follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #225
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,068 Times in 1,182 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The system is pretty robust. I'm not sure exactly how robust, but I know that on the 911 Turbo launch control can be engaged over 40 times in a row without fail. I'm sure the Turbo's PDK components are beefier than a Cayman's. But most people don't drag race with the car, and if you're out on a track all weekend you will do literally zero standing starts.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:01 PM   #226
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Not satisfied with the supercharger?
With all the extra parts, $, time and effort to tune the Cosworth SC properly (still have problem now), I really should have saved up for a Cayman!
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to botbs For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #227
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
With all the extra parts, $, time and effort to tune the Cosworth SC properly (still have problem now), I really should have saved up for a Cayman!
I am not sure who says to you that there is still a problem with the tune. Even the stock tune retards timing and quite often much more than what you have now. I had the same feeling 6 years ago with another Subaru car and I was ready to sell it, because I could see a similar behaviour with the tune. In the end I decided to not sell it and to stop logging it and worrying about. The car engine is still strong and without any issues. If there was any real problem with the new engines, don't you think Subaru wouldn't address it already? Especially, when Subaru's reliability history is much better comparing to Porsches and specifically the Caymans which are placed in the last positions(*).

(*) https://repairpal.com/reliability/porsche/cayman
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
botbs (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 10:39 PM   #228
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I am not sure who says to you that there is still a problem with the tune. Even the stock tune retards timing and quite often much more than what you have now. I had the same feeling 6 years ago with another Subaru car and I was ready to sell it, because I could see a similar behaviour with the tune. In the end I decided to not sell it and to stop logging it and worrying about. The car engine is still strong and without any issues. If there was any real problem with the new engines, don't you think Subaru wouldn't address it already? Especially, when Subaru's reliability history is much better comparing to Porsches and specifically the Caymans which are placed in the last positions(*).

I can still hear knock in Mode 1 @ 5000 rpm when throttle more than 50%.
botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:16 AM   #229
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
I can still hear knock in Mode 1 @ 5000 rpm when throttle more than 50%.
I am not sure if what you hear is knock. If you could really hear it, then the Advance Multiplier would be very low (less than 0.5) and normally this is related to bad quality fuel. I thought that you have now less than 4-5° Fine Ignition Correction?
Old 12-05-2018, 01:43 PM   #230
WolfpackS2k

Garage
Thumbs up

Quote:

That article (study?) actually came up in conversation on Porsche forums months ago. Nobody really knows how those figures were come up with. Consider me biased, but they honestly look like bullshit.

If you want hard info I'd recommend looking at Germany's TUV long term reliability reports for cars. These reports actually look at a car's reliability beyond 5 years of ownership. Porsche is always top 10, with the 911 often #1.

http://www.anusedcar.com/index.php/t...porsche-cayman

For my 2006MY, after 4-5 years of ownership, #3 most reliable out of 122 cars.

http://www.anusedcar.com/index.php/t...e/2013-4-5/558

Here's a sample year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (12-05-2018), Pat (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #231
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
That article (study?) actually came up in conversation on Porsche forums months ago. Nobody really knows how those figures were come up with. Consider me biased, but they honestly look like bullshit.

If you want hard info I'd recommend looking at Germany's TUV long term reliability reports for cars. These reports actually look at a car's reliability beyond 5 years of ownership. Porsche is always top 10, with the 911 often #1.

http://www.anusedcar.com/index.php/t...porsche-cayman

For my 2006MY, after 4-5 years of ownership, #3 most reliable out of 122 cars.

http://www.anusedcar.com/index.php/t...e/2013-4-5/558

Here's a sample year.
What the TÜV reports have to do with the overall reliability of a car? There is not a direct dependence. Before going for a TÜV examination, it is a common practice to service your car. If TÜV finds an issue, they will not fix it themselves. They will request to go fix it at your dealer and then come back for a second examination. In such case, you'll need to pay the examination fee twice and you usually try to avoid this. The only thing such rates can say is that Porsche has a good service support or that in general Porsche owners plan better for the TÜV exam comparing to other owners.
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (12-10-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 08:22 AM   #232
WolfpackS2k

Garage
Smile

That's asinine, because for starters what you just said would therefore apply across the board.

Quote:
TÜV reports - cars reliability ratings
German cars technical control organization assorts these defect rate reports yearly. A car model have to be tested at least 500 times to be assorted in TÜV report, so statistics are exact enough. But imagine how people use models in different ways.
Good luck finding a better long term rating system for vehicles.

RepairPal is some hack website. Their rating system is ridiculous. Unless I'm missing something they don't give you any information about their sources. Also:

Quote:
The average annual repair cost is $1,088 which means it has poor ownership costs. Repairs are more frequent and more lkely to be severe than the average car, which means you can expect more major repairs for the Cayman.
What does that even mean? Repair doesn't mean maintenance. If you don't perform your own service and take it to the dealership then oil changes and air filter changes will certainly cost you around $1,000 a year. Something that has nothing to do with the reliability of the car.

Porsche sports cars are some of the most reliable vehicles you can buy. They also always score very highly with JD Power, and have excellent ownership ratings with Edmunds. Find another source slamming Porsche ownership reliability and I might start believing you.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #233
nikitopo

How TUV knows about repair costs? They don't do any repairs themselves and you can have a TUV failure even because your tires need a change! Let's get a bit serious here ... ok?

Don't you like RepairPal? Check another study by WhatCar. It was based on the Warranty Direct's company data.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ity-table.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warranty_Direct
Old 12-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #234
WolfpackS2k

Garage
TIL that nikitopo thinks that the more expensive the maintenance of a car, the less reliable it is.

The Following User Says Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
fatoni (12-06-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #235
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Porsche sports cars are some of the most reliable vehicles you can buy. They also always score very highly with JD Power, and have excellent ownership ratings with Edmunds. Find another source slamming Porsche ownership reliability and I might start believing you.

Literally every site I've looked at (Edmunds, JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc.) backs this up. I'm not familiar with these two-bit sites he's referencing though. I'm sure most of us aren't and that speaks to their credibility.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #236
conehead

Drives: RS 2.0
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yardjass View Post
Literally every site I've looked at (Edmunds, JD Power, Consumer Reports, etc.) backs this up. I'm not familiar with these two-bit sites he's referencing though. I'm sure most of us aren't and that speaks to their credibility.

I'll just add that these sites generally just count the number of repairs a new car needs. A touchscreen that needs to be reset is one repair, and engine replacement is also one repair. It would be better if they calculated how often the car left you stranded, cost to repair, or days it was in the shop, but that would be hard to generate.

From watching my friends who have Porsches, they are expensive just like all other exotics and European cars. There is no getting around it. Maintenance is frequent and costly, and time consuming for the DIYer. Parts, even standard parts like brake pads, cost at least twice as much. Performance parts are even more. Special tools are often required. When it does break, and they do break, its going to hurt. Even if they are "reliable" the total cost of ownership is brutal. You could have a domestic or Japanese sports car and a track rat for less. That said, if I was truly wealthy, I would have a Cayman in my 10 car garage.
conehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to conehead For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (12-19-2018)
Old 12-10-2018, 12:14 PM   #237
nikitopo

Quote:
TIL that nikitopo thinks that the more expensive the maintenance of a car, the less reliable it is.
Extended warranty doesn't mean extended maintenance! The information linked above was used to rank the car manufacturers and models by reliability, and allocate a "Warranty Direct Rating".
Old 12-19-2018, 04:39 AM   #238
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
The system is pretty robust. I'm not sure exactly how robust, but I know that on the 911 Turbo launch control can be engaged over 40 times in a row without fail. I'm sure the Turbo's PDK components are beefier than a Cayman's. But most people don't drag race with the car, and if you're out on a track all weekend you will do literally zero standing starts.
I recently met a older gentleman ( about in his early 70's) , who bought a '14 base cayman, burgundy color, with PDK. I forget if he said he bought it new, or possibly with only 2-3k miles on the car when he got it. Anyway, the first year that he had it in 2015 , he had about 5-6k miles on the car and he was about 15 miles from home and the car would not move out of 1st gear. PDK broke !! Stuck in 1st gear !! They towed the car back up to the Monterey dealer, and they tried diagnosing the PDK issue. At first, they got a module from a Porsche dealer back in New Jersey, that could tap into the PDK system to see what the issue was. They were unable to fix it after having the car 2-3 weeks , so they dropped the original tranny, and got him a new PDK tranny.
Granted, that was just one example , on person, one car ….. one love. I'm sure there is at least one more out there, similar situation /circumstance.

I'd go manual, 6spd. I'd also go '12 Cayman R ….. manual …. the right color, the right situation.
botbs (12-19-2018), nikitopo (12-19-2018), WolfpackS2k (12-19-2018)