follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #15
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ill throw my two cents in to the pot here.

I'm only going to touch on a couple of things here as most has already been addressed.

As far as TRD suspension package you speak of, the only thing I would suggest is the springs and even that is a stretch. The TRD springs were made for the stock struts and will have very minimal impact as far as strut life. With that said there are many other choices out there for a nice drop and good performance that is cheaper then the TRD springs. As far as the sway bars, for a car that will never see the track they are useless to change out. The car is setup pretty well form the factory with a few compromises here and there. So drive the car for a while get it through some hills and back county and see how it feels.

The TRD exhaust is over priced. There are many other cheaper and just as good choices out there for you to choose from. A side note for now, there is no axle back that are a complete bolt on for the 17s but cat backs will fit fine.

I will say this though, the good thing about going with TRD is it is backed by Toyota and as long as you follow their instructions it doesn't affect warranty if anything goes wrong.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KnightRyderx2 For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #16
NyC Zn6

Drives: 10 Series #974 6m/t
Thanked 1,141 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
OP anything TRD will be overpriced.
NyC Zn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NyC Zn6 For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:17 AM   #17
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks Tcoat and humfrz, I just remembered watching savageese's FRS supercharger videos and how much of a headache it was for him..it's just better to buy a car that is faster from the factory than mess with this engine. That leads me to another question though, I still have a long time before my warranty runs out..is there anything I can do to make the car a little bit faster without ruining the engine/warranty? I've read that adding a header, tune, and slightly better exhaust might wake the car up a little bit. I think the tune might void the warranty, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borchert97 View Post

Yes, the Pioneer AVIC NEX systems will fit in these cars fine with the proper harness and wiring. I'd personally recommend the 8200 or 8201 since they have a capacitive touch screen which, to put it simply, is like a smartphone or tablet in terms of responsiveness and accuracy. The reason I recommend Pioneer is because the stock headunit already is Pioneer so it makes sense that another one would be the most compatible.

You can check this link and put in your car and it'll show you all of what you'll need to fit it properly: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130820...C-8200NEX.html
Very cool, I think I like this system the most so far since it has HD Radio, Satellite radio capability, and HDMI/SD/DVD/CD functionality. I was also looking at the Alphine 107 radio (which isn't out yet) that comes with wireless carplay but I'm not sure how trustworthy the company is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
Yup, for TRD catback exhaust $1100-$1300 is pricey. When I got my car the dealership told me for that price to get a better aftermarket brand catback exhaust. I waited a year before I bought a 2.5 Perrin resonated catback which cost me $950.00 shipped. It's loud when it needs to be & cold start is loud for maybe a minute or so. If & when I decide on a UEL header & tune, it won't be hella loud compared to other catback exhausts.

If loud sound is what you want get a Invidia N1 which is low cost about $600- $700. Hella LOUD is Tomei catbacks!
Join up with your local FT86 club and you can listen to other exhaust systems.
Cool, I will look into local 86 clubs! I hear the Borla exhaust is pretty good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post

You could always swap over a BRZ bumper cover.
I think my only concern is that the headlight area won't match up.
HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HachiRokuX For This Useful Post:
Darkrune (06-09-2017), humfrz (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:37 AM   #18
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRokuX View Post
Thanks Tcoat and humfrz, I just remembered watching savageese's FRS supercharger videos and how much of a headache it was for him..it's just better to buy a car that is faster from the factory than mess with this engine. That leads me to another question though, I still have a long time before my warranty runs out..is there anything I can do to make the car a little bit faster without ruining the engine/warranty? I've read that adding a header, tune, and slightly better exhaust might wake the car up a little bit. I think the tune might void the warranty, though.

Very cool, I think I like this system the most so far since it has HD Radio, Satellite radio capability, and HDMI/SD/DVD/CD functionality. I was also looking at the Alphine 107 radio (which isn't out yet) that comes with wireless carplay but I'm not sure how trustworthy the company is.

Cool, I will look into local 86 clubs! I hear the Borla exhaust is pretty good too.

I think my only concern is that the headlight area won't match up.
The header and tune will probably give you the best bang for your buck with the least headaches.
But...
Anything you do to the engine may be used against you in a warranty situation. Not saying it will but they can try to deny coverage under specific conditions and in some cases they may be right. Look at it from the manufacturers point of view. They built the car to certain specs and with engineering to meet them. Once changed then why should they be responsible if they broke something?
humfrz (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #19
Anthonyc77

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 Halo
Besides swapping a brz bumper or seeing if the older bumpers fit, Modellista and TRD offer lips that might look a bit better than stock to you.

Anthonyc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #20
lantsalot
Derp

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I personally got the TRD springs for mine for a few reasons
  • Could not stand the stock wheel gap
  • TRD springs were a subtle drop that didn't run the risk of rubbing, needing to camber or significantly decrease the life of other suspension parts
  • No issues with future warranty work (which at the time was important to me since I still had warranty and I didn't want to deal with any potential BS)
  • They were actually pretty affordable (~$240 i believe?)

You would get more use out of them if you were to track the car, but honestly if you're going to track the car you probably want a more legitimate setup than just TRD springs. Just my .02.

If you'd like to see the drop from the springs, here are some before / after pictures on an otherwise stock setup : http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ht=trd+springs
lantsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lantsalot For This Useful Post:
HKz (06-01-2017), Tcoat (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #21
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Dealership told me aftermarket catback exhaust is okay but anything from the header on will void power train warranty.
Open Flash Tablet can flash back to the stock tune.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86geek For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (06-07-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #22
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
-Some light inexpensive wheels from Konig either Hypergram or Rennform or Ultraform(look kinda like Performance Pack Wheels but light)

- Really like my 86 front end. When lowered makes the car appear wider. Old FRS looks pointy but not bad, and Brz has dumb Charlie chaplin mustache
Old 06-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #23
Ron B Avery

Drives: 2017 86 Coupe
Quote:
Thanks, guys! I had a feeling that the TRD parts were essentially a rip off/waste of time. The main reason I wanted to lower the car was to get rid of that wheel gap a little bit, if I'm being honest. I think I'll just add a spoiler and the factory arm rest for now, I can tell it's gonna be a while before I finally settle on an exhaust or wheels. All of the tips mentioned were really helpful though.

Lol at that pic, Shinigami. I think the front end looks okay in the right light, but sometimes it looks pretty bad.. I know why I get lots of laughs in passing. Still an amazing car to drive!

I only have one more question for now.

6. How much will the reliability take a hit if I add a supercharger and surely you would have to upgrade the cooling etc too? Seems like it would be super expensive..I already paid $25K so another $5-6K would put it in another tier of pricing..
You and I have the same questions, and the Same color 86.
I had the TRD springs installed. The cars ride quality does not suffer at all. It just feels more tied down, and it looks better.
I was thinking of the TRD exhaust as well. But the price was way to much.
I had a Magnaflow cat back exhaust system installed. It was around $750 installed, and is the same construction as the TRD, only the tips are different.
The head unit I had replaced with a Pioner that has Apple car play. I had to get the correct wiring harness adapter to work with the car. Also some little side trim to fill the gap on the sides of the head unit ( it is about 1/8" smaller on each side). You will also need a new mic for the blue tooth phone.
The sound quality and functionality are much better thank the stock system.
I did consider the Toyota Nav unite, but at a price of $1000 installed and the fact that it was back ordered indefinitely help make my decision.
I am also looking into the Jackson racing Supercharger kit. Not only is it a well-developed kit but it is also carb approved which means it'll pass smog in my state. It also produces a realistic improvement in torque and horsepower without overstressing the other components in the car.
I hope all of this helps. There are photos of my car in another section on this site.
Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron B Avery For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (06-05-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #24
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,134 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
i had the stock ride height with my first 86 while my current one has the trd lowering springs and i can tell you the springs do indeed affect the ride a bit, speedbumps and bad roads feel noticeably rougher but it doesn't kill the ride. if you don't care about the wheel gap i would avoid the springs

Last edited by HKz; 06-02-2017 at 02:41 PM.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (06-05-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #25
SuperTom

Drives: C5 Corvette, '17 Toyota 86, Jeep XJ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Have modded many cars over the years I always now skip springs and go straight to coilovers. Usually ride better and love being able to set the height exactly. Heres MeisterR coilovers that are just as comfortable as my new stock takeoffs.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:23 PM   #26
Datcrazyeric
gotta go slower

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The TRD Springs will remove the wheel gap and also depending on how you sit make it easier to get out of car, I have Megan springs on my car and I'm either jumping out of the car when I park and trying not to bang my ear against the car when I get in. Tcoat gave a pretty good suggestion on the suspension.

I have the TRD 2.0 wheels on my car and they are pretty durable and like others have mentioned Forged wheels. The choice is yours on what you want to get since it is your own vehicle and the style is your own.
HachiRokuX (06-05-2017), Tcoat (06-02-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #27
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hey guys, I just want to say thank you for your help..it's nice to see different perspectives. I've actually been unsure that I'm going to keep this car long term, tbh. I think I'm going to keep the stock springs, radio, exhaust and sway bars for now. I've been driving around a lot more lately, and you guys were right, the car is fine in stock form. I've never been in a situation where I *needed* better handling, especially around town. The radio doesn't have carplay, but overall, it's fine. I hardly ever mess with/look at the radio or my phone while driving, so do I really need carplay? That's just another expense.

EDIT: I think what makes me unsure about keeping it is the lack of "easy" power. Yes, you can already exceed the speed limit (in most places) in 1st or 2nd gear, but maybe I was expecting a bigger jump in torque from my previous FWD (pig) SUV. Revving to 7000+ rpm gets kind of old after the first month or so...just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackizzle86 View Post
I have an Oceanic '16. I'd trade bumpers with you.
I really appreciate the offer, I may keep the bumper but I'll let you know if I finally get sick of it. I might even just get the 2017 BRZ bumper at some point and offer it up for sale at a low price. Again, I'll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
The header and tune will probably give you the best bang for your buck with the least headaches.
But...
Anything you do to the engine may be used against you in a warranty situation. Not saying it will but they can try to deny coverage under specific conditions and in some cases they may be right. Look at it from the manufacturers point of view. They built the car to certain specs and with engineering to meet them. Once changed then why should they be responsible if they broke something?
Thanks Tcoat, I won't mess with the engine until the warranty is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonyc77 View Post
Besides swapping a brz bumper or seeing if the older bumpers fit, Modellista and TRD offer lips that might look a bit better than stock to you.

It's nice to see some mods are out there already, but I think these lip kits just accentuate the weird bumper face even more. This is really silly but I've been looking at a lot of car's front bumpers lately and I think most cars have a funny looking "face" on the front if you look closely enough, even the original FRS. Maybe I just need to chill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron B Avery View Post
You and I have the same questions, and the Same color 86.
I had the TRD springs installed. The cars ride quality does not suffer at all. It just feels more tied down, and it looks better.
I was thinking of the TRD exhaust as well. But the price was way to much.
I had a Magnaflow cat back exhaust system installed. It was around $750 installed, and is the same construction as the TRD, only the tips are different.
The head unit I had replaced with a Pioner that has Apple car play. I had to get the correct wiring harness adapter to work with the car. Also some little side trim to fill the gap on the sides of the head unit ( it is about 1/8" smaller on each side). You will also need a new mic for the blue tooth phone.
The sound quality and functionality are much better thank the stock system.
I did consider the Toyota Nav unite, but at a price of $1000 installed and the fact that it was back ordered indefinitely help make my decision.
I am also looking into the Jackson racing Supercharger kit. Not only is it a well-developed kit but it is also carb approved which means it'll pass smog in my state. It also produces a realistic improvement in torque and horsepower without overstressing the other components in the car.
I hope all of this helps. There are photos of my car in another section on this site.
Ron
Thanks man, I appreciate you giving your input. Please let me know if you end up getting the Jackson SC kit, I'd love to know how it goes.

About the Pioneer headunit.. why did you need a new mic? My understanding is that there is a mic mounted from the factory right above the driver's seat. There's no way to connect the headunit to the factory mic?
HachiRokuX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:30 PM   #28
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,482 Times in 5,000 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Revving to 7000+ rpm gets kind of old after the first month or so...just my opinion.
Unless you swap the engine that will always be the case with this car.

Some people love wringing out an engine, others loathe it. This car was built for the former, that breaks the appeal for a lot of people and there's no shame in it.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (06-06-2017), Tcoat (06-06-2017)