follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-08-2018, 08:27 PM   #1
incutebus

Drives: Boosted
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2018 Brz issues?

Hey guys, just picked up a new brz from a dealership and I'm not sure if this is common with these BRZ's or it's just mine in particular.

1) When I reverse out my RPM's are stable around 800-1000 depending on how much gas I give but occasionally my RPM would spike up to 1400 without a change in throttle and goes back down to whatever RPM I was at.

2) After shifting from the initial gear to the next, my throttle is like super sensitive like it jerks car even if I softly touch the throttle after letting go of the clutch completely(kinda like a RPM spike), I'd have to slip it into the next gear for it to not jerk. I haven't had this issue with any other car.

3) Really bad transmission noise; sounds like chains pulling when I'm in 2nd gear below 1200 rpm.
incutebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
It's kind of hard to picture your backing up rpm thing...

It can be jelly on upshifts at lower rpms. Take out the clutch assist spring to improve clutch feel and thus smooting upshifts. Also, if you're landing your shifts around the mid two thousand revs, yeah it can feel weird and take some practice, there's a big torque bump around there and it gives the throttle an unnatural feeling.

Yeah, the trans is def built loose. If you pay attention, idling hot in neutral you can sometimes hear the gears chattering.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
Aluma007

Drives: 2017 Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just test drove a limited brz and a Ts last saturday...The Ts was making clunking noises in 1st/2nd when the normal brz was smooth and great to shift. Try out a couple on the lot and see if they do the same thing.
Aluma007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #4
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
Yeah, the trans is def built loose. If you pay attention, idling hot in neutral you can sometimes hear the gears chattering.

Opposite cause, but the noise is definitely a thing. The manual transmission is built to rather close tolerances, which can make for finicky shifting when cold. And it always makes it a bit noisier (paired with the fact the car lets through a lot of road/transmission/wind noise to start... weight savings instead of sound deadening)

If you're used to a mechanical throttle, this car takes some getting used to in my experience.

Also, if the A/C is on, the engine can seem to surge now and again as the compressor engages.

That said, the OP symptoms sound off - can't tell if the description or the car is what's off though. Video could help.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:38 PM   #5
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
2018 Brz issues?

After an ECU reset the throttle response is super inconsistent for at lest 200miles (no that isn’t an exaggeration) while the ECU is in its learning phase. Sometimes the slightest throttle input leads to a big surge and other times it’s as if it’s ignoring your input completely. Makes it very difficult to drive smooth. I’ve never driven one off the showroom floor but I’ve always wondered how they could ever sell them brand new if they haven’t completed the learning phase yet.

Everyone complains about the clutch feel but every car has a slightly different feel to the clutch. The clutch is at least mechanical and therefore consistent so you adapt to it after 10 miles or so. It’s the erratic throttle response that messes with me the most on this car. Trust me, 200 miles in and it will settle down and driving smooth will not be an issue.

The tranny noise is a combination of virtually no sound deadening and the boxer engine sending pulses into the gear box. Boxers are vary rough at low RPMs due to their firing order which causes lots of chatter in the gear box. Throw a light flywheel on the car and it gets much worse. If you’re bothered by it then try to avoid anything under 2k unless you are very light on the throttle. Nothing is wrong with the engine/tranny though.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
humfrz (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #6
TheRealBFKR

Drives: '18 WRB BRZ Limited w/ PP
I think 3) is normal. My 2018 Limited and my friend's 2017 Limited both do that. As did my old 2006 NC Miata actually. On the Miata forums, some people were actually speculating that the noise is from the Limited Slip Diff. I am not sure what it is, but I don't worry about it.
TheRealBFKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:05 PM   #7
incutebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
After an ECU reset the throttle response is super inconsistent for at lest 200miles (no that isn’t an exaggeration) while the ECU is in its learning phase. Sometimes the slightest throttle input leads to a big surge and other times it’s as if it’s ignoring your input completely. Makes it very difficult to drive smooth. I’ve never driven one off the showroom floor but I’ve always wondered how they could ever sell them brand new if they haven’t completed the learning phase yet.

Everyone complains about the clutch feel but every car has a slightly different feel to the clutch. The clutch is at least mechanical and therefore consistent so you adapt to it after 10 miles or so. It’s the erratic throttle response that messes with me the most on this car. Trust me, 200 miles in and it will settle down and driving smooth will not be an issue.

The tranny noise is a combination of virtually no sound deadening and the boxer engine sending pulses into the gear box. Boxers are vary rough at low RPMs due to their firing order which causes lots of chatter in the gear box. Throw a light flywheel on the car and it gets much worse. If you’re bothered by it then try to avoid anything under 2k unless you are very light on the throttle. Nothing is wrong with the engine/tranny though.
I honestly think the throttle is the main issue here as well. The clutch feels fine, well, could have a little more feel but it's the sudden jolt in throttle that kills it for me as well.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #8
incutebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Opposite cause, but the noise is definitely a thing. The manual transmission is built to rather close tolerances, which can make for finicky shifting when cold. And it always makes it a bit noisier (paired with the fact the car lets through a lot of road/transmission/wind noise to start... weight savings instead of sound deadening)

If you're used to a mechanical throttle, this car takes some getting used to in my experience.

Also, if the A/C is on, the engine can seem to surge now and again as the compressor engages.

That said, the OP symptoms sound off - can't tell if the description or the car is what's off though. Video could help.
Idk.. may be a bit of both. I'll grab a video if it doesnt seem go go away within an additional 200 miles or so. I also have issues with car going into first as well lol, always gotta go into 1st twice for it to be smooth. Just gonna go ahead and assume trans fluid needs a change
Old 10-08-2018, 11:13 PM   #9
incutebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
It's kind of hard to picture your backing up rpm thing...

It can be jelly on upshifts at lower rpms. Take out the clutch assist spring to improve clutch feel and thus smooting upshifts. Also, if you're landing your shifts around the mid two thousand revs, yeah it can feel weird and take some practice, there's a big torque bump around there and it gives the throttle an unnatural feeling.

The clutch assist spring is for rev hang right?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:22 PM   #10
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by incutebus View Post
The clutch assist spring is for rev hang right?

No it’s just a spring that makes the clutch pedal a little softer and also helps it return to the very top. Most modern manuals have them these days. A lot of guys remove it to make the pedal stiffer. The spring has a pivot point where it goes from pushing the pedal down to pushing the pedal up. It’s this transition that makes it hard to feel the bite point. So a lot of guys remove the spring. I’ve run my car both ways and really don’t have a problem driving with or without the spring.

Rev hang is a software thing that lets the revs drop just enough for the next gear and then hang there for a sec. Thank god the BRZ doesn’t have this aid.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:28 PM   #11
incutebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
No it’s just a spring that makes the clutch pedal a little softer and also helps it return to the very top. Most modern manuals have them these days. A lot of guys remove it to make the pedal stiffer. The spring has a pivot point where it goes from pushing the pedal down to pushing the pedal up. It’s this transition that makes it hard to feel the bite point. So a lot of guys remove the spring. I’ve run my car both ways and really don’t have a problem driving with or without the spring.

Rev hang is a software thing that lets the revs drop just enough for the next gear and then hang there for a sec. Thank god the BRZ doesn’t have this aid.

I see, maybe I've been too used an nd miata that shifting in this brz feels weird and sluggish in comparison. Probably too used to having that super light weight fly wheel so it feels that the brz has rev hang.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #12
ermax

Quote:
I see, maybe I've been too used an nd miata that shifting in this brz feels weird and sluggish in comparison. Probably too used to having that super light weight fly wheel so it feels that the brz has rev hang.

OEM is 21lbs but aftermarket tunes can have a lot of influence on how fast the revs drop. Also the revs drop crazy slow at 2k and bellow and I think that has to do with idle control. It’s really annoying.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
incutebus (10-08-2018)
Old 10-08-2018, 11:44 PM   #13
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys, just picked up a new brz from a dealership and I'm not sure if this is common with these BRZ's or it's just mine in particular.

3) Really bad transmission noise; sounds like chains pulling when I'm in 2nd gear below 1200 rpm.
you are logging the engine badly at that rpm thou?

I think you should find another ppl with the 86 & have them drive your car so they can just tell you if there is anything wrong.

Everything you mention seem to be one of those things that ppl do complain about when they don't know what they are getting into.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:48 PM   #14
incutebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
you are logging the engine badly at that rpm thou.

I think you should find another ppl with the 86 & have them drive your car so they can just tell you if there is anything wrong.

Everything you mention seem to be one of those things that ppl do complain about when they don't know what they are getting into.
I'm assuming you meant to say lugging. I can't imagine I'd be lugging the engine at 400-500 above idle in second gear; sorry, I was trying to mention 2nd and not the other gears. I keep above 2k while driving and if I gotta get going I'll downshift.