. The key is to not bother with 3rd party transponders. They are all Toyota G chips which isn’t what we need on our unique car.
Old 04-30-2019, 02:29 PM   #10
ermax

Quote:
I have an oem key i just need to pair it with the car. What cable do i need off of amazon?

Just search for Techstream. There are tons of them.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:30 AM   #11
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I had a locksmith come to my house and sell me a new (aftermarket) key and copy my existing key for about $200. Dealers were quoting 450-600 around here which is a joke.

The aftermarket key works fine except for the trunk release button the key (i dont care). This is a push button start model.

(i know you were asking about DIY but aftermarket keys work fine)
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:33 AM   #12
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
I had a locksmith come to my house and sell me a new (aftermarket) key and copy my existing key for about $200. Dealers were quoting 450-600 around here which is a joke.

The aftermarket key works fine except for the trunk release button the key (i dont care). This is a push button start model.

(i know you were asking about DIY but aftermarket keys work fine)

I would love to know exactly where he got this aftermarket key. I’ve tried a bunch of aftermarket keys and none of them have the correct transponder for our car even though the product description specifically says it does. As for the trunk release. All of the aftermarket “remotes” I have purchased have had working trunk release buttons. I don’t have a push button start so maybe that is the difference. Or maybe you have that button inside the trunk pressed which disables the trunk release.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:46 AM   #13
Hypnocracy
Hypnocratic Missionary

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I've been down this road...there is no magic bullet for a ToyoBaru...

zoomzoom (hey that's a Mazda saying isn't it?) just go to the dealer and buy a new key/fob & schedule an appointment to have it programed...IIRC $425 later you will have what you need and a lot less stress...
Hypnocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:41 AM   #14
Chamaco

Drives: Silver FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnocracy View Post
I've been down this road...there is no magic bullet for a ToyoBaru...

zoomzoom (hey that's a Mazda saying isn't it?) just go to the dealer and buy a new key/fob & schedule an appointment to have it programed...IIRC $425 later you will have what you need and a lot less stress...
I did mine with a local locksmith with a OEM (after buying an aftermarket one and not working) Key for under $200.
Chamaco is offline   Reply With Quote