follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-02-2019, 06:34 PM   #589
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Oh, my, a tool for the tool - what will be required next -

humfrz
Instructions for the instructions for using the tool's tool

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-02-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #590
Adamf220

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alright so my car is affected by this recall but I havent gotten anything in the mail yet I assume they are just busy with the other 30,000 or so cars affected but I was wondering if the dealership is gonna be butt hurt about my catless header and OFT tune. I assume it wouldnt matter since its off warranty and this is a free recall that they are doing but i just want to make sure. Im sure there are people on her that have work done to theirs and have had this recall done already. Im waiting till this spring anyway since there is a foot of snow on the ground here and im not driving my car in this stuff lol
Adamf220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:29 AM   #591
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamf220 View Post
Alright so my car is affected by this recall but I havent gotten anything in the mail yet I assume they are just busy with the other 30,000 or so cars affected but I was wondering if the dealership is gonna be butt hurt about my catless header and OFT tune. I assume it wouldnt matter since its off warranty and this is a free recall that they are doing but i just want to make sure. Im sure there are people on her that have work done to theirs and have had this recall done already. Im waiting till this spring anyway since there is a foot of snow on the ground here and im not driving my car in this stuff lol
Since it doesn't make uninstallation (if they even had to) any more difficult, I don't think they'd care. I think the only people who are going to get spoken to are those with top mount superchargers (Edelbrock, innovate, harrop, etc). But that's only speculation
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #592
MRCA1ST

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Called around to various Subaru dealers in Central/Northern Virginia, they all claim to be waiting on guidance from Subaru NA
MRCA1ST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRCA1ST For This Useful Post:
Bowflex (01-05-2019), mswbrz (01-05-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #593
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCA1ST View Post
Called around to various Subaru dealers in Central/Northern Virginia, they all claim to be waiting on guidance from Subaru NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Since it doesn't make uninstallation (if they even had to) any more difficult, I don't think they'd care. I think the only people who are going to get spoken to are those with top mount superchargers (Edelbrock, innovate, harrop, etc). But that's only speculation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamf220 View Post

There is a warranty on the repair work done which would very likely not be honored if you go in modded. But they should do the recall no problem since there is no extra work involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCA1ST View Post
I imagine Subaru will take some time. They have multiple vehicles to create a fix for and there is a part shortage with just Toyota which has far fewer vehicles.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #594
MRCA1ST

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I imagine Subaru will take some time. They have multiple vehicles to create a fix for and there is a part shortage with just Toyota which has far fewer vehicles.

Should be enough time to overnight some titanium valve springs from Japan, then I can just have them install those
MRCA1ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:28 AM   #595
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Got my recall notice in the mail today... I'm in California, so I need to get this done in order to get my vehicle registration renewed....was hoping to do it much later since my car only has 37k on it...dang it...
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #596
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
It seems that Toyoda is sending out the notice to owners well before Subaru. I haven't got one yet on my 2013 BRZ. Has anyone with a Subaru received a notice yet?
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #597
Awesom-0

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
It seems that Toyoda is sending out the notice to owners well before Subaru. I haven't got one yet on my 2013 BRZ. Has anyone with a Subaru received a notice yet?
Yes got my notice today 2013 frs. They can't really expect techs to replace valve springs right?

I imagine it would be a head assembly. And isn't there a updated head anyway?

We need a parts list from a dealership for this. No dealer I've ever seen for Nissan, Isuzu, and GM would have techs replacing valve springs and everything that goes with it.

You get entire head assemblys to cut down on problems because of the repair. If they cheap out on this many more will keep coming back pissed they screwed up something.
Awesom-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #598
Awesom-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
These repairs aren't "large" enough that it would be effective to do so with a national team of dedicated techs. That would only be cost effective if they can schedule the cars to all be there at once(nearly impossible) and the dealer has space to add 2-3 more techs/vehicles in the shop. Instead Most dealerships will have the same tech do repairs like this vs all of their techs.

My company does something like this. We only do it in certain cases and on a regional scale. We don't bring a tech from Texas to Work on something in Cali. Some of our locations will "borrow" the tech to come to their location for an item vs taking a big write-off for having someone do a major repair for the first time. But, this is the world where we have 100+ hour repairs.
Manufacturers usually avoid this at all costs. I imagine they will eat the expensive costs of new heads.

Yes you can replace valve springs without removing heads but almost always you don't want to. It's just a huge pain and takes more time if the head is even to spec.

I have never seen a head to spec over all coming off any engine. And we never did head work at a dealership or even send them out. New head assembly saves you a ton of time and effort. Even then some techs would just get an entire engine under warranty lol.

Anyways I'm digging around trying to find the parts list for the recall. Mines at like 27k miles and I'm not letting them touch it unless it's both head assemblies even when I know the master tech I can get to do it. We both went to college sponsored by a manufacturer.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #599
Awesom-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Some insider information. In Japan the work will not be done at the dealers place as in normal recalls, but in 8 service factory centers nationwide (2 places in Gunma prefecture, Tokyo, Iwate, Tochigi, Aichi, Shiga, Ehime ). The recalled vehicles will be transported from the dealer to the service factories for the work. Therefore it'll cost about one week per vehicle.
My letter from Toyota says it will take a day and a half. I imagine that will be new heads or it's not being done until it breaks.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:53 PM   #600
Awesom-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I wouldn't count on them doing all sorts of free extra work no matter if the part has to come off anyway. They will receive very little from Subaru for doing the work and are not going to throw away money on doing extra work on 400,000 cars. Doesn't hurt to ask though since individual dealers may be fine with it. Just don't get all pissy if they say no since they are a business and do have to make money the same as any other.
If removing the plugs is involved you just pay for the part or don't pay anything. Parts like that are free and part of the work, usually. Just ask and if it's not replaced you can just pay for the part. Techs usually are happy to install new parts while doing something else. Especially water pumps on timing belt or chain replacements. They definitely do not want a vehicle coming back that leaks coolant and be tied up in small claims saying that resulted in a damaged engine.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #601
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesom-0 View Post
Yes you can replace valve springs without removing heads but almost always you don't want to. It's just a huge pain and takes more time if the head is even to spec.

I have never seen a head to spec over all coming off any engine. And we never did head work at a dealership or even send them out. New head assembly saves you a ton of time and effort. Even then some techs would just get an entire engine under warranty lol.
That's because the head goes out of spec as it breaks in. That's part of my argument in favor of service over replacement. How could I, as a customer, offer to pay straight time extra to shim the valves?
Old 01-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #602
QHawk

Drives: 2020 86GT
Got the recall notice today from Toyota. I called my ever-reliable repair guy at the dealership, and he said it's a big job--12-14 hours, and the parts will have to be ordered. They're need the car for two days, and that will mean a loaner (no charge). My car's a 2013 FR-S w/about 34k miles. No symptom of anything apparent.
QHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to QHawk For This Useful Post:
Xenith (01-06-2019)