follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #1
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Front camber, how much clearance does it gain/lose?

Looking at adding more front camber for this year, since it's daily driven year round I don't want camber plates (yummy salty Canadian winters) so I'll be adding more at the knuckle. I'm on stock diameter springs, so tire to spring perch clearance has been my reason for not adding more earlier. I'm going to add spacers up front to buy some clearance, but don't want to go thicker than needed (already have ARP studs, so no worries there).

I want room to add another full degree of camber, will 10mm be enough extra room? I don't currently have a ton of clearance, and am fine with ending up like that again.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #2
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
We have no idea what the rest of your setup is like. You can add a degree on a stock setup with loads of clearance. Best thing you can do is grab camber bolts, toss them in, and see how much an alignment shop can get out of them.
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:00 PM   #3
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Looking at adding more front camber for this year, since it's daily driven year round I don't want camber plates (yummy salty Canadian winters) so I'll be adding more at the knuckle. I'm on stock diameter springs, so tire to spring perch clearance has been my reason for not adding more earlier. I'm going to add spacers up front to buy some clearance, but don't want to go thicker than needed (already have ARP studs, so no worries there).

I want room to add another full degree of camber, will 10mm be enough extra room? I don't currently have a ton of clearance, and am fine with ending up like that again.
Depending on your width and offset, but I've gotten as much as -3* out front with 39et (45et with 6mm spacers) on 8" wide RPF1 with 245/40/17 tires with very minor rubbing. Do it. 10mm should be enough space.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
wparsons (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
We have no idea what the rest of your setup is like. You can add a degree on a stock setup with loads of clearance. Best thing you can do is grab camber bolts, toss them in, and see how much an alignment shop can get out of them.
The rest of the setup is irrelevant if you read the post. Doesn't matter how much camber I currently have, the amount of movement at the top of the wheel per degree of camber added at the knuckle will be relatively constant.

But since you asked, I'm currently at about -2.2* with maybe 2mm of clearance at the spring perch with 225/45 AD08R's on 17x8 +45 RPF1's. Already has camber bolts and slightly slotted upper strut holes, I'll be further slotting them to get more camber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
Depending on your width and offset, but I've gotten as much as -3* out front with 39et (45et with 6mm spacers) on 8" wide RPF1 with 245/40/17 tires with very minor rubbing. Do it. 10mm should be enough space.
Cool, that's the kind of info I was hoping for! Ideally I want space to get up to ~ -3.2* with the current wheels and tires.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
wparsons: what bolts are you using in slotted holes? Also how much camber may eg. 1mm slotting bring? Did you also used something to prevent slipping?
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
wparsons (05-11-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
solidONE

Lets see some pics after you're done slotting. I recall with 2 sets of SPC bolts the upper/inner part of the knuckle was only a couple of mm away from the main shock body when maxed out. (just to give a rough idea how much you might have to slot the upper hole)

The Following User Says Thank You to solidONE For This Useful Post:
wparsons (05-11-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #7
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Will, my Raceseng CasCam plates look wonderful after 3 years of Canadian winters. With the exchange the way it is, it would be an expensive solution but easy to align!
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
wparsons (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #8
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
wparsons: what bolts are you using in slotted holes? Also how much camber may eg. 1mm slotting bring? Did you also used something to prevent slipping?
Whiteline lobed bolts (same as SPC).

Quote:
Lets see some pics after you're done slotting. I recall with 2 sets of SPC bolts the upper/inner part of the knuckle was only a couple of mm away from the main shock body when maxed out. (just to give a rough idea how much you might have to slot the upper hole)
They've been slotted slightly for years, I'm just looking at slotting further. Currently I have like 2mm of clearance between the tire and spring perch, hard to get a picture in there though. My question wasn't about how much to slot, but if a 10mm spacer would be enough clearance for 1* more camber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
Will, my Raceseng CasCam plates look wonderful after 3 years of Canadian winters. With the exchange the way it is, it would be an expensive solution but easy to align!
That's good feedback Drew... might have to reconsider them.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #9
OND

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I remember going from 1.3 to 2.3 camber on stock suspension and the clearance loss was about "half finger", so around 5-6mm??

This is also verified by a very crude 608/2*sin(1) sort of calculation, which gives 5.3mm, so I'd say 10mm spacer should have you covered.
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OND For This Useful Post:
wparsons (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #10
solidONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Whiteline lobed bolts (same as SPC).

They've been slotted slightly for years, I'm just looking at slotting further. Currently I have like 2mm of clearance between the tire and spring perch, hard to get a picture in there though. My question wasn't about how much to slot, but if a 10mm spacer would be enough clearance for 1* more camber.

That's good feedback Drew... might have to reconsider them.
I'm just curious how much you have to slot to get 3.2. I have a set of stock dampers of a 15 I'm considering doing the same to.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
I'd love to get just by slotting upper hole some -2* + some insert/spacer in slot to prevent bolt slipping + use normal non lobed full strength bolt there.
And normal cambolt in lower hole, so i can get adjustment in -1/-3 range.

For now just gathering info on slotting (eg. how much slotting needed).
Also asked suspension shop to inquire Ohlins, what dimensions are for their Ohlins TTX rally strut slot inserts, as they look like something that will do what i wanted in first sentence. P/N: O-5794-00 (3.0mm), O-5794-01 (2.44), O-5794-02 (1.88), O-5794-03 (1.32), O-5794-04 (0.76), O-5794-05 (0.20mm offset).
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #12
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
I'm just curious how much you have to slot to get 3.2. I have a set of stock dampers of a 15 I'm considering doing the same to.
I'm actually looking for a low km set of new shocks as well, so I'll likely be re-slotting them if I can find anything and slotting enough to run the stock upper bolts.

In any case, I'll measure how wide the holes end up being and let you know.