follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 10-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #1681
Nitro22

Drives: Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffel View Post
Ah well, is what it is. I hesitate to call going with this kit a mistake. It's still the best put together FI kit I've seen in a while.

Some things I can recommend to anyone reading this for install or uninstall now or in the future:

- Use a different color fluid than blue in your supercharger. That way you know where to start looking when you have a leak.
- Put all hardware in plastic baggies and label them.
- Take note of what factory hoses went where, or you will be confused if you remove the supercharger.
- Dont get a fuel line popper. They suck and don't work anyway. Instead, shove a paper clip in each side of the quick correct to depress the internal tabs.
- When working with the fuel rails, connect the fuel crossover line (blue clips) to the rail first, then rotate the rail down onto the injectors. Trust me on this.
Sorry to hear the supercharger is'nt working out for ya. I've experienced the opposite with mine. No hesitation or idle problems. Throttle response and low-mid range torque is perfect for autocrossing. Delicious tune has a lot to do with this, however.

I agree most universal fuel line disconnect tools do not work well. The one I have from Company 23 is made for subaru's and works like a charm. More expensive than paper clips, but worth getting in my opinion.
Nitro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nitro22 For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-05-2016), mitch t (10-06-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #1682
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonscool View Post
Your problem is most likely your bypass valve. I had the same codes and idling issues and had the valve replaced under Edelbrock warranty and it fixed it no problem.

Below ive posted a video of my car that points to whether or not your valve is leaking.

https://www.facebook.com/nwiebmer/vi...4411980792329/

@taiguy
Going to pay attention to that area once I have some time to throw at the car again.

In case it is the bypass valve - how hard is it to swap it out?
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #1683
taiguy

Drives: 2013 Black BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro22 View Post
I agree most universal fuel line disconnect tools do not work well. The one I have from Company 23 is made for subaru's and works like a charm. More expensive than paper clips, but worth getting in my opinion.
Will second this and say the Company 23 fuel line disconnect tool worked well for me too.
taiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taiguy For This Useful Post:
Nitro22 (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 12:59 PM   #1684
Nitro22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Bummer, sucks that you were having trouble with it. I've been taking note on your uninstall since I might be parting out my car, but for an entirely different reason. Love the car with it, but the family is growing and may have to move up to 4 doors.
Say it isn't so! If you need a car with 4 doors I would be under the philosophy of "in addition to" instead of "in lieu of". =)
The Following User Says Thank You to Nitro22 For This Useful Post:
Calum (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #1685
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Sorry to hear the supercharger is'nt working out for ya. I've experienced the opposite with mine. No hesitation or idle problems. Throttle response and low-mid range torque is perfect for autocrossing. Delicious tune has a lot to do with this, however.

Yeah these work too but the zip tie trick is just as fast and costs a few pennies. And I don't have to get it shipped.

I pulled a stupid last night. Finished the work and went to test start, but didn't put it 100% back together. I left the DI injector controller unbolted and the car wouldn't start and I couldn't figure out why for like 30 minutes. Then I realized it gets its ground from the bracket it's bolted to.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #1686
caschnd1

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Say it isn't so! If you need a car with 4 doors I would be under the philosophy of "in addition to" instead of "in lieu of". =)

All the kids in our house are grown and gone. It's still nice to have the 4 door option. So I drive a 2016 STi and my wife has the supercharged BRZ. Either one is fun to drive

-Craig
The Following User Says Thank You to caschnd1 For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #1687
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
My family car is a 2 door Golf. My kids are only 5 and 7.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:38 PM   #1688
Nitro22

Quote:
Originally Posted by caschnd1 View Post
All the kids in our house are grown and gone. It's still nice to have the 4 door option. So I drive a 2016 STi and my wife has the supercharged BRZ. Either one is fun to drive
-Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
My family car is a 2 door Golf. My kids are only 5 and 7.
My other semi-daily driver is a Honda Fit and my wife has a BMW X1 so we're good to go. My daughter is only 3 but I keep a car seat in the back of the FR-S for when I need to pick her up from school. I only remove it when I go autocross.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nitro22 For This Useful Post:
Calum (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #1689
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ya, very sad but got my priorities straight... In an ideal world, that would be the case, I'd keep the BRZ for the weekends and have a DD car, but unfortunately, having 2 cars is just not in the cards right now. On the other hand, it will just have to be a fun sedan! I'll be checking out a local Focus RS that the original customer passed on the order this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caschnd1 View Post
I'm actually also shopping around for an STI since the RS markups have been ridiculous.

Quote:
My other semi-daily driver is a Honda Fit and my wife has a BMW X1 so we're good to go. My daughter is only 3 but I keep a car seat in the back of the FR-S for when I need to pick her up from school. I only remove it when I go autocross.
Ya, I also have a car seat in the rear passenger that works just fine with my 2 yo, but don't think having her behind me and a baby seat next to her is feasible.

Not to go too far off topic, I did flash to the latest CARB tune from Edelbrock and first impressions: I can't tell the difference lol. I think there is a hint of hesitation here and there, but I positive that is due to the pedal learning and will probably go away after I've driven it some more. Either way, I'll be keeping this in my back pocket when the time comes and switch back to the DT tune since I already have the D-box.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
Nitro22 (10-05-2016), TofuJoe (10-05-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #1690
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Ya, very sad but got my priorities straight... In an ideal world, that would be the case, I'd keep the BRZ for the weekends and have a DD car, but unfortunately, having 2 cars is just not in the cards right now. On the other hand, it will just have to be a fun sedan! I'll be checking out a local Focus RS that the original customer passed on the order this week.

I'm actually also shopping around for an STI since the RS markups have been ridiculous.

Ya, I also have a car seat in the rear passenger that works just fine with my 2 yo, but don't think having her behind me and a baby seat next to her is feasible.

Not to go too far off topic, I did flash to the latest CARB tune from Edelbrock and first impressions: I can't tell the difference lol. I think there is a hint of hesitation here and there, but I positive that is due to the pedal learning and will probably go away after I've driven it some more. Either way, I'll be keeping this in my back pocket when the time comes and switch back to the DT tune since I already have the D-box.
Same here, I keep a seat on the passenger side for one kid. But there's no way in hell to get two in there. Not unless you're about 4 foot fuck all and sit with your lips on the steering wheel.

Good luck with the new car.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calum For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (10-06-2016)
Old 10-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #1691
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Update 10/5/16 - The hesitation between 3-4k rpm is definitely noticeable through all the gears now that I paid more attention. Looks like I'm experiencing something similar to what @switchlanez did with his EO tune. At cold start, I got some idle dipping low enough that it sounded like the engine was going to stall. It also happened a couple of times when warm, which surprised me. The EO tune 'feels' more responsive than the original tune, and I'd like it better if not for the hesitation during harder acceleration. Note that there was no hesitation with the original tune. I've shared this info with Edelbrock.

Last edited by shiumai; 10-05-2016 at 10:58 PM.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:57 PM   #1692
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has anyone been experimenting with lowering the a/w intercooler temps or IATs with this kit? I'm consistently seeing IAT of about 35 Deg F above ambient as recorded by the ECU when at normal operating temps. Thought about setting up a misting system or moving my oil cooler, though I don't want to cutout my fog light area for the coolers. Not sure a misting system would actually help that much either.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #1693
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
Has anyone been experimenting with lowering the a/w intercooler temps or IATs with this kit? I'm consistently seeing IAT of about 35 Deg F above ambient as recorded by the ECU when at normal operating temps. Thought about setting up a misting system or moving my oil cooler, though I don't want to cutout my fog light area for the coolers. Not sure a misting system would actually help that much either.
I'm seeing about the same IATs as you; typically 30 deg F over ambient (based on my vent gauge plugged into the OBD2 port). i was kicking around the nutty idea of 'what would happen if someone reroutes the passenger-side air conditioning vent into the air intake?' if you normally drive with the AC on.

Last edited by shiumai; 10-06-2016 at 02:39 PM.
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 02:34 PM   #1694
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Using an ideal mix of distilled water and antifreeze might help. Cosworth recommend 25% ethylene glycol I believe.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (10-06-2016), BigFatFlip (10-06-2016)