follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2017, 01:43 AM   #1
JARE_ee
Alaska Roll Lover

Drives: Blue.Series.Aozora
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PEER CRITICISM

Hello everyone

I recently sold my automatic fr-s which i had since i was 22 years old. I found a buyer that was really interested in my car including mods. I was shopping around for other cars but I can't help but come back to this car. I am now in the process of buying a series blue brz.

I am 26 years old. I am getting a lot of push back from family and friends on this purchase because it is not practical, two seater (pretty much) , rear wheel (bad in the snow), and not professional. This would be my first manual car, and something i always wanted to learn. I will be buying this car regardless, but the push back and reasons i am getting aren't necessarily untruthful.

A lot of the criticism are:

"You are getting too old, you should be looking for something more practical."

"This car doesn't look professional.. you will look like still a young kid with a tuner car"

"You will regret it driving a manual car in the city"

"You won't survive in the winter"

"Why are you getting the same car, didnt you learn your lesson?"

I am sure there are many owners on this forum who can block this out because at the end of the day they know what they really want. But I would like to know what kind of criticism you had to deal with to purchase this car, a long with how to cope with these. Many of my friends are moving on and getting SUV, or like luxury sedans, and they think i am still silly going for these cars, and modding. I dont feel really old, but I don't think i am living in the past either. I feel like i can still drive this car up until my first child, which can be quite a while a way.

What are your thoughts owners? Did you get any criticism? I hate it when other try to push upon their right way of living onto you.
JARE_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:46 AM   #2
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JARE_ee View Post
Hello everyone

I recently sold my automatic fr-s which i had since i was 22 years old. I found a buyer that was really interested in my car including mods. I was shopping around for other cars but I can't help but come back to this car. I am now in the process of buying a series blue brz.

I am 26 years old. I am getting a lot of push back from family and friends on this purchase because it is not practical, two seater (pretty much, rear wheel (bad in the snow), and not professional. This would be my first manual car, and something i always wanted to learn. I will be buying this car regardless, but the push back and reasons i am getting are necessarily untruthful.

"This car doesn't look professional.. you will look like still a young kid with a tuner car"

I am sure there are many owners on this forum who can block this out because at the end of the day they know what they really want. But I would like to know what kind of criticism you had to deal with to purchase this car, a long with how to cope with these. Many of my friends are moving on and getting SUV, or like luxury sedans, and they think i am still silly going for these cars, and modding. I dont feel really old, but I don't think i am living in the past either. I feel like i can still drive this car up until my first child, which can be quite a while a way.

What are your thoughts owners? Did you get any criticism? I hate it when other try to push upon their right way of living onto you.
I didn't and probably wouldn't give a monkeys left tit if I had.
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scrappydoo For This Useful Post:
geezerbrzeezer (05-26-2017), gkubed (05-21-2017), soulreapersteve (05-22-2017), Ultramaroon (05-21-2017), wireman957 (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 02:01 AM   #3
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Lmfao! I bought this car when I was 52 yrs old. F'K what others say about it! When I bought my car my then GF said, "you gonna blow $30,000.00 on sports car. I broke up with her few months after I bought it. I say go for it and buy what you want as long as you can afford it and not have to rely on family to help you buy it.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
DandoX (05-22-2017), geezerbrzeezer (05-26-2017), Gunman (05-24-2017), Mchilese (05-27-2017), soulreapersteve (05-22-2017), Teseo (05-21-2017), TheBRZsKnees (05-21-2017), turtlefeeder (05-28-2017), why? (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 02:06 AM   #4
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Like you said, you are 26 years old. Why are you listening to other people?
If you like it enough, buy it.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-Sky For This Useful Post:
Crashdummy (05-22-2017), humfrz (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 02:11 AM   #5
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,539 Times in 18,937 Posts
Mentioned: 1108 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydoo View Post
I didn't and probably wouldn't give a monkeys left tit if I had.
/thread
Old 05-21-2017, 02:17 AM   #6
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
When I was a kid I had a classmate in like 1st grade who's dad had some little British roadster (baby blue, I want to say mk2 MG Midget), it was old when he was a youngin' and as far as I know he still drives that >50 year old car every day to work and back.

I bet he got a lot of shit too, but he looked happy as a clam driving down the road with the top down and his jaunty little hat for decades from his white collar job to his wife and two kids. I guess some people weren't taught many manners, some parents probably told their kids 'ew look at that honey let me explain why that's wrong' my parents said 'that man is very happy and proud of his little car, and that's a good thing'

It's your money (Hopefully).

As an aside, how did you survive the previous 4 winters with an FR-S? That seems like the dumbest comment of all of them...
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Sigh-on-Rice (05-24-2017), why? (05-21-2017), wireman957 (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 03:01 AM   #7
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,862 Times in 16,439 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Hello everyone

I am 26 years old. I am getting a lot of push back from family and friends on this purchase because it is not practical, two seater (pretty much) , rear wheel (bad in the snow), and not professional. This would be my first manual car, and something i always wanted to learn. I will be buying this car regardless, but the push back and reasons i am getting aren't necessarily untruthful.

"Why are you getting the same car, didnt you learn your lesson?"

First off, like @FR-Sky mentioned ...... you're 26 years old ...... nuff said bout that.

Too old ?.... hey, I'm 74 and I'm not too old .....

Not professional ? ..... if you don't do outlandish mods ..... it sorta looks like a more expensive sports car.

Bad in snow ? With proper snow tires, no worse than any 2 WD car.

No kids yet. So why do you need a back seat..??

A manual in the city? After a while, shifting will become "automatic".

You had that car before..?? So what, I had an NC Miata before ..... that don't mean I won't get another Miata (roadster) (but first I would have to get a younger wife .... ).

What criticism did I get..? None, mrs humfrz said fine, "as long as I don't have to drive it and you don't trade my car in for it".

As far as your friends moving into sedans and SUV's and think they are maturing ..... IMHO, it's how you drive ..... not what you drive that shows maturity.

Don't let others wreck up your enjoying your new car ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
86geek (05-21-2017), burningjello (05-23-2017), Crashdummy (05-22-2017), FR-Sky (05-21-2017), JARE_ee (05-21-2017), kakacarrotcake (05-23-2017), mizzta21 (05-23-2017), MuseChaser (05-21-2017), roddy (05-21-2017), soulreapersteve (05-22-2017), spike021 (05-21-2017), Teseo (05-21-2017), Ultramaroon (05-21-2017), why? (05-21-2017), wireman957 (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 03:30 AM   #8
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
First off, like @FR-Sky mentioned ...... you're 26 years old ...... nuff said bout that.

Too old ?.... hey, I'm 74 and I'm not too old .....

Not professional ? ..... if you don't do outlandish mods ..... it sorta looks like a more expensive sports car.

Bad in snow ? With proper snow tires, no worse than any 2 WD car.

No kids yet. So why do you need a back seat..??

A manual in the city? After a while, shifting will become "automatic".

You had that car before..?? So what, I had an NC Miata before ..... that don't mean I won't get another Miata (roadster) (but first I would have to get a younger wife .... ).

What criticism did I get..? None, mrs humfrz said fine, "as long as I don't have to drive it and you don't trade my car in for it".

As far as your friends moving into sedans and SUV's and think they are maturing ..... IMHO, it's how you drive ..... not what you drive that shows maturity.

Don't let others wreck up your enjoying your new car ......

humfrz
A manual in the city? After a while, shifting will become "automatic". (AGREE)
but first I would have to get a younger wife .... ). (AGREE x 2)
And the only criticism you get is from TCOAT, lol JK.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-Sky For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-21-2017), Tcoat (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 04:30 AM   #9
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,188 Times in 3,475 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Buy it because you like it and if you like it, you'll enjoy it.. who cares what your peers say.

In the UK there was a flip argument regards auto vs manuals as autos at one time were very rare and therefore were hit hard at the time of resale.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:58 AM   #10
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Anyone that tells you what to do isn't worth keeping in your life. It is just that simple. A car is about what you want. They have no idea what they are talking about.

Practical cars are for people with families. The BRZ is practical enough, it can fit tons of stuff. If you need a van you can rent one for a day for a hell of a lot less than wasting money dding a gas hog.

The word professional is so overused people have no idea what it means any more. I cannot tell you how many people love the look of these cars, people of all stripes.

Once you get used to a manual, it is so easy to drive, only lazy people say it is awful in the city. It is actually easier, in stop and go traffic you can simply use the clutch to move, and you don't have to worry about the transmission just going for the hell of it like in an auto.

And the same things that make the BRZ a great drivers car make it a great winter car. I drove through 3 literal white out blizzard conditions in my series.blue with general winter tires. My car was rock solid, and I was passing all the people in suv's and trucks because those morons had all season tires, not actual tires meant for the conditions they were driving through. It is your car, if people criticize you for buying it they are not worth ever talking to.

I didn't get criticism because people know I do what I choose, and I don't care what they think. The BRZ is a great choice because it looks good, handles great, and when you need to do long boring highway trips you can get great gas mileage. I moved from Mass to NC and I was able to get 39 mpg on the highway by going 5 below the entire way on cruise control. You just cannot beat that.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to why? For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #11
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,358 Times in 4,131 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Many of my friends are moving on and getting SUV, or like luxury sedans, and they think i am still silly going for these cars, and modding.
It sounds like some of your friends are getting old before their time.
Maybe, just maybe, they are a little envious of you that you still have some..... freedom....that you still haven't yet committed to their grind.

Small aside: I didn't realise I was getting old(er) until I turned 38.

Quote:
because at the end of the day they know what they really want.
I've owned my BRZ for 4 and a bit years and still get a small twinge of anticipation every time I walk towards it to drive.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
JARE_ee (05-21-2017), JD001 (05-21-2017), Ultramaroon (05-21-2017), wireman957 (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #12
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I bought a brz four years ago when i was 54.
When i get those comments , i explain that i still enjoy driving.
The journey as well as the destination should be fun and not boring.
No autonomous sat nav guided fwd suv for me.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan.chalkley For This Useful Post:
JARE_ee (05-21-2017), why? (05-22-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 07:56 AM   #13
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Why did you sell the frs?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:05 AM   #14
Esseff

Drives: 2017 BRZ Ltd White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ahhh... so where are you going to put your mountain bikes, windsurfers, camping gear, guitars n amps, fishing rods, sailing gear/tow the yacht, etc., etc.

Sports cars are for old farts that don't do fun stuff anymore (or who have a second suv for that).

Auto with paddle shifters... unbeatable!
Esseff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Esseff For This Useful Post:
Jaden (05-30-2017), MuseChaser (05-21-2017)