follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
FT86 Motorsports
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.


User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Nevermore
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: FRS
Location: ...
Posts: 2,950
Thanks: 1,375
Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Tune for Daily Driver

Hey guys,

I looked around here a little and didn't see a thread specifically for this so I thought I'd make one. I was just wondering what tuning software is recommended for a daily driver. I'll list what I'm planning on putting on the car and what my general goals are for the tune and performance.

Mods:
FT-86 Speedfactory UEL Catted header.
Nameless resonated/catted downpipe/overpipe combo 2.5"
PERRIN Catback exhaust 2.5"
Injen intake (Or maybe a drop-in filter to save some money)

I mostly want the tune to make the vehicle as efficient as I can with these mods, while still keeping it operating right. I don't know much about tuning, just that it can be more efficient for the car. I don't want to do anything that can mess up the engine or damage it. Also not looking for an E85 tune. Is there anything that fits this? Nice, clean, efficient, but still with some gains.

This is a daily driven car and most likely won't see any tracks. It may, in the future, see auto-x, but that's nothing I'm planning right away.
Nevermore is offline  
Old 12-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Walla Walla
Hicas Thread Basher
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: Subaru BRZ 13, Hyundai Genesis 15
Location: Québec, Canada
Posts: 233
Thanks: 73
Thanked 86 Times in 42 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Right now I use OFT, and I don't have your mods, but I will install this winter a UEL header, and so far, I have no complain to do! and it is my daily drive!

If I would lend my car to someone, he wouldn't notice it's a modded car, he would just find it more powerfull than a standard model!
Walla Walla is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Walla Walla For This Useful Post:
Shiv@Openflash (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
eddieEndo
Smokin on Dat Endo
 
eddieEndo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Location: Fullerton, CA
Posts: 898
Thanks: 720
Thanked 315 Times in 218 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
subbed sounds like exactly what i need
__________________
eddieEndo is offline  
Old 12-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
WRB5titch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Drives: WRBrz
Location: SoCal
Posts: 142
Thanks: 374
Thanked 67 Times in 41 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I too have the OFT and let me tell you, it's fantastic. First thing I noticed was the car ran much smoother, torque dip, while still present was barely noticeable. Overall drive-ability improved! Not only that, when/if you ever decide to try out e85 you can with ease!

Daily Driven.
In case you're wondering my mods are Stock header/Nameless 2.5 axelback/TRD drop in filter



Quote:
Originally Posted by Walla Walla View Post
Right now I use OFT, and I don't have your mods, but I will install this winter a UEL header, and so far, I have no complain to do! and it is my daily drive!

If I would lend my car to someone, he wouldn't notice it's a modded car, he would just find it more powerfull than a standard model!
WRB5titch is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to WRB5titch For This Useful Post:
Shiv@Openflash (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Shiv@Openflash
Senior Member
 
Shiv@Openflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: 2013 FRS
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 2,629
Thanks: 1,055
Thanked 5,451 Times in 1,491 Posts
Mentioned: 601 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Thanks for the recommendations OP- if you need more info on the OFT, you can visit the website at www.openflashtablet.com

Starting January, OFTs come pre-programmed so all you do is plug it in, press a button to read the stock ECU file and then another button to select what tuned file you want and then another button to flash your ECU. It is literally plug-n-play. There is no longer any need to connect to a laptop and manually upload a tuned file that you downloaded from the website (as currently described in the Getting Started tutorial video). If you have any questions, feel free to ask or email sales@vishnutuning.com. The office is open on Jan 2nd and I'm sure the guys won't take too long to catch up with emails
Shiv@Openflash is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
subwaynm (12-25-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
SloS14
Senior Member
 
SloS14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Location: United States
Posts: 726
Thanks: 381
Thanked 650 Times in 255 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
OF MF'in T
SloS14 is offline  
Old 12-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Shagaliscious
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,315
Thanks: 3,283
Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Thanks for the recommendations OP- if you need more info on the OFT, you can visit the website at www.openflashtablet.com

Starting January, OFTs come pre-programmed so all you do is plug it in, press a button to read the stock ECU file and then another button to select what tuned file you want and then another button to flash your ECU. It is literally plug-n-play. There is no longer any need to connect to a laptop and manually upload a tuned file that you downloaded from the website (as currently described in the Getting Started tutorial video). If you have any questions, feel free to ask or email sales@vishnutuning.com. The office is open on Jan 2nd and I'm sure the guys won't take too long to catch up with emails
Will you still be able to download tune files with the pre-programmed ones? Or will you only be able to use the pre-programmed tunes?
Shagaliscious is offline  
Old 12-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Shiv@Openflash
Senior Member
 
Shiv@Openflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: 2013 FRS
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 2,629
Thanks: 1,055
Thanked 5,451 Times in 1,491 Posts
Mentioned: 601 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagaliscious View Post
Will you still be able to download tune files with the pre-programmed ones? Or will you only be able to use the pre-programmed tunes?
Yes you will still be able to upload/download tune files from the download section of our website. You can write right over the tune files that were preloaded on the OFT.
Shiv@Openflash is offline  
Old 12-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #9
mike_ekim1024
Senior Member
 
mike_ekim1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Drives: Argento Scion FR-S
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 405
Thanks: 326
Thanked 151 Times in 88 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Yes you will still be able to upload/download tune files from the download section of our website. You can write right over the tune files that were preloaded on the OFT.
But the OFT doesn't do logging yet does it? Isn't it important to keep an eye on AFR, fuel trims, knock, etc? If you just preempt a button and drive, how do you know how it's working? I'm just curious, since I've been learning about my tune.
mike_ekim1024 is offline  
Old 12-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
FrsDuke
Fanboy
 
FrsDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Location: Tx
Posts: 612
Thanks: 242
Thanked 337 Times in 203 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It totally logs now
FrsDuke is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to FrsDuke For This Useful Post:
mike_ekim1024 (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #11
Nevermore
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Drives: FRS
Location: ...
Posts: 2,950
Thanks: 1,375
Thanked 1,990 Times in 1,205 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I'm very new to modding, what is this logging I keep seeing everyone talking about and how difficult/important is it to do and keep up with?
Nevermore is offline  
Old 12-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
jamesm
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,929
Thanks: 1,166
Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,177 Posts
Mentioned: 313 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
I'm very new to modding, what is this logging I keep seeing everyone talking about and how difficult/important is it to do and keep up with?
you might pay someone else to change your tires, but you still check the pressure and tread depth every once in a while. it's kinda like that.

i'd say if you're paying for an e-tune or running an ots map, it's important to log initially and confirm everything is good to go, then maybe check it by reviewing a quick drive every so often, or when anything about your setup changes.

it's not something you have to do regularly once everything is known-good, but at the same time you do need to do it. the car isn't going to e-mail you if there's a problem.
jamesm is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamesm For This Useful Post:
amram (03-24-2014), Nevermore (12-24-2013), subwaynm (12-25-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #13
Boofneenee
Go-Kart Enthusiast
 
Boofneenee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Drives: Toyota Scion FRS
Location: Yup
Posts: 800
Thanks: 576
Thanked 306 Times in 187 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Boofneenee
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesm View Post
you might pay someone else to change your tires, but you still check the pressure and tread depth every once in a while. it's kinda like that.

i'd say if you're paying for an e-tune or running an ots map, it's important to log initially and confirm everything is good to go, then maybe check it by reviewing a quick drive every so often, or when anything about your setup changes.

it's not something you have to do regularly once everything is known-good, but at the same time you do need to do it. the car isn't going to e-mail you if there's a problem.
What do you do with a tune if you do data log and find an issue? With all tunes, unless you know how to custom tune, you either leave the tune or flash back to stock. That sucks. Of course, you could always pay additional monies to customize your tune by a trained tuner. At least this way you know a pro is reviewing your logs specific to your car moda and tune. I hope OFT has plans to offer a service down the road.
__________________
FRS
Current mods: K&N air filter, OFT, OFH, berk high flow cat front pipe, Q300 exhaust, lighter wheels
Boofneenee is offline  
 
Old 12-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
FA20Club.com
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 2013 White Out FR-S
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,335
Thanks: 24
Thanked 1,162 Times in 501 Posts
Mentioned: 323 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
No OTS map on this car can go without some sort of verification via logging. its best to go with a tuner that supports this as a viable option. And a detailed logging system is quite important.
FA20Club.com is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FA20Club.com For This Useful Post:
jamesm (12-24-2013), JerryMichaels7 (12-24-2013), subwaynm (12-25-2013)
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to me daily driver.. 95 M3. Dave-ROR Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 58 07-17-2014 02:05 AM
FRS as a Daily Driver? Pake1 Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 105 08-15-2012 11:48 PM
Will the BRZ be your daily driver WRXGuy1 Subaru BRZ General Forum 47 05-23-2012 12:15 PM
BRZ as daily driver? Pakjk89 Subaru BRZ General Forum 81 03-22-2012 09:50 AM
The daily driver KiingDavid CANADA 25 02-06-2012 02:14 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.