follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-14-2017, 01:41 PM   #43
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Right about now. Just googled.
Technology from 10 year old F1 cars in your car of tomorrow!
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #44
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
Only other good handling is miata newest one, rx7 2nd gen and some pricey Porsche for me.

I drove 2016 Cam. Feels bulky and like a school bus with tons of hp. Not my cup of tea.
It's interesting you say that because the new alpha platform is very very light. The conception of "American heavy muscle/pony cars that cannot turn" is changing.

For the reference, V6 Camaro with 335hp only weighs 3339lbs!! which is even lighter than Japanese and German cars in that segment (STI, Evo, M2..etc)
Could that be a placebo effect?
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #45
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Technology from 10 year old F1 cars in your car of tomorrow!
I am ashamed. Been living under a rock.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:57 PM   #46
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
It's interesting you say that because the new alpha platform is very very light. The conception of "American heavy muscle/pony cars that cannot turn" is changing.

For the reference, V6 Camaro with 335hp only weighs 3339lbs!! which is even lighter than Japanese and German cars in that segment (STI, Evo, M2..etc)
I feel they are still too heavy. Half because the car is bulky and half because the sitting position is higher up than that of our cars. Placebo? Maybe. The turn thing is half gone but the size makes me feel uncomfortable. Id rather buy a Tundra.
~el~jefe~ (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 07:58 PM   #47
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Different car make for different scenario.
Sure, the camaro can beat the 86 on high speed track, but I very doubt on touge.
650hp is great, but 3900lbs is a nah.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-Sky For This Useful Post:
~el~jefe~ (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #48
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
We love the 86 for the lack of weight. There will always be a faster heavier car. Then we have the Exige.......
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
~el~jefe~ (04-14-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 12:14 AM   #49
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Well it's a >50 year old recipe.

Stating the obvious, but Chevy learned their lesson when they missed the boat the first time and now lets anybody use their powertrains which are awesome in terms of power density when you want 400+ hp.

If only GM had said yes to Shelby...
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #50
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
camaro LE1 package has 20" ghetto styled micro rubber wheels/tires. Only on a track would this beat a BRZ premium stock. Any road that actually is not mythical, the camaro would fly out on every slight turn. (not to mention bent rim + death when on a curve, like actual death.) I raced many people in the past, real road races. It is all about soft springs, or strong struts with huge travel distances, and large tires + weight of car when things get crazy.

I am all for these high performance muscle cars, but they set them up for lame tracks. This trend of creating track cars is becoming an irritating thing for me. No one I ever met buys a camaro to be a track only car. If you have that cash, you would get a porche, lotus, miata, etc. It is obvious someone who buys a camaro with the track package wants to go fast as well on regular roads. They will have some major issues, but will never publish them online. This is why the BRZ is neat with 17" tires and 2800 lbs. It can actually be raced in all conditions aside from rain/snow.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:52 PM   #51
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~el~jefe~ View Post
camaro LE1 package has 20" ghetto styled micro rubber wheels/tires. Only on a track would this beat a BRZ premium stock. Any road that actually is not mythical, the camaro would fly out on every slight turn. I raced many people in the past, real road races. It is all about soft springs, or strong struts with huge travel distances, and large tires + weight of car when things get crazy.

I am all for these high performance muscle cars, but they set them up for lame tracks. This trend of creating track cars is becoming an irritating thing for me. No one I ever met buys a camaro to be a track only car. If you have that cash, you would get a porche, lotus, miata, etc. It is obvious someone who buys a camaro with the track package wants to go fast as well on regular roads. They will have some major issues, but will never publish them online. This is why the BRZ is neat with 17" tires and 2800 lbs. It can actually be raced in all conditions aside from rain/snow.
I am really sorry... but this is not true. The 1le cars do great at autox and other tight driving conditions. As well as making decent drivers for everyday use.

It is obvious how little this forum in general understands some of the domestic offerings.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/fiat/...r-s-toyota-86/

This tests the 1le v6.... the ss 1le was dropped against more worthy competitors (viper, audi r8 etc..) and ranked very high.

That is only one source, but the 1le is a very controllable drivers' car.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-17-2017), glamcem (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #52
~el~jefe~
Banned

Drives: 2019 MX-5 RF
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I am really sorry... but this is not true. The 1le cars do great at autox and other tight driving conditions. As well as making decent drivers for everyday use.

It is obvious how little this forum in general understands some of the domestic offerings.

This tests the 1le v6.... the ss 1le was dropped against more worthy competitors (viper, audi r8 etc..) and ranked very high.

That is only one source, but the 1le is a very controllable drivers' car.
No one who screws up and smashes into the BQE wall in NYC posts their fantastic handling of their hog car with micro rubber wheels. HOwever, I have witnessed many spinouts, when tires break free due to regular road bumps and pot holes, never to be resettled, and the weight takes over and smashes them, spinning them out of control.
~el~jefe~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #53
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
Too twitchy from the short wheelbase, ugly appearance, and definitely way too expensive. Give me an LS swapped twin or 240, or just a regular corvette any day.
FD has 95.5" wheelbase and with ~550hp it doesn't feel too twitchy to me, if anything I'd like to get a much quicker steering rack for it.

Agree on the ND appearance, but LS horsepower in a car that's on the order of 1000 lb. lighter-weight than a Corvette, sounds like fun...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #54
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
No one who screws up and smashes into the BQE wall in NYC posts their fantastic handling of their hog car with micro rubber wheels. HOwever, I have witnessed many spinouts, when tires break free due to regular road bumps and pot holes, never to be resettled, and the weight takes over and smashes them, spinning them out of control.
Great story. I would love to see what makes and models of cars you have witnessed being 1le camaros.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #55
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
It's interesting you say that because the new alpha platform is very very light.

The conception of "American heavy muscle/pony cars that cannot turn" is changing.

Actually these Camaros are not remotely lightweight. SS comes in at 3750+ lb. Historically (before they re-introduced the Camaro on a large sedan platform), V8 Camaros were generally in the 3400-3500 lb. weight range, so the current-gen is still heavy despite losing ~100 lb. vs. last-gen.

Car and driver reports 3467 lb. for a 2016 V6 Camaro, MT had one at 3461, so 3339 seems optimistic, maybe with no fuel?

For sure Japanese and German "sports" and "sporty" cars are almost all grossly overweight as well

SS 1LE is apparently a stellar-handling car, but I'd rather have the slower and less-stellar-handling-numbers FR-S/BRZ. Big heavy cars are just not as fun!
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-15-2017), WolfpackS2k (04-19-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #56
glamcem

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
I feel they are still too heavy. Half because the car is bulky and half because the sitting position is higher up than that of our cars. Placebo? Maybe. The turn thing is half gone but the size makes me feel uncomfortable. Id rather buy a Tundra.
Well it "IS" heavier but heavier doesn't necessarily mean it will handle worse than the lighter car otherwise Viper, GT3, C7 Z06 wouldn't break lap and road holding records I agree with you though, having a higher seating position because of the higher car compared to BRZ, Miata or S2000 (owned all of them at some point btw) gives you a perception of bulky car, ..but like you said it's just a "feeling" since data clearly shows it's not a fact Since the handling is something that can be measured I simply trust the data more than anything
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sky View Post
Different car make for different scenario.
Sure, the camaro can beat the 86 on high speed track, but I very doubt on touge.
650hp is great, but 3900lbs is a nah.
Nope not the case, it will beat in tight track, autox, figure eight and any performance metrics and condition you can think of .. feel of the car will be different of course and no one can argue with that, it's just a personal preference. With that said, I also had some concerns before tracking my 1LE (especially in turn in and tight corners) they were all gone.. GM did an exceptional job on these cars while competing with Ford (GT350)

Numbers don't lie, it laps the Streets of Willow (1:30 min course) in a whopping 5 seconds faster than the 86!! 1.5 seconds different in Figure 8 is YUUUGE!! like I said above feeling is not a fact
take a look

from a value proportion V6 Camaro is a very hard to beat since it's the cheapest of the alpha platform cars. If I were in the market for a V6 and I would prefer the lighter option (which is still a very good option imo) I wouldn't get the 1LE V6 since it doesn't have all the goodies of the SS 1LE (such as PTM , MRC, e-diff, LT1..etc) so it might not be worh the price tag. It uses the SS suspension and recaros. I would simply get a new V6 for about $19k (I saw them going as low as below $20k) and put a good set of coilovers,wheel/tires and seat, strip the car for weight savings and have the best bang for the buck. It wouldn't be hard to keep it below 3300lbs with some weight reduction

Quote:
camaro LE1 package has 20" ghetto styled micro rubber wheels/tires. Only on a track would this beat a BRZ premium stock. Any road that actually is not mythical, the camaro would fly out on every slight turn. (not to mention bent rim + death when on a curve, like actual death.) I raced many people in the past, real road races. It is all about soft springs, or strong struts with huge travel distances, and large tires + weight of car when things get crazy.

Well I bought my 1LE as my track only car (and maybe a few miles on street driving every once in a while and I know many others in the same situation. The demand on these 1LEs is so big it took me a couple months to find one and at a decent price
speaking of weight, same can be said for BRZ or S2000 also, they still weigh a ton more than Lotus Elise and/or ND Miata. So there is no end to it. At the end of the way, it will "handle" better no matter how we look at it or feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
What issues did you have?
endlinks were not torqued enough and it gave me some clunks after the first event, torqued it.

And one of the wiring harnesses is sitting close to A/C belt and causing high RPM hesitation. Zip tied that other than that so far so good (knock on wood)
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glamcem For This Useful Post:
FR-Sky (04-15-2017), ~el~jefe~ (04-15-2017)