follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Drives: Supra
Thanked 2,181 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Officially Introducing The Audi A1

Quote:
Audi formally introduced its new premium supermini that will take on the MINI Cooper and its like. Poised as a true, fully-fledged Audi, the A1 will be launched initially as a three-door hatchback with a more practical five-door Sportsback model set to follow shortly after.

The A1 supermini was first previewed over two years ago, when Audi showed the three-door Metro Project Concept at the 2007 Tokyo Motor Show, followed in 2008 by the five-door A1 Sportback study in Paris.

The production model has remained extremely close to the original Metro Project concept, as it even keeps the color-contrasted roof arches that will be optionally available in a variety of shades. The most significant change concerns the newer interpretation of Audi's single-frame, five-point grille.

Though featuring less extravagant materials and production switchgear, the interior has also been carried over almost unchanged from the concept model. Special attention has been given to the styling of certain elements such as the four round air nozzles that are said to resemble the turbines of a jet.

Audi is following in the footsteps of MINI offering its new car with many customizable options including colored air nozzles, LED interior lighting packages, and seat covers in many different hues.

As you may have already figured out by now, the A1 is loosely based on the VW Group's small car architecture that includes the latest VW Polo and Skoda Fabia, with the chassis having been revised to offer greater driving pleasure.

Audi's iteration measures 3.95 meters (12.96 feet) in length, 1.74 meters (5.71 feet) in width and 1.42 meters (4.66 feet) in height and has a wheelbase of 2.47 meters (8.10 feet).

It's luggage compartment has a base volume of 267 liters (9.43 cubic feet) and comes with a double cargo floor as standard. The A1's split rear seat can be folded down to increase luggage capacity to roughly 920 liters (32.49 cubic feet) if loaded to the roof.

Audi is sending the new model into the market with two diesel and two gasoline engines, all of them featuring turbo-charging, direct injection and start-stop technology.

The entry-level gasoline engine is the new 1.2 TFSI that generates 86 hp and produces its peak torque of 160 Nm (118.01 lb-ft) between 1,500 and 3,500 rpm. Coupled with a five-speed manual transmission, the four-cylinder accelerates the A1 from 0 to 100 km/h (62mph) in 12.1 seconds on its way to a top speed of 179 km/h or 111mph.

In the EU driving cycle, it consumes 5.1 liters of fuel per 100 km (46.1 US mpg), which corresponds to only 119 grams of CO2/km.

The 1.4 TFSI ups the ante with 122HP and 200 Nm (147.51 lb-ft) of torque that is continuously available between 1,500 and 4,000 rpm. Together with the seven-speed S tronic dual clutch transmission, the 1.4 TFSI gets the A1 up to 100km/h (62mph) in 9.1 seconds and on to a top speed is 200 km/h or 124 mph.

The standard six-speed manual transmission bumps the time for the sprint to 9.2 seconds, without affecting top speed. Average fuel consumption is 5.1 and 5.4 liters/100 km (43.6 and 46.1 US mpg), respectively, in the EU test cycle.

On the diesel front, the first version of the 1.6-liter TDI produces 105HP and 250 Nm (184.39 lb-ft) between 1,500 and 2,500 rpm, and is coupled with a five-speed manual transmission. The diesel engine accelerates the A1 through the standard sprint in 10.8 seconds before reaching a top speed of 187 km/h or116 mph while consuming an average of 3.9 liters/100 km (60.3 US mpg).

The second iteration of the 1.6 TDI generates 90HP and 230 Nm (169.64 lb-ft) of torque between 1,500 and 2,500 rpm. Coupled with the five-speed manual transmission, it accelerates the A1 from 0 to 100 km/h in 12.2 seconds and on to a maximum speed of 179 km/h or 111 mph, while returning a mere 3.8 liters/100 km (61.9 US mpg), which corresponds to 99 grams of CO2/km.

All four engines transmit their power to the front wheels with all A1's being equipped with a standard ESP system that includes an electronic axle-differential lock.

Even though the A1 features a steel-based structure, Audi claims that the A1 is the lightest vehicle in the premium compact class as it tips the scales from 1045kg or 2,303.83 lb.

The A1 will have its world premiere at the 2010 Geneva Motor Show in March with sales to follow in Europe shortly after. According to Audi, the entry-level model will be priced at around €16,000 which is equal to US$22,000 /ZAR 180,000 at today's exchange rates.
http://www.torquemagazine.co.za/offi...g-the-audi-a1/
vh_supra26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

2011 Audi A1 - Official Photos and Info

Quote:
Stylish and efficient, the A1 has the Mini Cooper and the Fiat 500 squarely in its sights.

BY ERIK JOHNSON
February 2010

Out of the thin German ether appears official photos and information on the 2011 Audi A1, a vehicle that’s been teased more than C.C. DeVille’s hair on the cover of Poison’s kick-ass album, Look What the Cat Dragged In. Besides the Audi Metroproject Quattro concept from 2007 and the A1 Sportback concept from 2008, the Four Ringers have doled out bits of information via an A1 microsite. Now, finally, we know the whole deal.
The A1 is based in large part on the PQ25 platform, which also underpins the latest Volkswagen Polo, and will play in the hotly contested—in Europe, anyway—B-segment. It’s a segment Audi largely abandoned when it ended production of the ungainly A2 some five years ago, and it’s a decision the company has regretted since, especially given automakers’ pressing need to meet tightening efficiency standards in Europe and elsewhere.

Two Gas Engines, One Diesel in Two Strengths

Audi touts the A1 engine lineup as a prime example of its downsizing strategy, which emphasizes forced induction over larger displacement. The powerplants include two gasoline engines and two diesels, all turbocharged. The petrol-burners include a new 1.2-liter four-cylinder good for 86 hp and 118 lb-ft of torque, as well as a 1.4-liter four that produces 122 hp and 148 lb-ft. The two turbo-diesel engines are really just one, a 1.6-liter, but in two strengths: 90 hp/170 lb-ft and 105 hp/184 lb-ft. Diesel models and the 1.2-liter A1 will use a five-speed manual exclusively, but 1.4-liter buyers will get a six-speed stick as standard with the option of stepping up to a seven-speed double-clutch S tronic transmission with steering-wheel-mounted paddles. The A1 is strictly front-drive only—no Quattro.

The quickest setup is the 1.4-liter mated to the S tronic box, which Audi says propels the A1 to 62 mph in 9.1 seconds. The 1.2-liter gets to 62 in 12.1 seconds, while the diesels can accomplish the task in 10.8 seconds (105 hp) and 12.2 seconds (90 hp). None of those times are particularly fast, nor are they well-suited to American tastes, but Volkswagen’s ubiquitous 2.0-liter turbo would likely fit under the hood and would be nice as a U.S.-market powerplant—or the basis for a 200-plus-hp S1 model.
If the performance figures are underwhelming, perhaps the fuel-economy numbers will stir your soul. (God help you if they do.) On the European cycle, which is less strict than the EPA test used in the U.S., the A1 will return anywhere from 44 to 62 mpg, the former being posted by the S tronic–equipped 1.4-liter and the latter by the weaker diesel. It’s worth noting that the 105-hp diesel still returns 60 mpg. An engine stop/start system and alternator-based brake-energy regeneration pitch in to aid efficiency on all models.

Bold Styling for Such a Little Guy

The styling is unmistakably up-to-the-minute Audi, with the cut-cornered single-frame grille that debuted on the new A8 flagship appearing here, too. The brand’s characteristic LED lighting appears too, as an option, in the taillamps and in the daytime running lamps integrated into the headlight housings. The contrasting arch that runs up the A-pillar and frames the side windows before terminating at the bottom of the C-pillar carries over from the Metroproject concept, as does the fast rear glass, which reminds us of the Fiat 500 when viewed in profile. The contrasting arch, Audi says, will be optional and available in one of four colors. (The late, unlamented Saturn Ion offered a similar option, but we have faith that Audi’s taste level is such that one of the colors won’t be ‘leopard print,’ as it was on the old GM heap.) Xenon lights will cost extra—getting them adds the LEDs front and rear—and 18-inch wheels will be available as an accessory.
The Following User Says Thank You to vh_supra26 For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (04-08-2014)
Old 02-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

Quote:
As to size, the A1 measurements are comparable to those of what are sure to be its chief targets, the BMW-engineered Mini Cooper and Clubman; the Audi is as long (155.5 inches) as a Clubman but rides on a wheelbase (97.2) nearly identical to the three-door Cooper’s. Height (55.9 inches) is also a wash among all three models. Where the A1 differs most is in width—at 68.5 inches, it’s two inches wider than the Minis.

Inside, the cabin looks as if it will uphold well the Audi tradition of beautiful craftsmanship and interesting design. An LED lighting package can be ordered to up the tech factor, which is already high with the availability of an SDHC card reader, iPod integration, and an MMI navigation package that includes 20 gigs of music storage and Bluetooth connectivity. As on larger Audis, MMI-equipped A1s will have a knob that controls the infotainment functions. Two trim levels are on offer: Attraction and Ambition. The A1 Attraction is the base model, with 15-inch wheels, keyless entry, power mirrors and windows, and stability control. The Ambition adds sport seats, aluminum-look trim, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel, and it can also be outfitted with an S-line package that nabs a Sport suspension, 16- or 17-inch wheels, and even sportier seats. A few of the items on the A1’s options list looks like they were ganked from the A8, stuff like automatic high beams, rain-sensing wipers, a panoramic sunroof, keyless go, and heated side mirrors. Cruise control, heated seats, parking sensors, a 465-watt Bose stereo, and automatic climate control will be available, too.

The A1 will go on sale in Europe this summer as a three-door hatchback; a five-door is scheduled to join the lineup in 2011. The base price, Audi says, will be around €16,000, or roughly $22,000. There’s no word yet as to whether the A1 will be coming stateside, but Audi has left the door open during previous conversations. Could this little Audi work in the U.S.? We’re not sure, but with the Mini Cooper’s success and the Fiat 500 on the way, now would be a great time to find out.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/10q1/2011_audi_a1-official_photos_and_info
Old 02-18-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
This thing would be sweet with quattro... not that it would really have trouble putting 'power' down as is, hahaha.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
Shevon

Drives: Accord Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Did ford design this thing....
Shevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
vh_supra26
Site Moderator

I reminds me of the VW Beetle.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quite comical the double standard we have here. The power numbers resemble something eerily similar, yet this thing isn't getting blasted because of it. I will put my extra heavy flame suit on because I said I like it, but it's a neat little car for entry level buyers.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2KtoFT86 View Post
Quite comical the double standard we have here. The power numbers resemble something eerily similar, yet this thing isn't getting blasted because of it. I will put my extra heavy flame suit on because I said I like it, but it's a neat little car for entry level buyers.
Well, at least its not fugly.

And at least they're not trying to pass it off as a sports car.

All of that aside, I'm not exactly seeing any posts praising the car.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
MtnDrvr86

Drives: 2002 honda civic ex
if this car can actually compete with the mini then its all good. I would still choose a mini s over this, but it still looks good
MtnDrvr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

I'm not looking for any performance aspect out of this. It's an entry level car for students right out of college looking for something. They'll buy this and eventually move up the ladder as they get promoted and earn more money. I'm really liking the MPG numbers. 44-62 MPG is ridiculous for 23k, although I might be naive as there might be something out already comparable to that. Again, CR-Z discussions aside, this would be a fantastic DD, given the gas mileage.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #11
TheBigBadBanana
Insert clever title here.

Drives: 00 Celica GT-S/92 Supra Turbo
That's a pretty nice interior for a $22k car.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:05 AM   #12
I usually post drunk

Drives: BRZ
I've never seen a car that looks like this anywhere ever.

#87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2KtoFT86 View Post
I'm not looking for any performance aspect out of this. It's an entry level car for students right out of college looking for something. They'll buy this and eventually move up the ladder as they get promoted and earn more money. I'm really liking the MPG numbers. 44-62 MPG is ridiculous for 23k, although I might be naive as there might be something out already comparable to that. Again, CR-Z discussions aside, this would be a fantastic DD, given the gas mileage.
Hmm, somewhere in the article up there it said something about European MPG estimates being much less strict than our EPA's.

My guess is that 44 is much closer to what people will actually see, and 62 is a theoretical possibility given every component in the mileage estimate is favorable for MPG.

I mean, my Mk3 Supra got ~37 MPG for a good while when I drove it out to L.A. 5 years ago. Driving through west tennessee and into Arkansas before you hit the Ozarks or whatever they're called. Pretty flat land made it easy for CC to keep a constant speed. I was impressed!
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #14
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys View Post
Hmm, somewhere in the article up there it said something about European MPG estimates being much less strict than our EPA's.

My guess is that 44 is much closer to what people will actually see, and 62 is a theoretical possibility given every component in the mileage estimate is favorable for MPG.

I mean, my Mk3 Supra got ~37 MPG for a good while when I drove it out to L.A. 5 years ago. Driving through west tennessee and into Arkansas before you hit the Ozarks or whatever they're called. Pretty flat land made it easy for CC to keep a constant speed. I was impressed!
Dang, didn't realize you got that good gas mileage with a MK3 but that's very impressive. Even at 44 MPG, I'd be happy. I'm sure there are better things that 23k can be spent on and judging by the article, I bet fully loaded with the HID's and LED headlights, along with other features, this thing would come close to 28k. If I was going to spend that, there are other cars I would look at first.