follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #71
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I only want the side markers to blink with the turn signals. Not stay on with the DRLs. Which wires exactly do I need to cross to accomplish this? I guess my question is: which wire for the turn signals is the actual turn signal power wire? There are green, red, and black. Obviously black is NEG, but is it red or green for the blinker?

edit: Got a multimeter today and figured it out, in case anyone else comes looking for the info, the GREEN wire is for the parking lights, the RED wire (driver's side) and WHITE wire (passenger side) are the blinker power wires. So I tapped into those and got my side markers blinking simultaneously with the front blinkers, and off all other times.

Frances - 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Owner's Journal

Last edited by Moshpit37; 09-09-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Moshpit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moshpit37 For This Useful Post:
boonFRS (09-03-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 05:27 AM   #72
bryan0101

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue on blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Can op repost the images? Or can anyone make a new thread. Can't do the mod with pictures as I'm chicken sh1t w/ electrical stuff.
bryan0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bryan0101 For This Useful Post:
BabaYaga (11-21-2014), Trap63 (11-12-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 12:07 AM   #73
xkalelx

Drives: 2013 BRZ black
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
This needs an update. Pictures are dead links. Would like to do this modification... TIA.
xkalelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #74
boonFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS whiteout
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Sorry folks, I'll update the thread in a few days. Currently out of town at the moment and all the old pictures are gone. Will have to upload new pictures. Thanks
boonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boonFRS For This Useful Post:
BabaYaga (12-26-2014)
Old 01-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #75
2slo4u

Drives: Rare Jade Pearl dipped
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshpit37 View Post
I only want the side markers to blink with the turn signals. Not stay on with the DRLs. Which wires exactly do I need to cross to accomplish this? I guess my question is: which wire for the turn signals is the actual turn signal power wire? There are green, red, and black. Obviously black is NEG, but is it red or green for the blinker?

edit: Got a multimeter today and figured it out, in case anyone else comes looking for the info, the GREEN wire is for the parking lights, the RED wire (driver's side) and WHITE wire (passenger side) are the blinker power wires. So I tapped into those and got my side markers blinking simultaneously with the front blinkers, and off all other times.
Care to elaborate what wires were tapped together to get this outcome? This is how I'd want mine to be too. Thanks in advance.
2slo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #76
boonFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS whiteout
Original post updated. Thanks for waiting.
boonFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boonFRS For This Useful Post:
codesplice (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 09:22 AM   #77
codesplice
Elite Recognized Geek

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathalo View Post
Just for reference for any other BRZ owners:
You need a wire going from the red blinker wire to the black wire on your markers, and a wire going from the green wire hooked to your headlights (powering the boomerang) to the white/red power wire on your side markers. If you do or have done the DRL mod for your boomerangs make sure the diode is in between the splice to the marker and your headlight.
Where is this red wire located? Is that on the harness side or headlight side of the wiring harness connection for the headlights? Mine has a white wire going from the harness to the blinker bulb; that was the only one that I could find a blinker signal on.

Tapping into that white wire (and the green parking light wire) got my sidemarkers to functions perfectly as turn signals when I tested with the stock bulbs installed in the turn signal sockets (smaller, easier to dangle in the engine bay). When I switched back to my LED turn signal bulbs, they were dimly illuminated with the parking lights (and got brighter as turn signals). I found ~+7VDC present at the turn signal socket with driving lights on - which I guess isn't enough to light up the stock bulbs but is enough for the LEDs.

Did I tap the wrong wire(s), or does this not work properly on a BRZ with LED turn signal bulbs? I'd really like to get this to work (as I hate that my turn signals aren't visible from the side), but reverted back to the stock setup for now.

Thanks for any input you guys can provide.
This post is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents either are the product of the poster's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.
G+
codesplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:47 PM   #78
thatfilipinoguy

Drives: 87 Supra, 13 FRS, 05 FXT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danklvr View Post
there is a much easier way to perform this mod, i just did it 5 minutes ago.
No need to cut both wires from the side marker - black/white right side, black/red left side.
also no need to cut the red (blinker) wire and the green (parking light power) wires from the parking lights.

NOTE -The Below is FR-S Specific, as well I haven't tested this with LED bulbs, only incandescent. LED Bulbs in your blinkers WILL result in Hyperflash unless you have installed an LED safe flasher relay / Tapturn flasher.

I'd recommend using a multimeter or a test light, to verify the wires if you have a BRZ or BRZ Limited. The same would hold true if you have a 10 Series or Monogram, the standard FR-S wiring is what the OP's Guide and my revision are based on.

Here is what i did to achieve the same effect, took 5 min per side..
using the DIY in this post locate the red (blinker signal) wires coming from your parking lights and splice a jumper wire onto it, either by splice connection, solder, tape, wire nuts, whatever your preferred method is... do not cut the green wire or splice anything to it, the green wires are your constant power wires for the parking lights.

next, locate the 2 wires coming from your side markers. i chose to get my wires before the harness going into the sidemarkers, whereas the OP chose to get them inside the sidemarkers themselves, do it my way, its better because you have more room and wire to work with and easier to return to stock...for your referance - right side will be black/white, left side will be black/red.
The black wire on each side is the only wire that needs to be cut, NOT both wires going to the side marker. Again, for reference, the white wire on the right side, red wire on the left side is your constant power to the sidemarker, no need to cut or splice this one, leave it be. Yet i digress.. locate your black wires on each side of the sidemarkers, and cut the black wires. Take your jumper wire you spliced to the red blinker signal wire from the parking lights, and connect them to the sidemarker side of the black wires you just cut. tape off the remaining black wire ends that are leading to the engine side. if you ever want to reverse this mod, just splice the 2 ends of the black wires back together, and remove the splice connection to your red blinker wires.

test and enjoy if something doesn't work, you either didn't make a good splice connection, or you ran your jumper to the end of the black wires that do not lead to the sidemarkers...

no hyper flash, no warning lights, blown fuses, just like the OP method above this flashes and looks stock, the way the fr-s/brz should have come.

1. Parking lights on, the side marker will stay on and alternate with the front blinkers.

2. Headlights on, same as #1.

3. All lights off, the side marker will not be on but will blink in sync with the front blinkers.

I did this method and everything works, however, I noticed this

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443235609.234593.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  277.3 KB

When I turned on the parking lights/headlights. The only things that are lit are the side markers and nothing else, but when I signal everything works as it should. I'm just wondering if I wired it incorrectly or does everyone have this problem.

Just in case you guys were wondering, my side markers are LED not the standard bulbs.
thatfilipinoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:32 PM   #79
Danklvr

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Argento
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Danklvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatfilipinoguy View Post
I did this method and everything works, however, I noticed this

Attachment 121165

When I turned on the parking lights/headlights. The only things that are lit are the side markers and nothing else, but when I signal everything works as it should. I'm just wondering if I wired it incorrectly or does everyone have this problem.

Just in case you guys were wondering, my side markers are LED not the standard bulbs.
Function should be as below. Do you mean when you turn on your parking lights, the sidemarkers light, but not the front blinker bulbs? If so, your front blinkers are not getting power until the blink for the signal is triggered.

1. Parking lights on, the side marker will stay on / front blinkers on - and alternate with the front blinkers.

3. All lights off, the side marker will not be on but will blink in sync with the front blinkers.

How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus?
Danklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:43 PM   #80
thatfilipinoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danklvr View Post
Function should be as below. Do you mean when you turn on your parking lights, the sidemarkers light, but not the front blinker bulbs? If so, your front blinkers are not getting power until the blink for the signal is triggered.

1. Parking lights on, the side marker will stay on / front blinkers on - and alternate with the front blinkers.

Everything works as it should, the issue is whats going on in the gauge cluster. And I previously removed the green wire from the front signals, because I did not like the lights on as DRLs.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:50 PM   #81
Danklvr

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Argento
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Danklvr
if you put the green wire back, does your cluster look normal?
use techstream to disable the drl's or have dealer do it, most do it free..

How ya gonna keep 'em down on the farm once they've seen Karl Hungus?
Danklvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:53 PM   #82
thatfilipinoguy

The cluster looked normal when I had the green wire removed a long time ago. I had the DRLs turned off a long time ago. The green wire is what gives the front signals the DRL look. I'm wondering if anyone else that did this mod has this issue, esp if they have LEDs in their side markers.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:02 AM   #83
iLaw

Drives: 2015 BRZ, Aozora Edition
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Please forgive my electrical ignorance.

How would this work on a BRZ that DOESN'T use a dual filament bulb for the signal? Where would the two wires go (white ones in your original photos in post #1)? @boonFRS
iLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #84
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Bump. I'm looking to do this mod. Has anyone done this on a BRZ yet? Not sure if I want the alternating flash, or flash in sync with the front blinkers. What do most cars do out of the box?
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote