follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 12-17-2018, 10:59 PM   #15
Merc

Drives: Subaru brz 2013 LS1 swap
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How are people wiring up there stock fuel pump? I have the stock fuel pump with the wires cut and spliced bypassing the fuel pump controller. Im using the brz ecu and the ls ecu. I did a simple wire harness set up with a couple of relays and wires for 12volt constant 12volt keyed, and 12 volt for the fuel pump from a relay. Ive been going over the wiring and i only see a 20a fuse but no relay in the fuse box? Am i just putting that 12volt feed to one end of the fuse?
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:12 AM   #16
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
How are people wiring up there stock fuel pump? I have the stock fuel pump with the wires cut and spliced bypassing the fuel pump controller. Im using the brz ecu and the ls ecu. I did a simple wire harness set up with a couple of relays and wires for 12volt constant 12volt keyed, and 12 volt for the fuel pump from a relay. Ive been going over the wiring and i only see a 20a fuse but no relay in the fuse box? Am i just putting that 12volt feed to one end of the fuse?
I did the same bypass, left the OEM ecu to power the fuel pump via the original relays and wiring.
spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitsnaugle For This Useful Post:
Merc (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #17
Merc

Thank you again sir that makes sense. The wiring diagrams for fueling system on the brz are tough to follow. So basically I can eliminate that relay and I don't need the signal from ls ecu at all for fuel pump. I'm about to wire up a couple relays for the fans (stock currently because budget) or is there an easy fix using stock relays in fuse box? I notice there are 3 relays on the diagram and read else were they are a little weird.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:41 AM   #18
spitsnaugle

Quote:
Thank you again sir that makes sense. The wiring diagrams for fueling system on the brz are tough to follow. So basically I can eliminate that relay and I don't need the signal from ls ecu at all for fuel pump. I'm about to wire up a couple relays for the fans (stock currently because budget) or is there an easy fix using stock relays in fuse box? I notice there are 3 relays on the diagram and read else were they are a little weird.
I think I'm reading you right. just to clarify, you can eliminate the fuel pump relays from the LS side of the harness if they're included. not the oem side. the bypass still uses the oem relay to turn pump on and off, it just removes the OEM computer's control to reduce power.

you need the LS harness to control the fans, either running a wire(or two) into the fusebox to trigger the OEM relays, or by a separate relay and to the fans.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #19
Merc

Here's a couple of pics so far. Modded the old gto alternator wiring into the brz spot for the alternator in the fuse box and the white wire as well as hooking up the brown wire to a 194 then to an ignition on source tbd. I went over the diagrams and it does seem simple enough to use the BRZs relays looks like fan. 1 signal triggers 2 of the 3 relays and fan 2 signal does the other. There is a pic of the fuel pump controller wires I cut and soldered. Other then that just looking at best place in the fuse box to get the switched power from.
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #20
rob 2fast4u

Drives: 2JZ BRZ
I was also thinking of ditching all the OEM wiring and just running the basics and a few little features (windows, heated seats, lights, door locks, head unit, HVAC) the only im not sure of is the blower motor and the HVAC controls need the rest of the can bus systems to operate or can I just deepin most the harness out and leave the hvac system to itself and feed it 12v
Old 12-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #21
Zer0

Drives: 2015 frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I will be finding out. In reality everything should work on 12 volts dc. It's just a matter of looking at the wiring diagram, and figuring out how to rewire without the can bus system controlling each device with a low voltage signal, Or removing the factory can bus system, and putting in your own can bus controler. Power steering and ABS would be the most difficult I would think. They are not simple on off devices.
I'm not keeping the stock abs, and I don't mind going with a different electric power steering unit.
I'm hoping someone starts down this path before I do. If not it's going to be a pain in the ass.

Last edited by Zer0; 12-21-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #22
rob 2fast4u

Drives: 2JZ BRZ
I think next winter I'll be tackling this,... and I think you're right about the power steering at the moment I have mine working without canbus but it cuts out randomly sometimes... I have deleted my abs completely in the engine bay since theres not really a need for it as its not a winter car and I don't plan on pressing as hard as I can on the brakes while I turn lol for everything else should be pretty simple other than HVAC...

It would be nice to get rid of all the other stuff and all the different box's! have you seen the wiring diagram its crazy how many sub systems there are.

I was also thinking of getting an aftermarket keyless system that can replace the stock can bus/ antitheft system computers
Old 12-23-2018, 01:51 AM   #23
Zer0

Drives: 2015 frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Yeah I have the wireing diagram saved to my drive. Lots of sub systems. Not sure what I'm doing for anti theft yet. I will be starting on getting the engine in, and wiring it up within a couple of months. Working too much to get anything done right now.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #24
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Little late to the party but is your push to start aftermarket? That should be running a bypass module already so it shouldn't give you trouble with the stock security systems. I think the MRS module is supposed to cover "most" of the other stuff. Now if you went with a standalone, the Nemesis is supposed to retain all functionality EXCEPT cruise control.
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:01 PM   #25
Merc

How are people wiring up after market gauges for water temp. More specifically using a brz/frs sensor in the system some where and an aftermarket or an ls sensor and aftermarket? I'm still sorting a canbus solution out as well.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #26
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
How are people wiring up after market gauges for water temp. More specifically using a brz/frs sensor in the system some where and an aftermarket or an ls sensor and aftermarket? I'm still sorting a canbus solution out as well.
LS water temp sensor is on the driver side head or close to it IIRC. If you want an aftermarket one for a gauge you'll need to put it in the coolant line somehow. That'll depend on what kind of hoses you are using. It'll boil down to some kind of splice/interruption in the hose with a sensor port in it. Maybe there is a thermostat housing with a sensor port?

PS, there may be a plug in the engine somewhere that can be replaced with a sensor that I'm unaware of.
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:25 PM   #27
spitsnaugle

Quote:
OEM temp gauge working here via MRS device canbus translator.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:16 PM   #28
Merc

OEM 86 sensor correct? Where did you add yours in. Mrs said they don't have a unit for an ls1 unfortunately but trying to find an alternative. I would attempt adruino but I need a new home computer or laptop so i would be dropping a few hundred either way.