follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2013, 12:18 AM   #1
JD86

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
JD's Boosted Australian GT86

Let the build begin...
This has been a very long time coming, but the fun is about to start in earnest! I ordered my car in September last year and took delivery in January. However with my job being the way it is I haven't actually been home all that much this year, a total of 2 weeks to be exact. So as you can imagine I haven't had that much time to conduct the build... Or drive my car for that matter. Instead I've put my time to good use collecting parts, and what I had planned just to be a mild upgrade has now evolved into a full on build.

So let's begin with a list of what is to be done.

Base car:
Toyota GT86, Manual, Storm Black (Aus Spec).
I chose the GT as I liked the black interior and figured that everything that came extra on the GTS I would change out anyway (wheels, lights, basic trim changes and GPS). Plus there was an estimated 2 year wait on the GTS when I placed my order.

Engine stage 1:
AVO Turbo kit stage 1 with ceramic coating and custom wrap.
AVO Billet BOV
AVO Catch Can - Turbo model with Air/Oil Seperator
AVO base map
Cosworth Panel Filter
Motiv Overpipe and Highflow Cat Pipe
Kakimoto Regu Racing Cat back twin exhaust
Custom Oil Cooler (Mocal sandwich plate, Setrab 11 row core, Braided -8an Lines and fittings. Changed to Greddy Sandwich Plate)
Koyo Radiator
STI Engine Mounts

Engine stage 2:
Slight change of plans here. I was going to go straight into a full engine upgrade, but unfortunately the clutch I have planned won't turn up in time for the track days I have booked in. So it's going to a stage 1 build and then an upgrade and tune in early August.
AVO 7Psi Actuator
Omni 3 Bar Map sensor
Tactrix electronic boost solenoid Tuned for 13PSI peak boost, down to 9PSI at redline.

Engine stage 3:
Here's a new one. Something I wasn't planning on doing originally but it seems it is needed to suck more power out of the car.
Amuse R1 Titan resonated twin exit 70mm exhaust. Custom coloured tips.
Further exhaust upgrades are being considered.
Custom long nose 500CC Fuel Injectors
Deatschwerks fuel pump (most likely upgrade)

Suspension and Wheels:
Rays Gramlights 57DRs 18x9.5 +38s Gunmetal. Custom Plasti Dip to gloss Red.
Rays Racing Stainless Steel lug nuts
Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245x35 R18s
KW Variant 3 Coilovers
Vorshlag Camber Plates.
JDM Password Front Tower Strut set (Black)
Beatrush Rear Strut

Track Wheels:[/B]
Enkei Silver RPF1 17x9.5 +38 with 5mm Clap Consulting Spacer rings for RPF1 to Subaru Hub
Yokohama Advan AD08R 17x255x40
Orange TPMS

Transmission:
STI transmission mount
STI short shifter
Legsport Aluminium Reverse Lockout Ring Silver
Custom built performance clutch/Flywheel combination

Brakes:
HEL ADR approved braided stainless brake lines
2013 STI Brembo Brake Calipers (blacks) Custom Gold Repaint
DBA 5000 Front Disks
DBA 4000 custom rears for STI brakes on 86/BRZ
Project Mu HC+ Pads (front and rear)

Misc/Aesthetics:
TRD Door Stabilizer Kit
TRD Fender Canards (Carbon Fibre Version)
AEM Wideband/Boost/Failsafe Gauge
Custom RHD Vent Gauge Pod by Redline
HKS OBII Bluetooth Connector.
TRD Shift Knob.
Zeta carbon fibre TRD look alike spoiler.
Toyota OEM Armrest.
Toyota Japan OEM Leather Seat covers
Toyota GTS head unit with Satnav.
Toyota OEM Revering Camera
Automatic Folding Mirrors kit for GT86
Tom's tail lights
EvoXenon Custom BRZ headlights
Custom Recolour of interior Dash lighting (Blue)
Dabonda Blackbox DBR-4000F Recording Camera
Raceeng Gopro tow hook
GPS Tracking Alarm
Rexspeed Convex Mirrors

There's a few extra things planned for the future, like body kits and colour... But for the moment we'll keep those a surprise. By the end I am hoping to have a street legal, quality built beast, that has a little bit of show to it, but is more a sleeper and less of a cop magnet.

Special thanks:
(in no particular order!):
-AVO Australia - Lee has been an absolute legend
-S-Technic Perth (anyone in WA the team has been fantastic to work with and reasonably priced)
-Import Monster - Aaron and Daniel have both been incredibly helpful!
-Car Mods Australia - Daniel is a champ, and has good taste in mods haha!
-Ravspec
-XXREDLINE9XX
-Subaru Parts Online
-Motive Concepts
-Japan Parts Online
-Vivid Racing
-Cheap Toyota Parts UK
Also big thanks to anyone who has directed me to great vendors, sold me parts they no longer want or answered questions about their builds.

These were taken just after ceramic pro... She looked so shiny I just had to get some snaps at the beach down the road.
Name:  New Look quarter Small.jpg
Views: 3686
Size:  218.9 KB
Name:  New Look Rear Side on Small.jpg
Views: 3778
Size:  261.7 KB

Day after that there was a cruise with the 86/BRZ club and the Honda club. A lot of photographers at the initial meet point.
Name:  Run 03 Small.jpg
Views: 3463
Size:  305.5 KB
Name:  Run 02 Small.jpg
Views: 3356
Size:  284.9 KB
Name:  Run 04 Small.jpg
Views: 3340
Size:  196.9 KB

Last edited by JD86; 11-18-2013 at 02:07 AM.
JD86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JD86 For This Useful Post:
FiRStsc10n (06-29-2013), GaN-MaN (06-30-2013), nix (07-10-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
JD86

This was my baby the day I got her. She got parked up that night and I didn't see her again for 11 weeks!
However whilst I was away my collection of parts for her started to grow... Internet shopping becomes all too addictive when you're away from home for two or three months at a time!
I did managed to get some easy bits fitted like the strut bar kit. The JDM password stuff is really good quality IMO. Massively strong, adjustable and well machined.

First day of ownership.
Name:  Cropped 86 at the Beach.jpg
Views: 4333
Size:  310.8 KB

I happen to think this is one of the best views of the car... Apologies for glare but I was excited. I actually think the stock rims look good, it's a shame they're so small.
Name:  86 Profile.jpg
Views: 4387
Size:  207.8 KB

The pile of goods started small... AVO was the first package to arrive, KWs weren't far behind, JDM password got there really quickly.
Name:  Parts 1.jpg
Views: 4228
Size:  289.7 KB

But the longer I was away it just kept getting bigger and bigger. Thank goodness for an understanding Dad with a large garage for me to get deliveries sent to... Motive, AEM, Redline, ECUtek, STI all added to the mix.
Name:  Parts 2.jpg
Views: 4155
Size:  241.9 KB

JDM Password Strut bars installed (have a magnet on standby for dropped nuts).
Name:  Engine Bay.jpg
Views: 4920
Size:  413.7 KB

Last edited by JD86; 08-04-2013 at 08:55 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JD86 For This Useful Post:
GaN-MaN (07-13-2013)
Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
JD86

A few better photos of my baby... I love the TRD body kit. I'm actually struggling to find one I like better. But I don't know if it will suit the style I am going with. So for now I've just added the Zeta carbon fibre TRD style rear wing. Fitment was good, not great. Had to use sikaflex to seal some gaps as the carbon didn't allow any flexibility when fitting it to the boot.

Some better photos as the last ones had lots of glare.
Name:  Small Front View.jpg
Views: 4260
Size:  359.9 KB
Name:  Small Side View.jpg
Views: 4392
Size:  332.6 KB

This is the Zeta performance boot lip spoiler. For the moment I'm going with a black theme with carbon accents. Really happy with the look of the wing even if the fitment isn't perfect.
Name:  Small rear view.jpg
Views: 4695
Size:  334.4 KB
Name:  Small Spoiler Shot.jpg
Views: 4235
Size:  335.8 KB

Last edited by JD86; 08-04-2013 at 09:01 AM.
GaN-MaN (07-13-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
JD86

Finally I have been realeased from work and am getting a chance to work on the car. Booked in for base runs at the dyno place down the road this week, in the mean time I am fitting everything that I can myself...
Starting with TRD door stabilisers, Beatrush rear strut bar, Toyota centre console and STI short shifter.
Had a few minor problems during the install. The beatrush brace isn't adjustable like the JDM password kit I used in the front and I found that the strut wasn't quite the right length for the car. Nothing a pencil grinder and gentle persuasion (read a hammer) couldn't fix but still shouldn't have been necessary. Only took about 45 to install none the less.
I've had to hold off on the install of the TRD door stabilisers as I've found that a screw driver wasn't enough to break the loctite and a breaker bar was stripping the head of the bolts. I've stopped an I'm now waiting for my impact gun to rock up before I go at those again.

Beatrush rear strut bar. Great piece, love that it is hidden away below the carpets.
Name:  Small Beatrush Install.jpg
Views: 5553
Size:  396.6 KB

Oh I also verified that you can in fact fit four full sized tyres in the car today, bring on the track days haha!
Name:  Small four tyres.jpg
Views: 4142
Size:  295.5 KB

Last edited by JD86; 08-04-2013 at 09:04 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD86 For This Useful Post:
GaN-MaN (07-13-2013), supra2nv (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #5
JD86

This is what part of my office looks like at the moment, yes this is all to go on my car... I think I have an addiction.
There's also a stack of brand new tyres in my garage, an exhaust box at my import agent and several other large items inbound in containers from Japan and the states.
Attached Images

GaN-MaN (07-13-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
supra2nv

Drives: 10 Series TRD
Thanked 1,169 Times in 700 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tires crammed in the car. Love it

Wave Particle Duality
supra2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
You have a lot of wrench time ahead
Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Great tire selection, and I look forward to seeing how the AVO kit does on track for you. Any radiator upgrade? Where is the custom oil cooler going?
Old 07-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
JD86

Haha yes, am well aware that I have a lot of wrench time ahead. Thankfully I have a month off work at a bare minimum so game on!
I'm pleased with the tyre selection, I get a bit of a mix of severely hot weather and lots of rain here so they were a safe choice for me.
The climate here can be quite hot, it's not uncommon to get 115+f days over summer so I viewed an oil cooler as a must and am seriously considering radiator upgrades, although there doesn't seem to be much that suits the AVO kit. The oil cooler is going under the RH headlight. I'm just trying to figure out what if any ducting I run to it. I think the radiation effect on it's own will do a lot but I'm sussing out replacing the fog lamp housing or changing the body kit to give it better air flow through there.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:22 AM   #10
JD86

Got a few things done today. STI short shifter in, legsport lockout ring on and centre console installed.
To be honest I didn't think the TI short shifter was going to do anything, when you hold it side by side with the standard unit it's near on impossible to tell the difference between the two. But after going out for a drive I am really enjoying it. For those installing a short shifter follow this awesome DIY;
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31340
I think the STI shifter was a little easier to install than the Kartboy one. Also the STI gives you a replacement for the dust boot under the car, with good reason! I destroyed mine in the process of removing it, and the new one was really easy to slip on.
Minor frustration of the day. I had the tyres mounted on the rims, but have been sent the wrong lug nuts (1.5s vs 1.25s). Have a replacement set airbagged out, but won't be here till early next week.

I got a little 86 accent for where the seat warmer switches are as well. Think it suits the theme of the car nicely. Matches the TRD shift knob and the leg sport lock ring.
Attached Images

Last edited by JD86; 08-04-2013 at 09:06 AM.
GaN-MaN (07-13-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #11
JD86

Apologies... Didn't realise how badly the last photo turned out until I posted it... Lets try again. Bling lock out ring installed, short shifter installed and armrest installed.
Name:  Small Bling.jpg
Views: 4124
Size:  271.0 KB
Name:  86 Logo.jpg
Views: 3923
Size:  165.6 KB

Also did a trial fit up of my exhaust system to make sure all the components fit together as I've gone with an odd mix. Thank goodness they do, and hopefully fit on the car as well.
Name:  Exhaust Trial Fit.jpg
Views: 3839
Size:  238.8 KB

I went with the kakimoto for something completely different. There seems to be a lot of the same sort of combinations popping up so I wanted something a little unique. Really glad I did get this one as the whole system is quality built and just gorgeous to look at.
Name:  Ehaust close up.jpg
Views: 3824
Size:  276.9 KB
Name:  Exhaust tip.jpg
Views: 3852
Size:  262.9 KB

Last edited by JD86; 08-04-2013 at 09:09 AM.
GaN-MaN (07-13-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
nix

Drives: AVO BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Reading through your mod list, you have impeccable taste sir.

I had the same model exhaust on my Supra and it was amazing. Looking forward to hearing it on your car. I had the same experience from @RavSpec, getting a packet with 1.5mm nuts and he didn't send me new ones.

I wasn't able to get enough - camber on the front to tuck the 57s with just the built in adjustment on the KWs. Crash bolts might have worked but I think the inside would rub, so you may have to go to camber plates.

I found after doing sways & coilovers the doors really do squeak a lot over bumps so the stabilisers are worth it.

I'm wondering if the STI shifter will have any rattle/vibration with the engine & gearbox mounts. Interested in your feedback on that. Although it could be my flywheel/diff mounts contributing to that also.

I think your oil cooler will be fine without ducting but you'll want to cut some of the splash guard behind it.

Keep us posted!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
jdm-az-fuk

Drives: 2013 Fr-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This is going to be awesome.
jdm-az-fuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
JD86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nix View Post
Reading through your mod list, you have impeccable taste sir.

I had the same model exhaust on my Supra and it was amazing. Looking forward to hearing it on your car. I had the same experience from @RavSpec, getting a packet with 1.5mm nuts and he didn't send me new ones.

I wasn't able to get enough - camber on the front to tuck the 57s with just the built in adjustment on the KWs. Crash bolts might have worked but I think the inside would rub, so you may have to go to camber plates.

I found after doing sways & coilovers the doors really do squeak a lot over bumps so the stabilisers are worth it.

I'm wondering if the STI shifter will have any rattle/vibration with the engine & gearbox mounts. Interested in your feedback on that. Although it could be my flywheel/diff mounts contributing to that also.

I think your oil cooler will be fine without ducting but you'll want to cut some of the splash guard behind it.

Keep us posted!
Haha thanks Nix! I was a little worried as to how you would react to this as our taste is so similar! When I found your thread after ordering the avo turbo, rims, and KWs I couldn't believe how similar we were. Your advice on the tyre size was also much appreciated. I finally thought I'd gone down a different path with the STI engine mounts and transmission mount then they showed up in your thread too haha!

I'm hoping not to have to use the top hats on the KWs but after playing with the fit today I think you're right. Anyway I have the vorshlags and will put them on if necessary, but I'd prefer just to mount on the rubber.

I'll let you know how I go with the engine/transmission mounts when everthing is fitted up next week. I'm getting the clutch built out of a stock one (thanks sportsguy!!!) by the guy who does my builder's rally team clutches. So hopefully using the stock will help keep the rattle down.

I have a couple of plans as far as the oil cooler ducting goes. One will be using the APR brake duct on that side, but I have something more extreme in mind down the line.
nix (07-10-2013)