follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-23-2019, 12:08 AM   #1
black.86

Drives: 14 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS base series Monogram Headlight install questions

I have a set of USDM HID headlights from a Release Series FRS. I have read through all of the write ups I can find online and Im still a bit unsure about the DRL wire. I am installing these onto a base FRS w/ 6 pin connector. I am hoping someone with experience installing these can answer a few questions for me. Please note that I am a novice with wiring. I am wanting to achieve the “always on” LED strip without blinding people at night if possible.

1). Does the led+ wire (white LED wire) need to be completely removed from the headlight harness and spliced directly into the 12v wire that runs to the removed DRL resistor leaving only 5 wires actually connected in the headlight harness?? Or does the White led+ wire actually connect into pin 6 (parking+) and then the 12v wire gets tapped on the outside?

2). Is there a simple way to wire the USDM headlights for the LED strip to work as a DRL and stay on with low and high beam but at lower brightness?

3. Has anyone been able to utilize the diode dynamics always on module for this headlight swap?

If anyone has any clear pictures of the splice at the resistor box and the headlight harness that would be super helpful. Any help is greatly appreciated thank you in advance!
black.86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:19 AM   #2
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
  1. The simplified way to get DRL is to splice the LED+ to Resistor Power (Green wire in harness). However, this causes the high beam flap to always be engaged. See thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135275 | If you wire it to Parking Power, then it will only come on when you have it switched to parking or headlight mode and it will come on at full brightness.
  2. There is a way to do it, but I'm not sure I would call it simple. You would have to wire in diodes and resistors
  3. I haven't done it with the Diode Dynamics Module, but I have done it with Beatsonic's Module.

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 08-23-2019 at 10:47 AM.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
black.86

Thanks so much for your reply man.

I was reading up on the high beam issue last night.. so it seems that may not be the best route for DRL power unless its not a big deal?

I am looking at the beat sonic module now (http://www.beatsonicusa.com/dlm2ep.html) do you have any advice/ideas for getting this setup to work with the headlight swap for 6pin harness and would the DRL wire still need external power?

Im almost tempted to do away with the DRL all together and get this https://led86.com.au/products/gts-br...ight-connector , but I also don't want to blind people if it is really that bright at night.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by black.86 View Post
Thanks so much for your reply man.

I was reading up on the high beam issue last night.. so it seems that may not be the best route for DRL power unless its not a big deal?

I am looking at the beat sonic module now (http://www.beatsonicusa.com/dlm2ep.html) do you have any advice/ideas for getting this setup to work with the headlight swap for 6pin harness and would the DRL wire still need external power?

Im almost tempted to do away with the DRL all together and get this https://led86.com.au/products/gts-br...ight-connector , but I also don't want to blind people if it is really that bright at night.
If you follow the diagram in the thread I posted, you should be fine to use the LED as DRL. Basically you tap-off the High Beam Power and put it into LED+. Then, the LED will work as your DRL with like-OE functionality. You only need a diode in that scenario if you want to run an always-on module for dim night LED. If you're lazy, a straight-up tap through the resistor power will do the job. However, I prefer the method in the thread because I don't want to wear out my high beam actuator solenoid.

If you don't care about DRL and want dim LED at night only, you can get either the Diode Dynamics or Beatsonic module, and it's almost plug and play if you switch to or have an adapter to an 8pin connector (DD you can use out-of-box. Beatsonic you need to run one wire OR buy 2 modules).

The jumper you posted is a pretty clean solution. The price isn't bad considering how much the connectors cost on their own. I can't say for sure how they did the wiring, so even with the prebuilt jumper some work may be needed. This can be achieved with some simple tools if you require (just a screwdriver and small pick). Like you mentioned, I don't recommend running full power LED bar at night. I used to do that for a bit, and it is too bright for other drivers.

The LED+ always needs power from somewhere. That's how it runs, whether you use them like DRLs or not. You will always have to do some extra stuff on base model because the way power is routed is a little different on RS/Monogram models.

----

I can go into more detail on how I did mine, but I'm going to save my breath for now unless you decide you really want to get into the weeds.

Last edited by EndlessAzure; 08-23-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:53 PM   #5
black.86

Im doing some digging and came across some brief spec D instructions that mention wiring the DRL wire to the fuse box under the hood that will keep the DRL on when the car is on including with the headlights. http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/spec...l#.XWF3zC3Mzow Do you think this method would work if running the LED + wire to that fuse? Would something else need to be done to control the brightness?

Im not great at wiring just trying to find a somewhat simple install route that doesn’t require anything too advanced. Can you share anymore info on how you tapped from the highbeam power to the led +wire ? At this point if its easier, Im willing to just get OEM like functionality. Im using this guide from another member for reference https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byp...1GY3hNTkE/view
Old 08-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #6
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by black.86 View Post
Im doing some digging and came across some brief spec D instructions that mention wiring the DRL wire to the fuse box under the hood that will keep the DRL on when the car is on including with the headlights. http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/spec...l#.XWF3zC3Mzow Do you think this method would work if running the LED + wire to that fuse? Would something else need to be done to control the brightness?

Im not great at wiring just trying to find a somewhat simple install route that doesn’t require anything too advanced. Can you share anymore info on how you tapped from the highbeam power to the led +wire ? At this point if its easier, Im willing to just get OEM like functionality. Im using this guide from another member for reference https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byp...1GY3hNTkE/view

Depends on the circuit in the fuse box you wire to. Most methods, the power source is always on with ignition. That means bright LED at night.

I used that guide for general wiring reference. Like i said, the DRL tap mentioned in that guide will work to get the DRL working, but will also run the high beam flap.

See the diagram I posted in the other thread. Basically, you disconnect the DRL resistor. Then, you tap into High Beam Power from the car and wire it top LED+
Old 08-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #7
black.86

Thanks again for your help. Im going to try what you mentioned and tap from the high beam wire into LED +.. Might try to utilize the adapter I mentioned to preserve the OE wires.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #8
Kaleb765

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Raven Black
Hello! Did you come to a solution with this thread? I have purchased the LED86 adapters but get no LED strip functionality, what route did you go? Did you use the LED86 harness as well?
Kaleb765 is offline   Reply With Quote