follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
RR Racing
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #1
jrb363
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Location: Nashville
Posts: 32
Thanks: 58
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Supra...killing the 86/BRZ?

With the announcement of a 'low powered' Supra is there a chance it could kill our beloved 86?

The 86/BRZ are quickly closing in on $30k base, at least in my area, and if they can release a $35k Supra that has higher tier/price options and trims and more well known/respected name...well, what's their reason to keep the aging 86 platform alive?

Toyota/Subaru all but ignore it as it is...is this the death sign or will the 86 live to see a second generation?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jrb363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
HKz
Reformed
 
HKz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: '13 Hot Lava AT RIP & '16 Steel MT
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 867
Thanks: 754
Thanked 602 Times in 360 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
boring day at work?
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (02-08-2019), JohnJuan (01-16-2019), wbradley (02-08-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 56,691
Thanks: 50,308
Thanked 79,378 Times in 35,851 Posts
Mentioned: 2052 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Half the people buying the 86 new have to scrape together the money from their allowances. I don't see any impact at from a car that almost doubles the price. Two different target demographics.

They have ALWAYS appeared to ignore it this is not new.

Oh and please link to the announcement of a "low powered" Supra release in the USA. And I mean something from a Toyota site not carclickbait.com.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
8RZ (01-16-2019), FRSBRZGT86FAN (02-07-2019), KR-S 86 (01-17-2019), mgarcia707 (01-15-2019), soulreapersteve (01-21-2019), Stephen W. (01-15-2019), Summerwolf (01-15-2019), wbradley (02-08-2019), why? (01-16-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator
 
Dave-ROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Drives: Stuff
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,524
Thanks: 721
Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,219 Posts
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
LOLOLOLOLOLOL
Half the people buying the 86 new have to scrape together the money from their allowances. I don't see any impact at from a car that almost doubles the price. Two different target demographics.

They have ALWAYS appeared to ignore it this is not new.

Oh and please link to the announcement of a "low powered" Supra release in the USA. And I mean something from a Toyota site not carclickbait.com.
My internal Toyota sources (sorry I can't provide a name) provided proof that the OP's assumptions are 100% accurate.

Sorry @Tcoat.
__________________
-Dave
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback || Oh yeah and a 2013 Scion FR-S too..

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #5
DandoX
Senior gif poster
 
DandoX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Location: Ca, SoCal
Posts: 835
Thanks: 543
Thanked 592 Times in 339 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
With the announcement of a 'low powered' Supra is there a chance it could kill our beloved 86?

The 86/BRZ are quickly closing in on $30k base, at least in my area, and if they can release a $35k Supra that has higher tier/price options and trims and more well known/respected name...well, what's their reason to keep the aging 86 platform alive?

Toyota/Subaru all but ignore it as it is...is this the death sign or will the 86 live to see a second generation?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#1 It was never announced the 4 cylinder engine will be coming to the USA. Nor has any price for that engine config been released.


#2 the price for the base Supra is 49k with no mark up, and you bet your ass there will be dealer mark up. So more like 54kish. So even if they sold the 'base' model in the US for 49k that would still be 14k more than the 35k BRZ/86. At most the 4 cylinder will be around 44-46k. Still more than 10k more than the BRZ/86.


#3 The Supra looks puffy, its more ugly than the BRZ/86 (has nothing to do with anything but this is #3)


So to me it doesn't appear that the Supra is at all in the same price bracket as the 86. The Supra is up there with Vettes etc. The BRZ is down in the MX-5 category. I really don't think the Supra being released has any affect on the 86/BRZ being continued.


#4 Even if Toyota decided to kill the 86, that doesn't mean Subaru won't continue to sell them.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
Busybee (01-22-2019), wbradley (02-08-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #6
DandoX
Senior gif poster
 
DandoX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Location: Ca, SoCal
Posts: 835
Thanks: 543
Thanked 592 Times in 339 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
My internal Toyota sources (sorry I can't provide a name) provided proof that the OP's assumptions are 100% accurate.

Sorry @Tcoat.

What are you saying? Or is this just some trolling?
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator
 
Dave-ROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Drives: Stuff
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,524
Thanks: 721
Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,219 Posts
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
What are you saying? Or is this just some trolling?
Sorry I thought it would be obvious that I was BSing
__________________
-Dave
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback || Oh yeah and a 2013 Scion FR-S too..

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (01-17-2019), DandoX (01-15-2019), D_Thissen (01-16-2019), Leonardo (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 06:19 PM   #8
jrb363
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Location: Nashville
Posts: 32
Thanks: 58
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
boring day at work?
Ha! I wish.

It's just a concern of mine. I know the cars don't directly compete, but since Ford/GM are killing sedans, BMW/Audi/Benz/etc have all killed the manual in the last few years to say I'm on edge is an understatement.

Sales have dropped like a stone and there have been zero official announcements of anything regarding the platform.

I honestly think, best case scenario here, is we get a 2nd generation with a 2.4 Turbo by 2021 and that's it... until govt regulations strangle and ultimately kill ICE engine development by early 2030's.

Worst case is they kill it by 2020.

In-between I think is the most financially logical l option...to pull a Nissan and move 8-10k units every year as a niche product since development costs have been recouped by now, leaving it on the vine for the next 5-6 years until it's so outdated the government won't let them sell it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
jrb363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
DandoX
Senior gif poster
 
DandoX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Location: Ca, SoCal
Posts: 835
Thanks: 543
Thanked 592 Times in 339 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb363 View Post
Ha! I wish.

It's just a concern of mine. I know the cars don't directly compete, but since Ford/GM are killing sedans, BMW/Audi/Benz/etc have all killed the manual in the last few years to say I'm on edge is an understatement.

Sales have dropped like a stone and there have been zero official announcements of anything regarding the platform.

I honestly think, best case scenario here, is we get a 2nd generation with a 2.4 Turbo by 2021 and that's it... until govt regulations strangle and ultimately kill ICE engine development by early 2030's.

Worst case is they kill it by 2020.

In-between I think is the most financially logical l option...to pull a Nissan and move 8-10k units every year as a niche product since development costs have been recouped by now, leaving it on the vine for the next 5-6 years until it's so outdated the government won't let them sell it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Try not to fret, like I said if Toyota killed it off then that doesn't mean Subaru will. Also if the 86/BRZ is killed off it will just leave a vacuum in the market for something else to appeal to us. Not everyone in this segment is willing to buy MX-5s. Although its not a terrible choice, just not as cool as a 86/BRZ.


+ IF they do kill the platform off all together then that means it wont be long until resale price will rise.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #10
arkanist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited, Stock
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 227
Thanks: 164
Thanked 141 Times in 84 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You are clearly missing the point, this increases the value. You can now say it is faster than a supra.
arkanist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #11
Delfin
Member
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 GT Manual Halo
Location: PR
Posts: 23
Thanks: 46
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
https://twitter.com/toyota/status/10...245769729?s=21

Here is the official announcement by Toyota. There are a lot of people disappointed because there will be no manual transmission. I prefer my 86. I need a manual transmission. But the new Supra is faster than our twins.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:00 PM   #12
DarkPira7e
Handin' out 1 Deags
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 13 Firestorm Red FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,283
Thanks: 701
Thanked 926 Times in 519 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have a few arguments. Our car comes available with a 6 speed standard, the Supra does not. Out car weighs 27-2800lbs, the Supra does not. Our car looks incredible, th su- I won't finish.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Spuds (01-15-2019), Tcoat (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #13
arkanist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited, Stock
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 227
Thanks: 164
Thanked 141 Times in 84 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
https://twitter.com/toyota/status/10...245769729?s=21

Here is the official announcement by Toyota. There are a lot of people disappointed because there will be no manual transmission. I prefer my 86. I need a manual transmission. But the new Supra is faster than our twins.
https://jalopnik.com/the-lowest-four...-hp-1831734785

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...der-us-market/

They have a 194hp 4cyl (outside the states). The 86 is quicker than a Supra.
arkanist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arkanist For This Useful Post:
Delfin (01-15-2019), Spuds (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #14
Grady
Senior Member
 
Grady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Drives: BRZ Yellow, 00 outback, 05 Colorado
Location: Dallas
Posts: 703
Thanks: 143
Thanked 490 Times in 286 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
https://twitter.com/toyota/status/10...245769729?s=21

Here is the official announcement by Toyota. There are a lot of people disappointed because there will be no manual transmission. I prefer my 86. I need a manual transmission. But the new Supra is faster than our twins.
Maybe yours!

Some people will love it, some people will hate it! It will create buzz and sell other Toyotas just as they planed.

Looks ok, could have been done better for my taste. I like the simple lines of the BRZ.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch suddenly sticking, squeaking, and killing the car artizhay Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 9 08-20-2018 12:09 AM
OFT Keep plugged in without killing battery? Axion Software Tuning 2 01-21-2015 02:55 PM
DIY - Killing Drone - 1/4 or Branch Resonator BRZ.PTY DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides 9 01-08-2015 09:05 AM
Titan Supra Competes at Texas Invitational - Supra is still competitive Video Titanmotorsports Off-Topic Lounge 0 05-20-2014 11:53 AM
I guess i'm killing people... Darryljr11 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 49 09-06-2013 12:54 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.