follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #99
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Jfc, it was a rhetorical question shot @Tcoat, not some offer to share anecdotes.
Posting a rhetorical question on a public forum and not expecting someone else to answer it is like knowingly wearing a kick me sign and being surprised when kicked.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:58 PM   #100
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Posting a rhetorical question on a public forum and not expecting someone else to answer it is like knowingly wearing a kick me sign and being surprised when kicked.
I was busting your balls man. We all know this car is fun to drive.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #101
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I was busting your balls man. We all know this car is fun to drive.
Some people miss the whole idea of banter on forums and take every statement as serious. In this case anybody that has not seen our many exchanges will read what we say totally different then each of us knows is actually going down.
JSube (05-27-2018), Summerwolf (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:14 PM   #102
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Some people miss the whole idea of banter on forums and take every statement as serious. In this case anybody that has not seen our many exchanges will read what we say totally different then each of us knows is actually going down.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
JSube (05-27-2018), Tcoat (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #103
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Was my comment not banter as well?
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #104
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Was my comment not banter as well?
LOL Could be!
NoHaveMSG (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #105
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Forums are SRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #106
Rai-zero

Drives: Legacy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
yesterday some goober in a SUV in front of me was turning left off a two lane backroad where we are traveling 40 mph, I figure he’d slow down to turn but instead he stops because there was a car coming in the opposite direction but like 50 yards off, and he kind of shades more to the right instead of hugging the center line. So here I’m in 5th gear was planning that he would just slow down so I’m right on him and he stops and he’s closer to the shoulder than the center line. So I need to slow way the hell down to pass him, and I’m new to this car and wasn’t quite thinking so I’m probably 10 mph in 5th gear giving him a wtf beep of the horn and of course I can’t accelerate at all.

This is one instance where you can really miss any power down low. Plus turning yourself after slowing down you just need to remember you are not in a normal car, it’s both a manual transmission and it’s got zero power at 1000 RPM (not a problem in first gear but otherwise you never want to be in 1-2000 rpms).
Rai-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rai-zero For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:06 AM   #107
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai-zero View Post
yesterday some goober in a SUV in front of me was turning left off a two lane backroad where we are traveling 40 mph, I figure he’d slow down to turn but instead he stops because there was a car coming in the opposite direction but like 50 yards off, and he kind of shades more to the right instead of hugging the center line. So here I’m in 5th gear was planning that he would just slow down so I’m right on him and he stops and he’s closer to the shoulder than the center line. So I need to slow way the hell down to pass him, and I’m new to this car and wasn’t quite thinking so I’m probably 10 mph in 5th gear giving him a wtf beep of the horn and of course I can’t accelerate at all.

This is one instance where you can really miss any power down low. Plus turning yourself after slowing down you just need to remember you are not in a normal car, it’s both a manual transmission and it’s got zero power at 1000 RPM (not a problem in first gear but otherwise you never want to be in 1-2000 rpms).
All the down low power in the world will not overcome being in the totally wrong gear. It isn't a power issue at that point it is a problem getting that power to the wheels.
guybo (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 08:16 AM   #108
Rai-zero

Drives: Legacy
Quote:
All the down low power in the world will not overcome being in the totally wrong gear. It isn't a power issue at that point it is a problem getting that power to the wheels.
Ok true which is why most people are buying Automatic and PDK transmission. I’m not saying they’re better than MT but they are easier to drive and I think even professional drivers will say the twin clutch is quicker in most situations.

I had a DCT in the M3 and it was so quick downshift but it wasn’t quite as engaging or fun as the BRZ 6MT.

But it’s true more my fault than the cars fault. But in this situation where I’m not planning on slowing down until he decides to stop. This was really a wtf why is this guy stopping, and it wasn’t an unexpected like emergency stop he was slowing down like normal people do when they turn but he just decided to not turn for no reason whatsoever. And didn’t help that he drifted towards the shoulder which is a pet peeve of mine if you are turning left there’s no reason to swin out right, it’s not like he’s driving a tractor trailer and needs extra room to turn or anything.

I can’t help but think if it’d be different situation as above if I were in a GTi with 258-TQ at 1500 rpms instead of our car with maybe 80-TQ at 1500.

Last edited by Rai-zero; 04-18-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Rai-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #109
Tcoat

Quote:
Ok true which is why most people are buying Automatic and PDK transmission. I’m not saying they’re better than MT but they are easier to drive and I think even professional drivers will say the twin clutch is quicker in most situations.

I had a DCT in the M3 and it was so quick downshift but it wasn’t quite as engaging or fun as the BRZ 6MT.

But it’s true more my fault than the cars fault. But in this situation where I’m not planning on slowing down until he decides to stop. This was really a wtf why is this guy stopping, and it wasn’t an unexpected like emergency stop he was slowing down like normal people do when they turn but he just decided to not turn for no reason whatsoever. And didn’t help that he drifted towards the shoulder which is a pet peeve of mine if you are turning left there’s no reason to swin out right, it’s not like he’s driving a tractor trailer and needs extra room to turn or anything.

I can’t help but think if it’d be different situation as above if I were in a GTi with 258-TQ at 1500 rpms instead of our car with maybe 80-TQ at 1500.

You would not have been able to use that torque in fifth gear even though it was there.
This is why you down shifts as slowing down so that you are always in or close to the right gear for the speed you are going.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #110
kb3dow

Drives: Honda Accord
Quote:
... so I’m probably 10 mph in 5th gear giving him a wtf beep of the horn and of course I can’t accelerate at all.
10mph in 5th gear? No 6spd car (I can think of) can help you there.
kb3dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:45 AM   #111
SCQTT
ZWEI KOLBEN

Drives: 2017 86 Halo 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Never understood the "drive something slow fast rather than something fast slow" mentality.

I have always enjoyed driving a fast car no matter what I was doing with it, even just commuting at 70 mph on cruise.

That applied to my sport bikes as well.
Well for starters you live in northern IN, so I guess you are mostly talking about flat, straight roads.

Try being stuck riding a Suzuki Hayabusa, a real honest to goodness 185MPH out-of-the box motorcycle, in stop and go Valparaiso traffic, traffic light to traffic light, 35mph for an hour.

Now, picture yourself on a KTM 450 Supermoto with a 110MPH top speed on some tight, twisty eastern southern IN road. 50-80 MPH 4 & 5th gear, hard on the gas, hard on the brakes.

Which would be more fun?
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SCQTT For This Useful Post:
Capt Spaulding (05-01-2018), JohnJuan (04-20-2018), Tcoat (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #112
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:

For fucks sake learn how to downshift son. You should be thankful you drive a low power car because if you had 500 HP at your disposal and you try that and you're going to bend a rod

IMHO this car is a little under powered stock. It handles like a sports car but pulls like a Corolla. I've never had a high powered car, so I'm not used to lots of power, so YMMV. when I switched to catless + E85 putting 200 HP/160 tq on the ground the car was perfect. I'm happy with the power now, the car is just on the verge of having too much power (for me) and not being fun anymore. The extra 40 HP gives the car the extra oomph it needs on the highway to pass, more power to have fun and kick the rear end out and that edgeiness to make it really fun even in a straight line.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (05-18-2018)