follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #29
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borchert97 View Post
4. Yes, the Pioneer AVIC NEX systems will fit in these cars fine with the proper harness and wiring. I'd personally recommend the 8200 or 8201 since they have a capacitive touch screen which, to put it simply, is like a smartphone or tablet in terms of responsiveness and accuracy. The reason I recommend Pioneer is because the stock headunit already is Pioneer so it makes sense that another one would be the most compatible.

You can check this link and put in your car and it'll show you all of what you'll need to fit it properly: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130820...C-8200NEX.html
If I can jump in and ask a couple questions...

The install package says it doesn't support bluetooth. Does that mean bluetooth doesn't work, or that it's not necessary for the install package?

Also, I don;t see any information on the backup camera. How can I tellif that's supported?

I absolutely loathe the head unit in my 86. It's the only thing about this car I don't love. I desperately want to swap it out, but I'm really cautious - and I need the bluetooth and backup camera.

Thanks
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:50 PM   #30
Ron B Avery

Drives: 2017 86 Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRokuX View Post
Hey guys, I just want to say thank you for your help..it's nice to see different perspectives. I've actually been unsure that I'm going to keep this car long term, tbh. I think I'm going to keep the stock springs, radio, exhaust and sway bars for now. I've been driving around a lot more lately, and you guys were right, the car is fine in stock form. I've never been in a situation where I *needed* better handling, especially around town. The radio doesn't have carplay, but overall, it's fine. I hardly ever mess with/look at the radio or my phone while driving, so do I really need carplay? That's just another expense.

EDIT: I think what makes me unsure about keeping it is the lack of "easy" power. Yes, you can already exceed the speed limit (in most places) in 1st or 2nd gear, but maybe I was expecting a bigger jump in torque from my previous FWD (pig) SUV. Revving to 7000+ rpm gets kind of old after the first month or so...just my opinion.

I really appreciate the offer, I may keep the bumper but I'll let you know if I finally get sick of it. I might even just get the 2017 BRZ bumper at some point and offer it up for sale at a low price. Again, I'll let you know.

Thanks Tcoat, I won't mess with the engine until the warranty is up.

It's nice to see some mods are out there already, but I think these lip kits just accentuate the weird bumper face even more. This is really silly but I've been looking at a lot of car's front bumpers lately and I think most cars have a funny looking "face" on the front if you look closely enough, even the original FRS. Maybe I just need to chill.

Thanks man, I appreciate you giving your input. Please let me know if you end up getting the Jackson SC kit, I'd love to know how it goes.

About the Pioneer headunit.. why did you need a new mic? My understanding is that there is a mic mounted from the factory right above the driver's seat. There's no way to connect the headunit to the factory mic?
I will let everyone know if I go forward with JR mod. I don't know why the installer used a new mic. Yes there is a factory mic. All I know is it works great. The improvement in the new head unit over factory his huge. In both sound and
Functionality.

Ron
Old 06-06-2017, 05:00 PM   #31
Borchert97

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
If I can jump in and ask a couple questions...

The install package says it doesn't support bluetooth. Does that mean bluetooth doesn't work, or that it's not necessary for the install package?

Also, I don;t see any information on the backup camera. How can I tellif that's supported?

I absolutely loathe the head unit in my 86. It's the only thing about this car I don't love. I desperately want to swap it out, but I'm really cautious - and I need the bluetooth and backup camera.

Thanks
If I'm looking at this correctly, it appears that you're correct and that bluetooth is not supported, to me it's not such a big deal since I'd be plugged in to use CarPlay anyways, and the backup camera can be retained. It'll wire into the new headunit much in the same way it does in the current one, I'm pretty sure anyways.
Borchert97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #32
michaelchatten

Drives: 2016 FR-S RS 2.0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Sent you a PM. I have a set of the RS 2.0 TRD Rims with tires I'd sell you for way cheaper.
michaelchatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:30 PM   #33
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
don't need to spent money on US TRD parts. Yes even that intake. * Thou I have that intake.

Spent money on some other quality aftermarket product or JDM TRD/STI parts....
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #34
bkharmony

Drives: 2017 86GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borchert97 View Post
If I'm looking at this correctly, it appears that you're correct and that bluetooth is not supported, to me it's not such a big deal since I'd be plugged in to use CarPlay anyways, and the backup camera can be retained. It'll wire into the new headunit much in the same way it does in the current one, I'm pretty sure anyways.
So I waited for a while and finally got a live chat with someone at Crutchfield. He told me that the factory bluetooth wouldn't work with that unit, but it doesn't matter because the unit has its own bluetooth.

However, he said the factory backup camera would not work. I asked him if there are any units out there that would supprot the factory camera, and he said no.

Really sucks, because I consider that camera a deal-breaker, but I'm also about to put a crowbar through this crappy factory unit.
bkharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #35
Borchert97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkharmony View Post
So I waited for a while and finally got a live chat with someone at Crutchfield. He told me that the factory bluetooth wouldn't work with that unit, but it doesn't matter because the unit has its own bluetooth.

However, he said the factory backup camera would not work. I asked him if there are any units out there that would supprot the factory camera, and he said no.

Really sucks, because I consider that camera a deal-breaker, but I'm also about to put a crowbar through this crappy factory unit.
He must've been mistaken then, because here someone who installed this claims that the other items Crutchfield offers to go with the headunit allow for near-full compatibility of everything.

Although even if that ends up not being the case, I'm sure a reputable car electronics store could achieve compatibility with damn near anything.
Borchert97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:36 AM   #36
StrangeLove4791

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datcrazyeric View Post
The TRD Springs will remove the wheel gap and also depending on how you sit make it easier to get out of car, I have Megan springs on my car and I'm either jumping out of the car when I park and trying not to bang my ear against the car when I get in. Tcoat gave a pretty good suggestion on the suspension.

I have the TRD 2.0 wheels on my car and they are pretty durable and like others have mentioned Forged wheels. The choice is yours on what you want to get since it is your own vehicle and the style is your own.
Just curious...did you buy the TRD 2.0 wheels from Toyota or a 3rd party?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
StrangeLove4791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #37
Datcrazyeric
gotta go slower

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeLove4791 View Post
Just curious...did you buy the TRD 2.0 wheels from Toyota or a 3rd party?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Toyota
StrangeLove4791 (06-16-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #38
HachiRokuX

I want to upgrade my 86 and have a few questions.

Hey everyone, I'm back with more questions. I decided that I will keep the car for now because I'm in too deep and have started spending money on accessories

I just bought the TRD lowering springs and was wondering if I should get someone to install that for me or try it myself? I've never worked on a car suspension before. The dealership closest to me charges $1200 which is obviously a garbage estimate.

Second, I'm deciding on an exhaust and was wondering if I should get the borla or magnaflow exhaust..I don't know of any meets around me so I don't have a chance to sample them. I heard the borla cat back had issues with the tips staying aligned for some reason.

Third, I know I already asked this, but is the 2017 BRZ bumper a straight swap with the 2017 Toyota 86 version? They both have the headlight/turn signal integrated into the headlight but the Toyota headlight shape seems slightly different. Has anyone done this exact swap with no issues?

Lastly, I was wondering how much lowering springs and the TRD 18" wheels would affect the ride/acceleration. If I go for the 18" TRD wheels, they are heavier and have expensive tires. If I go for the 17" wheels, I can keep my stock tires for now and have wheels that weigh less.

I'm basically deciding between these two looks. Thanks again guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #39
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Quote:
Hey everyone, I'm back with more questions. I decided that I will keep the car for now because I'm in too deep and have started spending money on accessories

I just bought the TRD lowering springs and was wondering if I should get someone to install that for me or try it myself? I've never worked on a car suspension before. The dealership closest to me charges $1200 which is obviously a garbage estimate.

Second, I'm deciding on an exhaust and was wondering if I should get the borla or magnaflow exhaust..I don't know of any meets around me so I don't have a chance to sample them. I heard the borla cat back had issues with the tips staying aligned for some reason.

Third, I know I already asked this, but is the 2017 BRZ bumper a straight swap with the 2017 Toyota 86 version? They both have the headlight/turn signal integrated into the headlight but the Toyota headlight shape seems slightly different. Has anyone done this exact swap with no issues?

Lastly, I was wondering how much lowering springs and the TRD 18" wheels would affect the ride/acceleration. If I go for the 18" TRD wheels, they are heavier and have expensive tires. If I go for the 17" wheels, I can keep my stock tires for now and have wheels that weigh less.

I'm basically deciding between these two looks. Thanks again guys.

Why did you buy an 86 if you wanted the BRZ front. They are like the same price
Old 07-25-2017, 10:27 PM   #40
HachiRokuX

I want to upgrade my 86 and have a few questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTom View Post
Why did you buy an 86 if you wanted the BRZ front. They are like the same price

The front is okay and is growing on me as time goes, but the comments/laughs are honestly just annoying at this point. One guy stuck his face out at the front bumper and tried to match the uggo face in passing. Ugh, lol. I'm just weighing my options if I do decide to tear it off and go with something less.."aggressive", something that blends in a little more (though, no version of this car blend in with SUV econoboxes or even sports/muscle cars).

HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:30 PM   #41
Sapphireho
helmholtz resonator

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,318 Times in 8,648 Posts
Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quote:

It will have a slightly more ridged ride and handle a bunch better. You do not have a setup, or doing the activities where wheel weight would be any factor at all.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:39 PM   #42
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Quote:
The front is okay and is growing on me as time goes, but the comments/laughs are honestly just annoying at this point. One guy stuck his face out at the front bumper and tried to match the uggo face in passing. Ugh, lol. I'm just weighing my options if I do decide to tear it off and go with something less.."aggressive", something that blends in a little more (though, no version of this car blend in with SUV econoboxes or even sports/muscle cars).

That sucks Ive gotten nothing but compliments and positive reaction in person on mine.