follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-24-2023, 04:11 PM   #1
grippgoat

Drives: 2023 BRZ, 2018 Golf R 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Giant side mirrors

Can we talk about how huge the side mirrors are?

I'm sitting quite low now with a race seat, but even with the stock seats, I found that they take up the entire "look ahead in the corner" area. I'm not sure sitting higher would help, and I do like to be low. I'm probably the heaviest thing in the car next to the engine.

Were 1st gen mirrors this big?

I know APR aero mirrors are an option, but it's nice to be able to dip the passenger mirror down once in a while when parking. I'm also not sure I want to go _that_ small, and convex.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 09:49 AM   #2
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,269 Times in 2,967 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Can we talk about how huge the side mirrors are?

I'm sitting quite low now with a race seat, but even with the stock seats, I found that they take up the entire "look ahead in the corner" area. I'm not sure sitting higher would help, and I do like to be low. I'm probably the heaviest thing in the car next to the engine.

Were 1st gen mirrors this big?

I know APR aero mirrors are an option, but it's nice to be able to dip the passenger mirror down once in a while when parking. I'm also not sure I want to go _that_ small, and convex.

-Mike
Similar issue with 1st gen and lowered seat position. Love everything about it on my car except that the side mirror is big and right where I'm looking a lot of the time.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
grippgoat (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 09:06 AM   #3
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I didn't consciously notice the problem before the thread...

The mirrors are big and when combined with really large A-pillars you do loose a lot of visibility at the 10~11:00 positions on the car. On an autocross course, I'm constantly moving and trying to look around them.

On the flip-side, since I also daily the car I appreciate the size and position of the mirrors. I can quickly glance at them when getting SA in traffic. My wife's car has pretty small mirrors which sit low on the doors. This makes outward visibility better, but the mirrors are far less functional.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote