follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #29
mazeroni

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Thanked 1,017 Times in 512 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladniko86 View Post
Update: took it to dealer, they couldn't go 70 but made it to 62 and said everything was fine. Computers read good too. The issue's still there they just couldn't test it basically. They didn't charge me a diagnostics fee either, which was nice
I hope that gives you peace of mind to enjoy the car and rowing your own gears.

If nothing else, you can just skip 5th entirely and go to 4th from now on. Rev matching will matter more and you'll get more satisfying power.
mazeroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #30
vladniko86

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazeroni View Post
I hope that gives you peace of mind to enjoy the car and rowing your own gears.

If nothing else, you can just skip 5th entirely and go to 4th from now on. Rev matching will matter more and you'll get more satisfying power.
Still don't trust them. They really didn't test the issue. I know I'm being picky I just love this car and don't want to hurt it in ways I can avoid. Probably going to end up changing the tranny oil then just leaving it alone
vladniko86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #31
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Update: took it to dealer, they couldn't go 70 but made it to 62 and said everything was fine. Computers read good too. The issue's still there they just couldn't test it basically. They didn't charge me a diagnostics fee either, which was nice
Thanks for the update.

Well now, there ya go - everything is OK -

Oh, that "issue's still there" could be like when I go to the doctor sometimes. Although, he didn't do anything but check me out and told me I would be OK, I would feel better -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:56 PM   #32
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Still don't trust them. They really didn't test the issue. I know I'm being picky I just love this car and don't want to hurt it in ways I can avoid. Probably going to end up changing the tranny oil then just leaving it alone
think changing the trans oil is pretty overrated...and depending on what you choose plenty of folks still comment that they still get very notchy shifts. I never changed mine out..instead I just adjusted my shifting grip last year thanks to @Tcoat after I noticed my father was throwing gears on my 86 better than me lol and ever since my shifting feel has been perfect. There are way too many variations out there with how people shift.

Too many of you folks are trying the "preventative care" route but that rarely works for automobiles as there are very few things you can catch before they break...and even if you catch a significant problem ahead of time, what do you expect would happen? The solution is the same either way, the dealer would just replace the hardware.. There have been quite a few posters here who were able to convince their dealers to replace their trans for similar notchy shift "problems" only for the issue to come up on the replacement so go figure
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (12-05-2018), vladniko86 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #33
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
My dude, if you're not feeling/hearing actual grinding during your shifts then you're almost certainly not doing anything to hurt the car. Like I said before, the resistance you feel when downshifting into 5th at speed is just the synchros doing their job. If you force or slam the shifter into place, of course its gonna feel like its fighting you a bit.

Changing the trans fluid will probably smooth things out a bit, but there's no replacement for proper technique. Light blip of the throttle, gentle but firm pressure on the shifter, and you'll feel it slip into gear like it should. I think you're worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (12-05-2018), vladniko86 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #34
vladniko86

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbaker View Post
My dude, if you're not feeling/hearing actual grinding during your shifts then you're almost certainly not doing anything to hurt the car. Like I said before, the resistance you feel when downshifting into 5th at speed is just the synchros doing their job. If you force or slam the shifter into place, of course its gonna feel like its fighting you a bit.

Changing the trans fluid will probably smooth things out a bit, but there's no replacement for proper technique. Light blip of the throttle, gentle but firm pressure on the shifter, and you'll feel it slip into gear like it should. I think you're worrying about a problem that doesn't exist.
Alright then, thanks for bearing with me yall!
The Following User Says Thank You to vladniko86 For This Useful Post:
qcbaker (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 02:03 PM   #35
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
think changing the trans oil is pretty overrated...and depending on what you choose plenty of folks still comment that they still get very notchy shifts. I never changed mine out..instead I just adjusted my shifting grip last year thanks to @Tcoat after I noticed my father was throwing gears on my 86 better than me lol and ever since my shifting feel has been perfect. There are way too many variations out there with how people shift.

Too many of you folks are trying the "preventative care" route but that rarely works for automobiles as there are very few things you can catch before they break...and even if you catch a significant problem ahead of time, what do you expect would happen? The solution is the same either way, the dealer would just replace the hardware.. There have been quite a few posters here who were able to convince their dealers to replace their trans for similar notchy shift "problems" only for the issue to come up on the replacement so go figure
I have been an active participant in the car "culture" for over 40 years and active in forums going back to when the DSM cars were still new but have never seen a vehicle where so many people so stridently try to find something wrong with every little thing. I fully understand that to many it is their first new car or even their first ever car but they need to relax a bit. It may be that the horror stories are too easily relayed (and often wrong) and the success stories go ignored but there is something about this car that just seems to create panic.

Quote:

The car is more tactile than many but that is more due to design constraints and compromise than anything. They could indeed give it a buttery smooth shifter, a silent cabin, a perfect ride, etc, etc, but it all costs money or to give up something else. There are nice heavy, quiet, easy shifting coupes that exist if that is what people truly want. Owners need to learn the idiosyncrasies of the car and adjust driving to them don't expect to change the whole car to meet individual styles.
e_lunatic (12-07-2018), HKz (12-05-2018), humfrz (12-05-2018), mgarcia707 (12-06-2018), qcbaker (12-05-2018), vladniko86 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 05:09 PM   #36
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
As was mentioned above, there have been many threads here about the notchy transmission or crunchy shifts. Mine shifted up and down smoothly for the first 65K miles, and I had no idea what these guys were talking about.

Then I had an engine replacement under warranty, mated up to the same transmission. When I got the car back I immediately noticed crunchy shifts downshifting into 5th or 3rd. So I took the car back and asked them to check it.

I had the same experience you had. They couldn't feel it. The mechanic who installed the engine (a younger guy who drives a heavily modified STI) drove it and said it seemed normal. So he rode along with his hand on the side of the transmission tunnel as I drove. It would crunch, I would say, "There! Did you feel that?" And he would say, "Not really. It seems normal."

It has smoothed out somewhat, but it still crunches. Apparently it really is normal. 30K miles later it still works, so I have resolved not to worry about it.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #37
accwai
初級成員

Drives: 2017 86, 2010 Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
[...] Light blip of the throttle, gentle but firm pressure on the shifter, and you'll feel it slip into gear like it should. [...]
Blip throttle with clutch pedal pressed or not? If the transmission has a little synchro glitch, revmatching wouldn't do anything. One needs to double clutch to get rid of the glitch.

As for the light blipping, we're talking 6th to 5th at 70mph here. Off the top of my head, engine rpm would be >3000 before the shift and >4000rpm after. Light to me means something around 2000rpm. That won't be enough to revmatch properly. It's suggested early in this thread to go to 4th instead, since OP said only 5th gear got the glitch. Engine rpm needs to be >5000 after a shift like that. It's hard to believe going from 6th to 5th at 70mph has a synchro glitch and going to 4th doesn't. I would double clutch if it's my car.
accwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #38
qcbaker
Shitpost Generator v8.6

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by accwai View Post
Blip throttle with clutch pedal pressed or not? If the transmission has a little synchro glitch, revmatching wouldn't do anything. One needs to double clutch to get rid of the glitch.

As for the light blipping, we're talking 6th to 5th at 70mph here. Off the top of my head, engine rpm would be >3000 before the shift and >4000rpm after. Light to me means something around 2000rpm. That won't be enough to revmatch properly. It's suggested early in this thread to go to 4th instead, since OP said only 5th gear got the glitch. Engine rpm needs to be >5000 after a shift like that. It's hard to believe going from 6th to 5th at 70mph has a synchro glitch and going to 4th doesn't. I would double clutch if it's my car.
I mean, you're not wrong. But, like I said to the OP, I think you're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Yes, double clutching to do the synchros' job for them would indeed alleviate shifting problems caused by bad synchros. But a notchy shift because the OP is trying to force the shifter into place rather than letting the shifter slip into gear normally is not a case of bad synchros.

As for the thottle blip, again youre right that blipping the throttle doesnt really have any effect on the act of shifting itself. The trans is not linked to the engine at that point, so blipping the throttle doesn't do anything to help the trans get into gear. But, a light throttle blip when downshifting is still proper shifting technique. I was just trying to give the OP advice that would help him shift smoothly.
qcbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to qcbaker For This Useful Post:
vladniko86 (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 10:22 AM   #39
vladniko86

Quote:
I mean, you're not wrong. But, like I said to the OP, I think you're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. Yes, double clutching to do the synchros' job for them would indeed alleviate shifting problems caused by bad synchros. But a notchy shift because the OP is trying to force the shifter into place rather than letting the shifter slip into gear normally is not a case of bad synchros.

As for the thottle blip, again youre right that blipping the throttle doesnt really have any effect on the act of shifting itself. The trans is not linked to the engine at that point, so blipping the throttle doesn't do anything to help the trans get into gear. But, a light throttle blip when downshifting is still proper shifting technique. I was just trying to give the OP advice that would help him shift smoothly.

If you guys really want I can set some candy up in my car so y'all can see how I shift? You won't feel it of course but I can include my tachometer too
Old 12-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #40
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
If you guys really want I can set some candy up in my car so y'all can see how I shift? You won't feel it of course but I can include my tachometer too

extrashaky (12-06-2018), Spuds (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #41
vladniko86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

Cameras
The Following User Says Thank You to vladniko86 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 12:16 PM   #42
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
As was mentioned above, there have been many threads here about the notchy transmission or crunchy shifts. Mine shifted up and down smoothly for the first 65K miles, and I had no idea what these guys were talking about.

Then I had an engine replacement under warranty, mated up to the same transmission. When I got the car back I immediately noticed crunchy shifts downshifting into 5th or 3rd. So I took the car back and asked them to check it.

I had the same experience you had. They couldn't feel it. The mechanic who installed the engine (a younger guy who drives a heavily modified STI) drove it and said it seemed normal. So he rode along with his hand on the side of the transmission tunnel as I drove. It would crunch, I would say, "There! Did you feel that?" And he would say, "Not really. It seems normal."

It has smoothed out somewhat, but it still crunches. Apparently it really is normal. 30K miles later it still works, so I have resolved not to worry about it.
There ya go -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote