follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2018, 09:06 PM   #225
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
BRZ is a go kart. I drive a WRX and a BRZ back to back each week. They are both great but the BRZ is a bit more fun despite being much slower.
True story. I had a 13 WRX and while it was fun for short bursts of acceleration... the BRZ is more fun to drive in every other way.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #226
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai-zero View Post
meh,

Here is a car with ~200hp similar to BRZ in weight, speed.

1985 911 Carrera.

The BRZ has a lot of same fun to drive, character and small feel etc..

I don't want to presume, but aside from the status and heritage and what all the Porsche has, the BRZ is certainly easier to live with (comfort and convenience) as well as reliability. I think this is a fairer comparison than not.

You won't be hunting powerful cars but can have a lot of fun in the BRZ but almost have to look past the lack of power.

Oh god, I watched that video the other day. Don't get me started on the aircooled Porsche market right now... "Well this car handles like shit and I can't make the gearshift work but goddamnit I ~*NEEDED*~ one because everyone goes to Luftgekuhlt and 911's are on-trend..."

So. Many. Posers.

But back to your point, yes. The BRZ has similar oomph (but much less torque) to an old 911. It has similar grip to a really old narrowbody 911 as well (provided neither car goes crazy on wheels / super-sticky rubber). Your size comparison isn't quite there (the BRZ feels bigger on the road), but at least it's not too far off. The BRZ still feels small compared to new sportscars... it feels much smaller than a 991.

In terms of practicality, the BRZ's got a little more than a 911 but not a ton. Between the frunk and the rear seats / parcel shelf, you can get a lot of stuff into a 911. The only time the BRZ really comes out ahead is if you need to carry rear seat pax... in that case the BRZ's discrete trunk makes it much more useful. You can't really fit a suitcase into the frunk of a 911, but you can cram them into a BRZ trunk... it's ~*just*~ tall enough
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:21 PM   #227
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
Oh god, I watched that video the other day. Don't get me started on the aircooled Porsche market right now... "Well this car handles like shit and I can't make the gearshift work but goddamnit I ~*NEEDED*~ one because everyone goes to Luftgekuhlt and 911's are on-trend..."

So. Many. Posers.

But back to your point, yes. The BRZ has similar oomph (but much less torque) to an old 911. It has similar grip to a really old narrowbody 911 as well (provided neither car goes crazy on wheels / super-sticky rubber). Your size comparison isn't quite there (the BRZ feels bigger on the road), but at least it's not too far off. The BRZ still feels small compared to new sportscars... it feels much smaller than a 991.

In terms of practicality, the BRZ's got a little more than a 911 but not a ton. Between the frunk and the rear seats / parcel shelf, you can get a lot of stuff into a 911. The only time the BRZ really comes out ahead is if you need to carry rear seat pax... in that case the BRZ's discrete trunk makes it much more useful. You can't really fit a suitcase into the frunk of a 911, but you can cram them into a BRZ trunk... it's ~*just*~ tall enough
You also can't put a 29" MTB inside a 911!