follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #15
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by #944_10_Series_FRS View Post
No, the 6v power lead is the one next you your video+ pin. See the link for instruction on how to install this. This instruction comes from David Carter who supplies the 16 pins harness to members here;

http://ae64.com/Rear-camera-install-16p-BeSpoke.htm

http://ae64.com/Rear-camera-16p-operation.htm

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. If I wired the relay "trigger"(86) to the 6v 16pin on the HU would that work then? According to David:

1) You turn on ignition key (to ACC or ON), and HU receives +12V Accessory power
2) HU activates its +6V camera power lead
3) HU looks for a video signal from the camera
4) If the HU does not see the camera video within 5 seconds, it shuts off the 6V power and leaves the rear camera feature disabled.
5) If the HU does see a camera, it enables the rear camera feature. The HU shuts off the +6V supply after 60 seconds. Whenever you shift into reverse, the HU activates the +6V supply and displays the camera image. When you shift out of reverse, it reverts to the audio or navigation display, but leaves the camera powered for 60 seconds more.

So it will activate the 6V camera lead, power on the 12V camera through the 12V ACC line, "see" the camera and leave the 6+ line active for 60s and keeping the camera active and after 60s it will disable the camera. Just need a 6V relay now, or a way to boost the 6V signal from the HU to 12V.

Diagram:
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
#944_10_Series_FRS

Drives: 2013 10 series FRS #944
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
With the way you are thinking about it will work. So, if you run the 6v power into the relay, basically it will become a trigger power to trigger the relay to turn on the power. So, your camera will get 12v power from where you hook up your 12v power source into the relay.

the only concern I see is that can 6v power enough to trigger the relay to work. You will have to test this out. Make sense?
#944_10_Series_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #17
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
With the way you are thinking about it will work. So, if you run the 6v power into the relay, basically it will become a trigger power to trigger the relay to turn on the power. So, your camera will get 12v power from where you hook up your 12v power source into the relay.

the only concern I see is that can 6v power enough to trigger the relay to work. You will have to test this out. Make sense?
Using this I believe it will work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Omron-6...item1c1f2f6a15

6VDC SPST relay. Hopefully.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
Old 08-02-2013, 03:11 AM   #18
#944_10_Series_FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
Using this I believe it will work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-Omron-6...item1c1f2f6a15

6VDC SPST relay. Hopefully.
What is the voltage input for this? can it handle 12v?

If you haven't bought your back up camera, then my recommendation is to go with Rydeen duo zh07-150b. Mine works perfectly without relay and it is required a 6v lead which was hook up directly to that 6v lead from 16 pin harness.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
I'm doing the same thing on my BRZ, ordered the relay two weeks ago, going to install it this weekend. I too have a 6v trigger relay that's rated to switch up to ~24v. I'm going to tap into the cigarette lighter, my camera only needs 150mA.

I have a Metra Third Eye. at 6v, no picture. at 7v-9v, there is a picture, but it's grainy and bad. at 10v and above, the picture is significantly sharper. It's a $35 camera, so if it takes a $3 relay and a half hour of soldering to make it work versus the $140 Rydeen, I came out ahead.
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #20
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
What is the voltage input for this? can it handle 12v?

If you haven't bought your back up camera, then my recommendation is to go with Rydeen duo zh07-150b. Mine works perfectly without relay and it is required a 6v lead which was hook up directly to that 6v lead from 16 pin harness.
Yes, 6VDC is just the trigger voltage. Relay's have a bit of tolerance so even 5V or 6.5V would probably work. It can handle up to 30A at 120VDC which is more than enough for the camera. From ebay 4 for 6 dollars it's pretty cheap, I'd give them away for free but shipping it would cost more than the all 4 lol.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #21
nalc

Did you find a source for the pins, or are you using the svxdc harness?
Old 08-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #22
#944_10_Series_FRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalc View Post
I bought my from David @ svxdc. Beatsonic has this harness as well but it is selling at $69.00.

If you are familiar with electronic components and soldering. I think you can do this without harness base on the wiring within this thread.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #23
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
I decided to make my own harness using the following:
1) PS1 yellow component wire (male)
2) RCA coupler (female to female) to convert the wire to female which plugs into my cameras male side.
3) computer fan/on button pin sleaves to go into the pins (I couldn't find the same 16 pin harness anywhere). You can remove the wires from the computer pin sleaves to fit into the 28 pin connector.
The Following User Says Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
nalc (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
nalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
I decided to make my own harness using the following:
1) PS1 yellow component wire (male)
2) RCA coupler (female to female) to convert the wire to female which plugs into my cameras male side.
3) computer fan/on button pin sleaves to go into the pins (I couldn't find the same 16 pin harness anywhere). You can remove the wires from the computer pin sleaves to fit into the 28 pin connector.
Cool, thanks for the info. I was planning on trying computer fan pins and floppy drive connector pins, since that's what I had laying around. Do they stay securely in the 28-pin or 16-pin connectors?
Old 08-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #25
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Cool, thanks for the info. I was planning on trying computer fan pins and floppy drive connector pins, since that's what I had laying around. Do they stay securely in the 28-pin or 16-pin connectors?
Since the BeSpoke has no connector on the 16 pin, you use the fan connector sleeves on and those go into the pins of your choice. For the 28 pin since we are putting a wire into an existing harness, you will take a wire out of the fan wire sleeve and that will have a pin that fits into the slot on the 28-pin connector.

This is a pretty good guide: http://ae64.com/Pin_insertion_extraction.htm
The pin sleeve you are looking for is the red one in this picture: http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/6...pg_250x250.jpg
This one has 4 wires in it, you can use two of them and only wire the ones you need or you can get a sleeve with just 2.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #26
MmmDieselFumes

Drives: .
Just an FYI, when I was doing my camera install, I found out that for the HU to recognize that there's a camera installed, it needs to receive a signal from the camera within the first 3-seconds of turning the car "ON", else it will not enable the backup-mode.

So I don't think that idea will work, unless you turn on the car in reverse.
MmmDieselFumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #27
nalc

I confirmed, the 6v relay does work. I got one of the little rectangular blue 6v relays off of e-bay, hooked it up to the camera output on the HU, and use it to switch 12v from the cigarette lighter (I've got a rat's nest of wires in the center console, since I've also hardwired my radar detector there) to the camera. Works nice, although I'm pretty disappointed with the FOV of my camera - it said 170 degrees, and horizontal FOV is fine, but maybe the trunk lid is low or slanted or something, because the top of the screen is only like 10 feet behind the car. It works for doing adjustments when you're in a parking spot, but it's not good for reversing.

I also used the pins from a USB header, they were the best fit. My 3-pin fan connector that I disassembled had some goofy spring-loaded clops (they were like a P shaped clip that was meant to be pressed in by the pins), and the floppy drive pins I tried were too big.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #28
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
I confirmed, the 6v relay does work. I got one of the little rectangular blue 6v relays off of e-bay, hooked it up to the camera output on the HU, and use it to switch 12v from the cigarette lighter (I've got a rat's nest of wires in the center console, since I've also hardwired my radar detector there) to the camera. Works nice, although I'm pretty disappointed with the FOV of my camera - it said 170 degrees, and horizontal FOV is fine, but maybe the trunk lid is low or slanted or something, because the top of the screen is only like 10 feet behind the car. It works for doing adjustments when you're in a parking spot, but it's not good for reversing.

I also used the pins from a USB header, they were the best fit. My 3-pin fan connector that I disassembled had some goofy spring-loaded clops (they were like a P shaped clip that was meant to be pressed in by the pins), and the floppy drive pins I tried were too big.

Thanks for confirming. I will be doing this when my 6V relays come in from ebay