follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #225
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Agreed. The twins are so light.. Maybe 260hp and 250ft lps of torque? That would still be a monster.

Yea, a minimum of 30 hp more if NA would be a good, but 45+ hp if its forced induction. It would absolutely awesome. Also maybe by 2015 there will be advancements in better and cheaper sound deadening so the car will be that much more livable.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #226
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber_TRD View Post
Ok, not as good as the other guy made it sound, but still delicious none-the-less. Thank you for that. Seriously been waiting for this day, called it so long ago when they started with Scion. People didn't believe us, but there it is.

I finally get to say, "I told you so.".
Yup, there sales have been steadily dropping, but I heard it was going to be dealer choice whether or not they want to run the Scion brand after the half of the dealers get shutdown. After the FR-S sales taper off they are going a real money issue at scion and it won't be financially viable anymore, but at least if that happens they will probably bring the FR-S over to toyota. .
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
Old 08-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #227
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
Yup, there sales have been steadily dropping, but I heard it was going to be dealer choice whether or not they want to run the Scion brand after the half of the dealers get shutdown. After the FR-S sales taper off they are going a real money issue at scion and it won't be financially viable anymore, but at least if that happens they will probably bring the FR-S over to toyota. .
And then we will finally have the 86 that we all want. This cannot happen soon enough...
Old 08-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #228
guysmyley

Drives: lexus
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
what he said

seriously. take me to the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiakai View Post
And then we will finally have the 86 that we all want. This cannot happen soon enough...
guysmyley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #229
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiakai View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmyley View Post
seriously. take me to the future!
Its really just a guess, we know scion is going to close up shop soon, but whether or not the cars will make a move over brands is another issue, I have no idea the way they would think, but my logic tells me they would save the best selling cars that succeeded in the scion brand and toyotify them
Old 08-25-2013, 01:44 AM   #230
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber_TRD View Post
Ok, not as good as the other guy made it sound, but still delicious none-the-less. Thank you for that. Seriously been waiting for this day, called it so long ago when they started with Scion. People didn't believe us, but there it is.

I finally get to say, "I told you so.".
You called it 10 years ago when Scion started?

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #231
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Just found this thread due to being on the front page. Perhaps it could be combined with the BRZ doomed thread? As I mentioned in my post over there, the Drive article is sensationalistic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyllz View Post
The current FA20 is a bulletproof motor(other than the DI issue solved with a tune).
Hope you're right, but at this point it's presumptuous to call the FA20 bulletproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcX4ever View Post
Are you asking more under the curve? It is already better than others.

Even with the abnormalTorque dip at 4000rpm, the FA20 has fatter "LOW END TORQUE" compared to a comparable 2.0L engine (even the k20 of your DC5).

Here's an example:
Hey, that's my graph

Quote:
Pros of 2.5L NA
--It will not likely to add any weight.
--NA response time is always better.
--Have the option to FI it later. I know people here are power hungry.
Why don't you think using a 2.5 is likely to result in a heavier vehicle?

This is obviously speculative, but based on Subaru's 2L vs 2.5L H4s (and weight differences between the Impreza, Forester, and Legacy), I'd expect a ~12-18% drop in fuel efficiency with a 2.5L engine in a 6MT FT86.

For purposes of comparison, my 6MT BRZ is rated for 22/30 MPG, but actually gets 25-28 MPG in town and 32-38 MPG highway.

Last edited by Deslock; 08-25-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #232
FT_Monk

Drives: Over the hill WRX
They should just install the V6 in the Camry or the IS 3.5 V6 into the twin, problem solved.
FT_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #233
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
Way way WAY back when, when Chevy took its big-block V8 from 427 to 454 cubic inches, the engineers were able to justify it as weight-savings (more material removed from the bores in the block => lighter weight)!
When I went from 2.4 L6 to a 3.1 L6 in my 240Z, weight gain was essentially zero.
If the engine can be bored/stroked to 2.5 liters without becoming physically bigger, and if there's enough margin in the existing drivetrain, there shouldn't be much if any weight gain.

Quote:
This is obviously speculative, but based on Subaru's 2L vs 2.5L H4s (and weight differences between the Impreza, Forester, and Legacy), I'd expect a ~12-18% drop in fuel efficiency with a 2.5L engine in a 6MT FT86.
Increase displacement/torque/power by 25% would allow them to gear it, say, 12.5% taller and still have better off-the-line acceleration while at the same time minimizing the impact on fuel mileage.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #234
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Way way WAY back when, when Chevy took its big-block V8 from 427 to 454 cubic inches, the engineers were able to justify it as weight-savings (more material removed from the bores in the block => lighter weight)!
The 427 to 454 represented only a 6% increase in displacement (vs a 25% increase from a 2L to a 2.5L) and the FA20 has less material to bore out.

Quote:
If the engine can be bored/stroked to 2.5 liters without becoming physically bigger, and if there's enough margin in the existing drivetrain, there shouldn't be much if any weight gain.
Yep, but that's a couple big ifs.

Quote:
Increase displacement/torque/power by 25% would allow them to gear it, say, 12.5% taller and still have better off-the-line acceleration while at the same time minimizing the impact on fuel mileage.
Right, that's one of the reasons why I put in a range for my guestimate.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 AM   #235
g0lden

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Argento
so if 147kw is equal too 200hp, then 197kw should equal 258hp. They have to be thinking turbo/SC or V6 option...I can only imaging how much they will try and charge for that.
g0lden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #236
cfusionpm

Drives: Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by g0lden View Post
so if 147kw is equal too 200hp, then 197kw should equal 258hp. They have to be thinking turbo/SC or V6 option...I can only imaging how much they will try and charge for that.
That was my big concern. If I wanted to pay for an S2000 I would have bought an S2000. This was 10 grand cheaper (new for new). A power boost is definitely going to push it into a higher price bracket.

2013 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
cfusionpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #237
jcX4ever
X-Lurker

Drives: 2zz MRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post

I don't know how thick the cylinder walls of the FA20 but if they can still bore it then you are shaving some metal thus reducing weight while increasing displacement.. this results in a lighter engine but more displacement.. Also, you can add more displacement in stroking .. this should not add weight.

Another, if they want to make a new block for the 2.5L then the weight difference should still be significantly lighter comparing to adding turbo, pipes, intercooler etc.
jcX4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:54 PM   #238
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
I don't know how thick the cylinder walls of the FA20 but if they can still bore it then you are shaving some metal thus reducing weight while increasing displacement.. this results in a lighter engine but more displacement.. Also, you can add more displacement in stroking .. this should not add weight.

Another, if they want to make a new block for the 2.5L then the weight difference should still be significantly lighter comparing to adding turbo, pipes, intercooler etc.

Not much room to bore out. Maintaining square bore/stroke means adding another 6mm diameter to each cylinder (~93mm) or very nearly 1/4".

I guess it boils down to what you think a "noticeable" weight gain is, I typed out a long paragraph and ballparked 50+ lb. increase and realized that meant nothing to many people if it resulted in another 20 hp.

Edit: and that doesn't factor in the bloat as the model ages, heated seats, nicer plastics or satellite radio or knob gobblers or whatever they do to milk the everyman.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote