follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-15-2016, 06:45 PM   #1
nickw14

Drives: Built FA20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Review of ACT SB7-XTG6 6 Puck Clutch

Hi guys! I recently became sponsored through ACT. My car is boosted on 11psi making 350whp now. The stock clutch was able to hold my previous tune on 9psi (290whp/230wtq) for a couple of months before it started slipping in 6th, 4th, and 5th respectively.

I'm not really sure how much more I want to do to my car. 350whp is ridiculous, it feels amazing. However, in the event I want to run ethanol and go a little bit higher, I ended up going with the ACT SB7-XTG6 which can hold up to 445 ftlbs of torque at the flywheel. Here are some pictures of the kit:

So how does it feel? AWESOME. Let me warn you, it does not drive like stock. But this clutch bites and it bites hard! Don from Accelerated Performance even said after tuning it that this was one of the heaviest clutches he's driven. So here are my immediate observations when I drove the car for the first time:

- The pedal travel is shorter
- The engagement point is about the same spot as it is stock, but it fully engages a lot faster than the stock clutch does
- While ACT advertised mild gear rattle, I don't hear it.
- Wheel hop increases. I honestly don't know why.

I've had the car done and driving for maybe 5 days now, so here are my observations after several highway trips and plenty of street driving, including to and from work:

- Street driving is somewhat of a chore. But hey, this is a race clutch. When I'm by myself, a little jerkiness doesn't bother me. But until you get used to the new clutch, you're gonna have a little jerkiness.
- Highway driving is awesome. I mean straight awesome. Full boost revving the car almost all the way out feels great, absolutely no slipping (obviously), down shifts are so smooth, up shifts feel so good and it just keeps pulling.
- There is no distinguishable difference from what I can tell between the clutch when it's cold and when it's warmed up. This is good in my opinion, I prefer a consistent feel.

I would recommend this clutch or really any ACT product to anyone looking to put down some power. This kit was less than $1000 and is going to work just fine for the foreseeable future. It's not an insanely heavy or undrivable clutch and you most definitely can daily on it!
nickw14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickw14 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (03-15-2016), M1K3 (03-16-2016)
Old 03-15-2016, 08:11 PM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
If you deleted the clutch assist spring, put it back in, and the pedal will be lighter.

Otherwise, while it may feel heavy to you now, you'll acclimate within a week or two, and everything else will become light to you. It's all relative. The CSG BRZ uses the same pressure plate, and I don't even notice it
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote