follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2017, 09:10 AM   #967
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yep. We saw that even in the First86 program. While we got the first 86 (or so, not everybody bought the one allotted to them) we did not get the first 86 produced because we were able to select a color and a transmission type. I have a relatively low serial number (in the 200's) but there are people that bought their car well after mine that got a lower serial number. They basically held cars at the port and shipped only the ones that matched the order, but we did not know in advance which one would be purchased.
My theory is that the ease of ordering things from places such as Amazon, Ebay or the 1,000s of other websites has skewed the perception of how quickly things should show up. When you can click "Buy Now" and an item shows up at your door two days later then that sort of personal delivery becomes the norm.
You only need to go back to the early 90s to remember how long things used to take. By the time you found what you wanted in a catalogue, sent a letter and cheque, the money cleared the bank, they processed your order by shuffling paper, and shipped it by sloth or snail it could easily be 6 or 8 weeks before your box of trim clips showed up at your door. Ordering a car through a dealer was much the same since they didn't just fill in some boxes on a form on a computer and click send but had to mail documents back and forth and wait while some guy sitting at a desk covered in actual paper sorted through everything and processed the order. Although now the info is processed in literally minutes it still takes time to build and ship the car so the gap seems worse.
Dadhawk (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #968
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
My theory is that the ease of ordering things from places such as Amazon, Ebay or the 1,000s of other websites has skewed the perception of how quickly things should show up. When you can click "Buy Now" and an item shows up at your door two days later then that sort of personal delivery becomes the norm.
Two days, that's so 2000. I can order from Amazon and have delivery in two hours on a lot of items....

But, yea, agree!

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #969
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Two days, that's so 2000. I can order from Amazon and have delivery in two hours on a lot of items....

But, yea, agree!
Canada eh. Nothing is local. I did get a parcel from Korea in 3 days one time though. I was shocked and not really sure how the hell they pulled it off.
Dadhawk (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 09:53 AM   #970
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Canada eh. Nothing is local. I did get a parcel from Korea in 3 days one time though. I was shocked and not really sure how the hell they pulled it off.
The two hour delivery option is pretty cool if you are in the right area. Pretty limited product line (not the whole catalog). The best part is you can cyber-stalk the driver because the app shows you where the car is on its delivery route to your house.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #971
trippinbillies40

Drives: '22 WRB
Thanked 1,213 Times in 400 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
F5.. F5... F5... Finally got a VIN attached today, and updated ETA shows 4/4.
trippinbillies40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:38 PM   #972
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
You only need to go back to the early 90s to remember how long things used to take. By the time you found what you wanted in a catalogue, sent a letter and cheque, the money cleared the bank, they processed your order by shuffling paper, and shipped it by sloth or snail it could easily be 6 or 8 weeks before your box of trim clips showed up at your door. Ordering a car through a dealer was much the same since they didn't just fill in some boxes on a form on a computer and click send but had to mail documents back and forth and wait while some guy sitting at a desk covered in actual paper sorted through everything and processed the order. Although now the info is processed in literally minutes it still takes time to build and ship the car so the gap seems worse.
+ @Dadhawk

I mean, I don't think the issue is really that, at least for me. I don't even have Amazon Prime, lol, so most orders I do make (which surprisingly aren't many by modern standards) take at least a couple weeks, at best.

I'm fairly sure we both agree that building and shipping the car itself takes a justifyingly long amount of time. Parts need to be sourced and allotted, etc.

I'm a software engineer, so a lot of the time I'm thinking of problem solving and efficiency. So when I hear that the exact same car (without extra port options, etc.) I ordered is sitting on a lot on the other side of the country that it arrived from, without anyone having ordered it and waiting for itself to be bought in person, I wonder why they're having someone wait at least another month or X amount of time to receive their own, especially when they've invested money and time into shipping the car coast to coast.

I mean, you bring up great and fair points about how building and shipping the cars (across the ocean) takes quite a long time. That all makes good sense and I totally agree. I'm fine with that.

But when it comes to efficiency (getting an order to a customer with a purchase agreement already in place in as timely a manner as they reasonable can) it doesn't make much sense anymore. Especially since I'm fairly sure -feel free to prove me wrong- that once a car arrives it needs to be insured for its trip across the country as well. I could be wrong, maybe the cargo ship with a car bound for the East Coast is sailed all the way to the East Coast. But if the car is delivered on the West Coast and then sent by train or truck, then there must be monetary costs to do so.

To me it sounds odd in that kind of scenario because they're basically holding off on being paid for X extra amount of time. When I think of good business I imagine people want to see money as soon as possible. But hey, I'm probably wrong; I'm not a business major! haha.

So when I think of it that way, it doesn't really make obvious sense, other than "well I guess maybe an unreserved car sitting on a lot will attract more attention by being a good marketing/advertising tool."

The other thing has to do with dealer allotments. They probably only get a certain amount of certain cars at certain times, and that is why even if you ordered sooner or there's a car available it won't go to you.

Whatever the reason(s) is(are), I just think it's a bit inefficient.

Anyway.... Like I've said at least a few times in this thread by now, I know just about nothing when it comes to the supply line and how orders are made/shipped/sent to specific customers, etc etc.

It is what it is and I honestly don't care much other than that I'm a curious person.

Let's all just get along about this
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #973
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
+ @Dadhawk

I mean, I don't think the issue is really that, at least for me. I don't even have Amazon Prime, lol, so most orders I do make (which surprisingly aren't many by modern standards) take at least a couple weeks, at best.

I'm fairly sure we both agree that building and shipping the car itself takes a justifyingly long amount of time. Parts need to be sourced and allotted, etc.

I'm a software engineer, so a lot of the time I'm thinking of problem solving and efficiency. So when I hear that the exact same car (without extra port options, etc.) I ordered is sitting on a lot on the other side of the country that it arrived from, without anyone having ordered it and waiting for itself to be bought in person, I wonder why they're having someone wait at least another month or X amount of time to receive their own, especially when they've invested money and time into shipping the car coast to coast.

I mean, you bring up great and fair points about how building and shipping the cars (across the ocean) takes quite a long time. That all makes good sense and I totally agree. I'm fine with that.

But when it comes to efficiency (getting an order to a customer with a purchase agreement already in place in as timely a manner as they reasonable can) it doesn't make much sense anymore. Especially since I'm fairly sure -feel free to prove me wrong- that once a car arrives it needs to be insured for its trip across the country as well. I could be wrong, maybe the cargo ship with a car bound for the East Coast is sailed all the way to the East Coast. But if the car is delivered on the West Coast and then sent by train or truck, then there must be monetary costs to do so.

To me it sounds odd in that kind of scenario because they're basically holding off on being paid for X extra amount of time. When I think of good business I imagine people want to see money as soon as possible. But hey, I'm probably wrong; I'm not a business major! haha.

So when I think of it that way, it doesn't really make obvious sense, other than "well I guess maybe an unreserved car sitting on a lot will attract more attention by being a good marketing/advertising tool."

The other thing has to do with dealer allotments. They probably only get a certain amount of certain cars at certain times, and that is why even if you ordered sooner or there's a car available it won't go to you.

Whatever the reason(s) is(are), I just think it's a bit inefficient.

Anyway.... Like I've said at least a few times in this thread by now, I know just about nothing when it comes to the supply line and how orders are made/shipped/sent to specific customers, etc etc.

It is what it is and I honestly don't care much other than that I'm a curious person.

Let's all just get along about this
Not sure who isn't getting along or how my little theory on modern commerce could be taken as a slam or insult but will certainly say I am sorry to anybody that read it that way.

The big thing with cars is that you or I look at one and think it is expensive but to the companies that pump out millions of them one car sale is totally meaningless. Hell, 1,000 cars sold is meaningless. The system seems inefficient when you look at individual cases but when the whole scope of what they do is included then individual cars become nothing. I know it doesn't make sense when looked at from a logic perspective but somehow they make more money by doing it how they do. They are not sending them where they do for some cheap marketing gimmick such as having one on a lot but simply because that is the plan that was in place to get everything out as cheaply and quickly as possible.
It can be difficult to wrap your head around just how vast the industry is and just how little they care about one customer waiting for a car. They could probably take the whole 2017 production run of the BRZ and crush them all and all it would impact them would be that they would have to print their documents double sided for a couple of weeks to make up the loss.
Truly does suck that you have been The Guy that got stuck waiting the longest for some reason though.
Dadhawk (03-01-2017), spike021 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #974
spike021

Quote:
Not sure who isn't getting along or how my little theory on modern commerce could be taken as a slam or insult but will certainly say I am sorry to anybody that read it that way.

The big thing with cars is that you or I look at one and think it is expensive but to the companies that pump out millions of them one car sale is totally meaningless. Hell, 1,000 cars sold is meaningless. The system seems inefficient when you look at individual cases but when the whole scope of what they do is included then individual cars become nothing. I know it doesn't make sense when looked at from a logic perspective but somehow they make more money by doing it how they do. They are not sending them where they do for some cheap marketing gimmick such as having one on a lot but simply because that is the plan that was in place to get everything out as cheaply and quickly as possible.
It can be difficult to wrap your head around just how vast the industry is and just how little they care about one customer waiting for a car. They could probably take the whole 2017 production run of the BRZ and crush them all and all it would impact them would be that they would have to print their documents double sided for a couple of weeks to make up the loss.
Truly does suck that you have been The Guy that got stuck waiting the longest for some reason though.
Haha sorry that last bit was mostly just me being sarcastic since we've all had slightly different theories/ideas rather than agreeing on a single one

Yeah, you're right. In the grand scheme of things one order is pretty much nothing.

It's definitely an interesting kind of perspective to have.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #975
spike021

Quote:
It's been a little frustrating but it's honestly not too big a deal to me since I've honestly been waiting to get my first car for several years already now. A few extra months for the one I want is cool with me.

This is the only "car" I've ever really driven much of on streets haha so I'm ready to upgrade!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (03-12-2017), ~el~jefe~ (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 02:23 AM   #976
illmatic

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT, 02 AW, 03PSM WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Picked my up today at Irvine Subaru.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
illmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to illmatic For This Useful Post:
spike021 (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #977
anthonybrz

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Mine actually came in on 2/21. I ordered it back in January. 😍

anthonybrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anthonybrz For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (03-12-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 12:38 PM   #978
2013dgmbrzdood

Drives: 13 brz limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Damn i can't believe people had to wait an entire month.

Incredibly alarmed that noone seems to consider the cars didn't even begin shipping until January. Guess what the car releases when its scheduled to release not just because you put in what you see as an early order. People often wait 6-8 months for an ordered cars.

For example subaru tells me the 2018 will be a ready in september so i order now and then act impatient as if somehow my car was going to come before september.

Anyways i guess its typical for first time buyers who don't even bother understanding the process to start complaining. Thats the Murican way!

Ps love the pics keep em coming
2013dgmbrzdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #979
Tcoat

Quote:
January is the shipping date,
Depending on your market area and where your particular car is received at port you may get it in January, February or even March. That is of course if there are no delays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013dgmbrzdood View Post
Damn i can't believe people had to wait an entire month.

Incredibly alarmed that noone seems to consider the cars didn't even begin shipping until January. Guess what the car releases when its scheduled to release not just because you put in what you see as an early order. People often wait 6-8 months for an ordered cars.

For example subaru tells me the 2018 will be a ready in september so i order now and then act impatient as if somehow my car was going to come before september.

Anyways i guess its typical for first time buyers who don't even bother understanding the process to start complaining. Thats the Murican way!

Ps love the pics keep em coming

Not "no one"!
In fairness many actually listened and understood. They were all just excited and there were some very optimistic salesmen giving some rather optimistic info..
Old 03-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #980
spike021

I don't really remember anyone complaining about not getting their car in "under a month" or anything like that.

From what I can remember there was maybe one person who was really hoping they would but other than that, nothing else.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tags
2017, brz, delivery, package, performance