follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #29
Bg8780

Drives: '13 Black Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
My GTI had DSG. It wasn't my first choice, but I went ahead and compromised on that in case my wife ever had to drive the car. Annnd she never even once sat in the driver's seat. After that car was gone I decided I was sticking to, well, stick.

Anyway, driving impressions. Normal is pretty much like an automatic. Sport lets it rev a bit higher. Manual mode did have very quick shifts but there were a handful of times that I said "GODDAMMIT SHIFT NOW" and it took a bit longer than I wanted. What turned me off a bit was the maintenance schedule on DSG. Every 40k miles was a $450 fluid and filter change. From what I've heard the costs may have decreased since the six years or so ago that I had the car.

Also the Abarth will be available in an automatic soon too. Uh, no bias at all. Nope, none.
lol that sucks man, could have had a manual. Oh well, can't predict the future. That is pretty pricey every 40k but the DSG's have been around for a little bit now so I can see those costs probably going lower. I drove a 2013 GTI DSG and I was impressed with the responsiveness of the shifts but this was a short drive around the block.

Haha! I keep asking her about the Abarth. Different posts on the blogs keep popping up about how cool of a little car it is and I can't help but start to love it. It sounds pretty great too! She's not going to budge on the 500 though, she can't stand the look and needs more space and utility.

How long did you have the car? What year? Did you have any major issues?
Bg8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #30
Bg8780

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Not sure about new GTI, but here's feedback I got from my friends

Friend/co-worker have '01 GTI. She's love the shape & inside, but every month, there's some kind of issue: airbag light, several different CEL (vacuum line, abs & lists goes on). Last month, trans was acting up. After 6wks later w over $3k spent, shop claim they're fixed... but next day, she had to bring it back. She still loves that car... but debating on selling it currently.

Friend's GF. She have '08 GTI (white line iirc). She's not car-holic or anything, but she loves that car a lot... til last wk. Some kind of engine or ECU mechinical issue happened & currently at the dealer.

My work's HR Manager. He own '13 GTI. He enjoying his GTI & love driving it. Don't have any issue on his car.

My neighbor. He own '12 GTI & he autox it in the summer. Looks nice & I think, he said, never had any issue with it.

Hope that feedback helped a bit.
Thanks man! Exactly the kind of real life experience I'm looking for. Thanks for the input! From what I've been reading it seems that for every perfectly fine GTI out there, there is another "lemon" that has an owner plagued with issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bg8780 For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (06-06-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #31
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bg8780 View Post
Thanks man! Exactly the kind of real life experience I'm looking for. Thanks for the input! From what I've been reading it seems that for every perfectly fine GTI out there, there is another "lemon" that has an owner plagued with issues.
Yeah, pretty much. So take these as grain of salt. Cuz not all the GTI will have same issue (if it did, it'll be in recall lol).
Old 06-06-2014, 03:19 PM   #32
juliog

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
For a non enthusiast, regular Golf or Mazda 3 is a better value, and have softer rides.

Sent from my iPotato

Last edited by juliog; 06-06-2014 at 03:35 PM.
juliog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to juliog For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-06-2014, 04:27 PM   #33
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Note the age differences between Itchitaka's examples, <3 years, zero problems, >5 years oodles of problems. From what you said it seems like you'd get shit if it kicked the bucket any less than 10 years down the road.

Also worth noting, that $450 fluid flush every 40k miles, how much do you plan on driving it? For most people that service is >3 year intervals.

Concerning the Abarth, it was my second choice car, an automatic might do the car too much of a disservice, FIAT isn't exactly known for putting industry leading tech in their economy cars. Check out Top Gear's review though, it's the same car (they call it an SS), several years old but still the same chassis and 160hp powerplant, long in the tooth over there still a bit of a novelty here.
http://www.topgear.com/uk/videos/take-abarth

But if she dislikes the styling don't waste her time.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #34
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bg8780 View Post
How long did you have the car? What year? Did you have any major issues?
It was an 07, I had it a little over a year and a half, and when I brought it in for a CEL at 30k-ish the dealership crashed it, as I said earlier. Owner was still a **** to my wife and I, but I got a couple grand more out of them than originally offered.

I think the problem was with the evap system. All of a sudden one day I couldn't put fuel in the car without it shutting the pump down. I thought it was weird, but I got it filled anyway. A few weeks later it happened again at a different gas station. Then the CEL came on shortly after.. It took them forever to diagnose and fix it, but at least they gave me a loaner Passat. About a week or so after I got back after my honeymoon they had the car fixed, told me to come pick it up. I said I'd be there tomorrow after lunch time because I was an hour away at the time and couldn't make it. And then the next day about an hour before I'm about to go pick it up I get a call saying they needed to speak to me about my car. Yeah, tech took it out for a "test drive" to make sure the problem was still fixed...a fter they told me come pick it up. And then he t-boned a SUV. I still to this day haven't gotten an apology for what happened.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to n2oinferno For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #35
Bg8780

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2oinferno View Post
It was an 07, I had it a little over a year and a half, and when I brought it in for a CEL at 30k-ish the dealership crashed it, as I said earlier. Owner was still a **** to my wife and I, but I got a couple grand more out of them than originally offered.

I think the problem was with the evap system. All of a sudden one day I couldn't put fuel in the car without it shutting the pump down. I thought it was weird, but I got it filled anyway. A few weeks later it happened again at a different gas station. Then the CEL came on shortly after.. It took them forever to diagnose and fix it, but at least they gave me a loaner Passat. About a week or so after I got back after my honeymoon they had the car fixed, told me to come pick it up. I said I'd be there tomorrow after lunch time because I was an hour away at the time and couldn't make it. And then the next day about an hour before I'm about to go pick it up I get a call saying they needed to speak to me about my car. Yeah, tech took it out for a "test drive" to make sure the problem was still fixed...a fter they told me come pick it up. And then he t-boned a SUV. I still to this day haven't gotten an apology for what happened.
Damn, that's a mess! This seems to happen quite often on these "test drives". I know it's happened to a couple 86's. I've seen some of those post around here.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #36
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
So you're just out of high school and you already drive a BRZ. Now your girlfriend's parents are trying to give her a leg up by giving her a brand new car, as long as it's reliable and will last a long time. But you're not happy with the choice of car her parents are giving to her. Here's my suggestion, shut your ungrateful mouth unless you're telling her parents 'thank you.'
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #37
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
He's been in the military for three years, so he's at least 21.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #38
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
He's been in the military for three years, so he's at least 21.
And he's dating a girl in high school?

Being in the military doesn't make him any less of a douche.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:55 PM   #39
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
And he's dating a girl in high school?

Being in the military doesn't make him any less of a douche.
The first post said she's completing grad school, not grade school. And her dad wants to buy her a car as a gift for completing grad school. He's just helping her shop.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #40
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
The first post said she's completing grad school, not grade school. And her dad wants to buy her a car as a gift for completing grad school. He's just helping her shop.
I stand corrected. I read grade school.
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 05:38 PM   #41
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Oh yeah, who could forget the books of VW recalls, of course they issue the recalls such as "Only acceptable if car is under 75,000 miles" for cars that are already 5 years old and past that mileage.

Bullshit.
Bg8780 (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #42
Bg8780

Didn't think I'd have to bring a flamesuit to get opinions on a GTI.

Thanks again to the people contributing to the discussion.

As for the trolling from @OrbitalEllipses I think he's trying to make me into a study of the effects from internet trolling for his psychology degree.

@Calum I have been out of High School for quite some time and so has the girlfriend. Hell, I wish I could go back. Some good times. My BRZ is paid off with my money. She is not being ungrateful, just wanted to see what else is on the market other than the be all end all Camry. She has really taken a liking to the GTI (Golf platform) making it a serious option. Her parents are open to different cars and reliability is a factor in this decision. Thus, I made this thread asking for feedback and opinions on the GTI as I have never owned a VW and don't know much about them.

Last edited by Bg8780; 06-07-2014 at 06:52 PM.