follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2019, 12:16 PM   #15
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sell the parts separately. I'm interested in the turbo kit and clutch and etc.... hahahha

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:34 PM   #16
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
You have totaled that car. Nobody in the right mind would pay $12K. It was a beautiful car before you owned it.

I really don't feel like that was necessary. You might not be a fan of his style, nor would a majority of people, but the 86 is known for having young and flashy owners with tastes on the more extreme spectrum, so I'm sure he could sell the car for at least $12k. No need to beat on the man when he is down having blown his motor and needing to sell his car for a loss.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:14 PM   #17
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post

I really don't feel like that was necessary. You might not be a fan of his style, nor would a majority of people, but the 86 is known for having young and flashy owners with tastes on the more extreme spectrum, so I'm sure he could sell the car for at least $12k. No need to beat on the man when he is down having blown his motor and needing to sell his car for a loss.
How does saying "you did a good job but that car is really stupid" sound? Would it be helpful for the next car? I am not that kind of a nice guy. He can hate me all he wants but hopefully he does not waste that much money next time. So, we disagree.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #18
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
How does saying "you did a good job but that car is really stupid" sound? Would it be helpful for the next car? I am not that kind of a nice guy. He can hate me all he wants but hopefully he does not waste that much money next time. So, we disagree.
Obviously you haven’t heard ‘if you don’t have anything nice to say then don’t say anything at all’.

Outside of the wrap, the car looks like any other car here, so what is your point? The $4k vinyl wrap can be removed in minutes. That car is loaded with high end parts. A new, built shortblock and a rebuild for $5k, and the car is capable of being a beast. Maybe the cost for the new owner can be offset by selling a few parts like the other two sets of rims or whatever.
Old 08-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #19
Conman

Drives: Red FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I really just wanted to know If this particular engine the IAG Stg2 with the lower 10.0:1 compression is a reliable option and worth spending the $9,000 it well take to have it installed. James my tuner says the lower ratio is not a good idea... The internet is filled with waaay to much misinformation and I seriously regret ever looking on it for any advice on this build... I guess I just drop the money on this and hope it runs. Shop says they cant tune useing EcuTek so i dunno what im going to tune it with. Sell my ecutek and buy a OFt i guess. Or hope that the same tune from HRi before will work on the new engine
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:26 PM   #20
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman View Post
I really just wanted to know If this particular engine the IAG Stg2 with the lower 10.0:1 compression is a reliable option and worth spending the $9,000 it well take to have it installed. James my tuner says the lower ratio is not a good idea... The internet is filled with waaay to much misinformation and I seriously regret ever looking on it for any advice on this build... I guess I just drop the money on this and hope it runs. Shop says they cant tune useing EcuTek so i dunno what im going to tune it with. Sell my ecutek and buy a OFt i guess. Or hope that the same tune from HRi before will work on the new engine
I feel like Delicious or CSG can get you an etune you would be happy with until you do a dyno tune with a shop that uses ECUTEK.

Look at every manufacturer on the market who has a forced induction motor. They all run lower compression. 10:1 is still high by many standards. If a tuner is balking at such a notion then perhaps it is because they don’t have experience tuning lower compression on this platform. Can they actually provide a reason why lower compression isn’t necessary? 400whp is achievable, but you will be making less than 300whp on 91. Why not have more while your building the motor and not being reliant on E85. It seems easier to tune the car for 91 and E85 with lower compression than trying to program progressive boost or boost by gear or something anyways.
Bach415 (08-15-2019), NoHaveMSG (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #21
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,473 Times in 770 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I tried to give you good advice, That power setting you do not need to lower compression.

You shop can’t tune using EcuTek? Is this the shop that tuned it prior to it blowing up? If that is the case I would look into a new shop/tuner.

You have put a lot of money in the car. Buy used engine out of a junk yard. Look for a car that has not been modified not the lowest mileage. Take apart and put new rods/pistons/rings. Reassemble with the best of the parts you have.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #22
Conman

Drives: Red FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
I tried to give you good advice, That power setting you do not need to lower compression.

You shop can’t tune using EcuTek? Is this the shop that tuned it prior to it blowing up? If that is the case I would look into a new shop/tuner.

You have put a lot of money in the car. Buy used engine out of a junk yard. Look for a car that has not been modified not the lowest mileage. Take apart and put new rods/pistons/rings. Reassemble with the best of the parts you have.
Well I could buy the MAP built block with the stock compression ratio... NO; this is not the shop who blew the car up originally...This is the only local shop that will do an engine rebuild and warranty their work; they want to use the IAg stg2. They said they have never tuned with ECutek but will give it a try. Otherwise James said he can tune it but doesn't recommend the IAG block... Full Blown is the only other local shop that tunes with ECutek. James at HRI said go with Full Blown; But everything I hear locally is stay away from Full Blown... I dont know how to install an engine but maybe I should spend the $9,000 instead and go out and buy all the tools I would need, a lift, and engine stand, I dunno what else. Then do the install my self, I doubt that would go well since I have no idea what im doing... Thats why I wanted a local shop to do the install. Final option is pay to have the car shipped cross country to a shop that knows what they are doing... Think I will just put down the deposit on the IAg block and hope for the best. Thanks everyone... Now off to find a second job so I can pay for my totaled car, lol.

Last edited by Conman; 08-15-2019 at 06:25 PM.
Conman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:41 PM   #23
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well I could buy the MAP built block with the stock compression ratio... NO; this is not the shop who blew the car up originally...This is the only local shop that will do an engine rebuild and warranty their work; they want to use the IAg stg2. They said they have never tuned with ECutek but will give it a try. Otherwise James said he can tune it but doesn't recommend the IAG block... Full Blown is the only other local shop that tunes with ECutek. James at HRI said go with Full Blown; But everything I hear locally is stay away from Full Blown... I dont know how to install an engine but maybe I should spend the $9,000 instead and go out and buy all the tools I would need, a lift, and engine stand, I dunno what else. Then do the install my self, I doubt that would go well since I have no idea what im doing... Thats why I wanted a local shop to do the install. Final option is pay to have the car shipped cross country to a shop that knows what they are doing... Think I will just put down the deposit on the IAg block and hope for the best. Thanks everyone... Now off to find a second job so I can pay for my totaled car, lol.
IAG also offers a normal compression built block for our platform as well.

It's weird that the shop have not tuned with ECUTek when it's the most used program when it comes to our platform besides OFT. Makes me doubt that shop a bit but can't judge. You can possibly have them install, then get James to e-tune it for you.
Full Blown is a reputable company that made turbo kits and parts for our cars so Idk why people would say to stay away from them, when James do recommend it.

Edit:Here's the link for IAG St2 Standard CR (12.5:1) https://www.iagperformance.com/IAG-S...g-eng-1210.htm
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bach415 For This Useful Post:
Conman (08-15-2019), Irace86.2.0 (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #24
Tonrogs

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited, Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
You should seriously consider at least part of my offer. Take a ride in my 9:1 engine BRZ. You could also just pull the engine and have FBM build it utilizing your existing case halves and crank.
As for the tune you have from James, it is the same base tune. It will work so long as it has the same parts on the engine as before. CR won't affect the base tune.
Lastly, consider my entire offer I sent to you via pm. I'm more than willing to help you out. I'm only 4 hours away.
If you want to, pm me back and I'll give you my number and we can talk.
'14 SWP BRZ 6MT | FBM built 9:1cr engine w/ GTX3076R Turbo | Mazworx CD009 trans swap | EcuTek | Jackson Racing Dual Oil Cooler/Radiator | SPAL fans | JDL 3" Dual Resonated OP/FP | Perrin 3" | Radium Dual Cans | 18" Rota Titans | M85 3.73 diff | DSS 1k axles | And more....too much more....ugh.
Tonrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonrogs For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 06:54 PM   #25
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post

His tuner is saying it is a bad idea. You are saying at 400whp is not needed, but he is building the motor so why not? Can you give one reason why he shouldn’t? Wouldn’t the improved reliability, improvement power on pump gas and overhead for more power in the future more than warrant lowering compression?
Old 08-15-2019, 07:01 PM   #26
Tonrogs

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited, Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
His tuner is saying it is a bad idea. You are saying at 400whp is not needed, but he is building the motor so why not? Can you give one reason why he shouldn’t? Wouldn’t the improved reliability, improvement power on pump gas and overhead for more power in the future more than warrant lowering compression?
yes it would warrant it. Go 10.5:1 or 10:1 and have fun knowing you have more head room for more boost.
'14 SWP BRZ 6MT | FBM built 9:1cr engine w/ GTX3076R Turbo | Mazworx CD009 trans swap | EcuTek | Jackson Racing Dual Oil Cooler/Radiator | SPAL fans | JDL 3" Dual Resonated OP/FP | Perrin 3" | Radium Dual Cans | 18" Rota Titans | M85 3.73 diff | DSS 1k axles | And more....too much more....ugh.
Tonrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tonrogs For This Useful Post:
Conman (08-15-2019), Irace86.2.0 (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 07:19 PM   #27
Bach415

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@Irace86.2.0. (for some reason can't quote) The thing is, we aren't seeing the whole picture of what @Conman wants from his car or what he had told to his tuner. So far, we only know two things of what he wants and those are it being a safe build and making 400 whp. His tuner might have said it might be a bad idea because if he wants the minimum or no turbo lag at all then having the standard CR helps alleviate that as much as possible. Until @Conman tells us what he wants from the car, any type of theory/build is usable.
Bach415 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bach415 For This Useful Post:
Conman (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #28
Irace86.2.0

If E85 was plentiful, pump gas was rarely going to happen, 400whp was the limit forever, the car never saw a track day and long commutes required fuel economy then I would totally say leave the stock compression, but in any other scenario I would say drop compression.

This quote from post 14 says it all:

Quote:
My low boost 91 map now has higher tq across the entire rpm range than my previous stock engine high boost 94 map, with the rest of the setup and unchanged. So for those not going towards higher octane fuel, my feedback on those considering lowering to 10:1 cr would be that very satisfactory results (for my goals) was achieved.
Conman (08-15-2019)