follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #43
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber_TRD View Post
Seeing as Toyoda-san has been quoted saying he wanted to bring Toyota out of making boring cars. I could see why he's avoided the echo and prius, he's focused on the true, purpose built, performance cars. As for the other brands and their CEOs, there's a reason I side with Toyota and not them. (Well a few reasons, but that's one)

I'm not saying he should have put feedback into the car during development, but I do expect him to actually drive the car around a track and know a thing or two about vehicles, aside from brochure quotes. Especially with this particular vehicle and what it was supposed to stand for.
You do know that Raven FR-S I've taken pics of is Jack's FR-S right? He also told me that, he gonna buy another one
Old 07-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #44
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Maybe the new VP can finally explain why the foglights and spoiler weren't offered as launch options here like everywhere else in the world...

...even the BRZ had had those small items available since US launch...
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
SuperDave (08-03-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #45
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
You do know that Raven FR-S I've taken pics of is Jack's FR-S right? He also told me that, he gonna buy another one
The plot thickens.

It would appear...

@Saber_TRD...

Doesn't know Jack

Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #46
luxmn
First FR-S

Drives: Whiteout MT FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Maybe the new VP can finally explain why the foglights and spoiler weren't offered as launch options here like everywhere else in the world...

25k price point for the manual man, that's their target point, and imo there's nothing I'd rather lose to have fog lights and spoiler, they even lose the trunk liner to meet the price target. good value engineering if you ask me.
luxmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #47
Saber_TRD

Drives: '09 Cobalt SS Turbo
Quote:
I'm sure he does have one, it's a sound way to convince people to buy a vehicle. My question though, do you have a video of him driving it around a track? I mean really driving it and knowing what he's doing. Not daily driving it.

If I recall, in those threads people identified it as the 5axis prototype car. So technically it is "his car" as he is(was) running the show at Scion. So technically, before sold to a customer, they are "his cars". Marketing and PR 101, if you want to sell something, claim you use the product yourself. Toyoda-san takes it to the next level and shows people he uses the product.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #48
luxmn
First FR-S

Quote:
I'm sure he does have one, it's a sound way to convince people to buy a vehicle. My question though, do you have a video of him driving it around a track? I mean really driving it and knowing what he's doing. Not daily driving it.

If I recall, in those threads people identified it as the 5axis prototype car. So technically it is "his car" as he is(was) running the show at Scion. So technically, before sold to a customer, they are "his cars". Marketing and PR 101, if you want to sell something, claim you use the product yourself. Toyoda-san takes it to the next level and shows people he uses the product.
you say it like everyone who buys this car better be a racer and take this car to the track.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #49
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxmn View Post
you say it like everyone who buys this car better be a racer and take this car to the track.
No, but I expect the people who run the show to. They should be able to show me they know what they're doing so I have confidence in them and their product. Toyoda-san has shown he knows his stuff, Jack fumbles and puts up a front, like others have said, he's sleezy.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #50
luxmn
First FR-S

Quote:
No, but I expect the people who run the show to. They should be able to show me they know what they're doing so I have confidence in them and their product. Toyoda-san has shown he knows his stuff, Jack fumbles and puts up a front, like others have said, he's sleezy.
Toyoda-san is in Japan. The gt86 in Japan is a luxury sport car. Jack is in the US where majority pp buy automatic cars and shop for the bottom line. You're in a car forum, most of us appreciate the car way more than our co-workers and neighbors. If he constantly talks about racing the FRS I think he will lose more targeted buyers than if he just markets it as a spirited sport car for daily driving and let Ken Gushi demonstrates the racing aspect for the pp care enough to find out.

But all and all not sure why I get into this debate really, I just wanted to say Jack is a decent guy if you meet him.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #51
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,222 Times in 1,204 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
You do realize that most companies are run by beancounters and shareholders who only care about the bottom line because they invested the money into the company right? Everyone who is appointed a role is in that role primarily because they excell at that role and not because they are passionate about the product (if they just so happens to be, then it just makes things that much better, Like Toyoda-San).

And Toyoda-San didnt take over the CEO position until after their cost cutting and cheapening and push for #1 automaker status took its toll on the company's reputation. not to mention the uninteded acceleration fiasco. Only now is Toyoda's influence making its way through the company. The Lexus GS (and pretty much Lexus as a whole itself too), The FT86, The LFA i think may have been started before...i dunno. Most likely everything that was already planned and is still as vanilla as can be has already been pre approved before Toyoda was made CEO (like the redesigned Camry)

Jack Hollis? He was appointed as the CEO (or whatever his role was) of Scion since it was introduced. So he was probably just like any other beancounter but was probably younger than the other candidates.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #52
86fanatic

Drives: auto
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just have to laugh at all the armchair executives in this thread. You all have no idea what goes into a job like VP of Scion. Do you guys have executive management experience at Fortune Global 10 companies like Toyota? It is a lot of responsibility and his head is on the line if he doesn't meet company targets.

He's done for Scion with a minimal advertising budget what other brands spend hundreds of millions on.

I'm sure you all could have hundreds of people reporting to you, company executives breathing down you neck for results everyday, and still take the time to memorize and recite every engineering detail to make the forums happy, while still having any semblance of a work life balance.
86fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86fanatic For This Useful Post:
EsoBOFH (07-17-2012), Hanzo (07-16-2012)
Old 07-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #53
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post

Cost.
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #54
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,051 Times in 8,326 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:

Then why Jack put "custom" springs for his Raven FR-S? He could of just put all TRD and Five AD parts and call it good

I'm not gonna lie, he said that, that Raven FR-S is for "Show" car, but he did say, he wanted another FR-S for his personal car, so he can drive it around without any hassle for "Show"
Old 07-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #55
Hanzo

Drives: Waiting for the ND Miata
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Quote:
So Porsche CEO, lotus CEO, BMW CEO, etc dont know anything about their products? Car business is that, a business. Akio is an amazing CEO and I can't think of another CEO that goes out to race on a track but, that doesn't mean other CEOs don't know what they are doing.
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #56
Saber_TRD

Quote:
Then why Jack put "custom" springs for his Raven FR-S? He could of just put all TRD and Five AD parts and call it good

I'm not gonna lie, he said that, that Raven FR-S is for "Show" car, but he did say, he wanted another FR-S for his personal car, so he can drive it around without any hassle for "Show"
So no video. Got ya. I wouldn't be surprised, if you asked him, if he had no idea what those "custom" springs do or who made them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanzo View Post
So Porsche CEO, lotus CEO, BMW CEO, etc dont know anything about their products? Car business is that, a business. Akio is an amazing CEO and I can't think of another CEO that goes out to race on a track but, that doesn't mean other CEOs don't know what they are doing.
I never claimed other CEOs don't know anything, they very well might, but I don't know. From what I've seen of Jack though, he clearly does not, unless it's printed in a brochure which is all I've been saying.